Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How much do you live off a week?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Apart from accomodation fees (as this varies person to person), how much do you live off a week for food, going out, toiletries, travel fees, etc?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now with my money and I'm proper stressing out.

I never budget which is probably my problem. I want a rough idea though on what I should be really spending.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    erm... i dont have a loan and my mum gives me £200-250 a month so £50-60 a week.
    I live on campus, so i dont have any travel fees.
    Anyhoo, i spend about 40-50 £ a week, on everything, not including accomodation. I don't find it that hard to budget for nights out or occasional shopping trips, if you save money on other things, for example buying cheaper brands of food, not buying 'luxury' items like magazines or things like drinking before you go out, then things won't cost as much and then you can afford to do more.
    I was bad at budgeting when i came to Uni, but its not really that hard, just set a limit and stick to it :)
    Food £15
    Travel (to work, uni, etc) £12
    Going out- hardly anything (have not life)
    Phone £7 maybe (depends if I get through to the bf in Brazil or not)
    Books for uni- Varies a lot. Maybe £150 a year in total
    Paper, pens, photocopying, student essentials- couple of pounds a week
    Shampoo, conditioner, soap, deodrant, tampons etc- £3
    Clothing- hardly anything (except underwear which I love to splash out on)

It really varies a lot from week to week. If I run out of everything all at once and need to buy an expensive book etc then it costs me more than average.
    I TRY and limit to £40-60 a week (not including bills), but the odd night out or shopping expedition in primark usually bumps it up a bit ;)

apart from clothes and social life i hardly spend anything. i walk to town and work, and cycle to uni. if at the end of the month you're really skint you can live for 2 weeks on £10-£20 easy (have done it before many a time :razz: )
    I'm awful at budgeting too. My mum gives me £100 a week and I get about £50 from a bar job. But I can blow £150 a week easily. I love shopping and going out so thats where most of the money goes. Never really added it up, obviously each week varies. Guess the bulk of my money goes on clothes, drugs, food, drink, club/gig entry, petrol etc.
    i spend on average £40 - £50 per week, the odd occasion its slightly more if i treat myself to a new outfit or summits
    food I usually live on about £20 a week

not sure about the rest. it's a bit tight at the moment because I just bought a new plair of glasses, cost me £200 :(
    food i generally manage on £12 a week.

i travel home at the weekends and that costs me about £3 each way.

the other stuff depends on what i'm doing that week.
    £70 a week, but i tend to eat out a lot, cause of the hours i work, i also included the amount i have to set aside for monthly payments etc
    Excluding rent, I can live on £40 a week (food/toiletries and going out) if I don't buy new clothes etc. I don't really pay for transport as I live 10 minutes' walk from campus!
    "it's a bit tight at the moment because I just bought a new plair of glasses, cost me £200 " I'd count glasses as an investment and £200 is what i'd expect to pay for them, if not £250.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i get £55 a week from work, and that needs to stretch me, as it costs me £35 in petrol to go home, so that doesn't happen all that often! i wouldnt worry too much hun, but try get yourself a part time job, or go to a temping agency.
    id say i probably live off about £100 a week :p being a student and all, that is way more than i should be spending.. but oh well :D
    I paid £45 per week rent, including bills. My mobile contract was £14 per month, my internet was £18 per month. I'd spend around £10 per week on fuel, and around £25 on food/smellies. Big bills, like car insurance and whatnot, I'd pay in a lump-sum over the summer, whilst having a job :).

However, I'm something of a tightwad. I planned my situation from the start. Something tells me that your finances have gone slightly pear-shaped part-way through the year, which would mean you were in a different situation to me and many people here...

