Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

College - sick of it!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im training to be a hairdresser, for the 1st year I loved it but now im gettin bored and just feel like i wanna quit and get a job! I know my mum and dad will be abit dissapointed so thats the main reason why im trying to stick it out!!! i do like college, but im just gettin bored and im starting to not like what im doing, my mates are nice and we all have a laugh, i suppose im also stayin on at college cos its an easy life - dont have to get up too early, come home at 3.30, have half days sometimes. I spoke to my b/f about quitting and he thought i was joking with him but im so serious, i just felt like quitting a month ago, i spoke to my mate there and she said 'you cant see the light at the end of the tunnel' and shes right, im at college for another year and half and i just want out! :( I love being a hairdresser but i just want cash and get out of college!

Just wanted a rant really!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well it could be worth dropping out and working for a while then..but i would definately reccomend college. i did an nvq when i left school which turned into a modern aprenticeship, it was bascially some guy coming out to my workplace twice a week and making me do shit loads of work. i hated it and soon as id finished i just worked.
    4 years after leaving school i did actually have quite a good job but i just realised i was never going to have any real earning potential because i didnt have any worthwhile qualifications under my belt. now im in college full time on my 2nd year and i'm really glad i worked for the time i did, i can see people on my course just tossing it off and not really being bothered but because this is something i really want now ive got motivation to complete the course to the best of my ability and continue on to uni.
    If i had just carried on with education back when i'd finished my aprenticeship however i wouldnt have been motivated at all and probably would have failed or dropped out.
    I'd try having a chat with your folks and see what they think. put this side of the arguement forward but i would definately say get some qualifications - they are the language of money in the world of business!
    Thanks for your advice, I know I should stick at it and I prpbs will, I worked in the holidays at a factory and really hated it! so i had it in my head to do well at college so i aint in a factory. i failed an essay a couple of weeks ago and i aint very keen on the haidresser place i go to for work experiance so i just think its them building up, my mate said it would be ashame to leave now. i thought about doing an NVQ, but i've done so much work and i think it will be a waste if i quit, but i just feel stuck in a rut!!! i spoke to my folks and they both said do whatever you want to do, if you want to leve college then i can - im 18 so i can do whatever i want or i can stay at college and get a good qualification and my mum and dad do support me, give me £30 quid a week spending money so its not like im reallly skint! I just feel sick of college, but im really gonna try my hardest to buckle down and get my head on and get enthuiastic (sp) like i used to be!!!
    just out of interest, what course/qualification are you doing?
    And what is it you are not enjoying? (finding the work too hard/much? not what you want to do? dont get on with teachers etc?)
    i think everyone gets fed up of studying every so often but its just something you have to do. its only a couple of years of your life and then you'll have that qualification for the rest of it.
    you've already done a year, so stick with it. its going to help you into the job you want to do so it will definitely be worth it in the end.
    Can I just say to the person who made this thread, I can totally empathise.
    icey wrote:
    now im in college full time on my 2nd year and i'm really glad i worked for the time i did, i can see people on my course just tossing it off and not really being bothered but because this is something i really want now ive got motivation to complete the course to the best of my ability and continue on to uni.

now lets be honest mate we aint done any work in class for the last couple of weeks so dont come that with me i know the real truth. 2day all we did was go on this and make images on photoshop
    doddie wrote:
    now lets be honest mate we aint done any work in class