Oh, I won the lottery at the weekend. I promised I'd sort you out if I did, so remind me next time I see you on MSN :). Not cashed in my £1 scratchcard yet, but when I do I'll put half my winnings aside for you :thumb:.
    i live erm slightly beyond my means i tend to spend about £80 - £100 a week but then i put in a lot of hours at my part time job so its not that much over
    It seems like we spend about 425 quid a week. Nice.
    Oh, I won the lottery at the weekend. I promised I'd sort you out if I did, so remind me next time I see you on MSN :). Not cashed in my £1 scratchcard yet, but when I do I'll put half my winnings aside for you :thumb:.

Not seen you online in ages! Where you been?

How much did you win? :p

Bunny_o, I have a part time job. I'm living off the money I'm earning at the moment!!!

How can some of you spend £100-£150 per week on top of rent?! :eek2:
    Mist wrote:
    It seems like we spend about 425 quid a week. Nice.

:eek: You two aren't students any more though are you? Even if you're frugle(sp?) in the real world, working and living when not a student has all those extra costs you don't have as a student. And, all without the student discounts too. Just getting to work every day adds up, especially compared to a stroll from halls to a lecture, lol. :grump:
    katralla wrote:
    especially compared to a stroll from halls to a lecture, lol. :grump:
    you wouldnt be saying that if you came to huddersfield, the big halls are 7 miles from the campus
    After getting my £500 bursery for the month and paying £411 for my rent i have about £80 quid a month to live off. My dad gives me £25 a week so guess i have about £55 a week to live on and out that i have to pay for food and £12 a week travel to my hospital placement.
    £40 a week. That's what I aim for anyway...usually end up going for more and it's almost entirely on drink.
    About £50 max. Although £22 of that goes on a driving lesson.
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Not seen you online in ages! Where you been?

How much did you win? :p

Everywhere. Finished porting my cousins cylinder head, and refitted it to his car. Today I was driving a huuuuge van, helping my sister and her husband to move house.

Rental vans are awesome for powersliding :cool:. I've left skidmarks all over Stafford! :D

I won a quid. Ticket is sitting in front of me, half of it is yours, naturally :thumb:.
    big spenders in here :/

what do really poor people spend?
    Someone elses money ;).
    big spenders in here :/

what do really poor people spend?

well i'm really poor till the next student loan (course i won't be rich after that but y'know) so i'll be skinting it. i won't be buying anything (other than toiletries and food) and the food i do eat will be mediocre. about £20 a week max. therefore won't be going out. well, i will once for my mates 21st.

i'm officially a poor student.
    Spend at least £100 a week, after uni and accomodation, flight tickets, etc. have been paid for.
    What I seem to spend the most on is cigarettes and clothes. And they're not exactly necessities (even though it seems like it). Though I have to admit that going to Starbucks and other coffee shops, as well as eating out at proper restaurants fairly often (at least once a week) also adds up.
    Then again, I really dont spend that much on drinks.

And don't worry. Just got a big lecture by my dad yesterday.
    i spend about £40-60 but it really depends on your situation and the things you need to buy every week. it's all about what you want and need and obviously buying stuff you don't need isn't going to help your dilemma!!
    how would anyone need to spend over £50 a week?

of course if people travel a lot, i can understand. but other than that...
    how would anyone need to spend over £50 a week?

of course if people travel a lot, i can understand. but other than that...

Costs mount up, it's entirely dependent on your lifestyle. Whether you drink a lot, smoke, take drugs, have the internet...£50 can become 50p almost overnight.

Rent, bills, books, entertainment...£50 is nothing.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Costs mount up, it's entirely dependent on your lifestyle. Whether you drink a lot, smoke, take drugs, have the internet...£50 can become 50p almost overnight.

Rent, bills, books, entertainment...£50 is nothing.

but it's excluding rent and bills? or am i missing the point.

i'm a student and i have a car to look after and a job.

i spend about £10 a month on toiletries, £50 a month on food and £30 a month on going out. also spend £20 a month travelling to work so that equals um..£30 a week ish. wish i could afford to spend more!

but i guess my week varies...some weeks i'll buy a new top or something, others i won't. some weeks i'll go out, others i won't. etc.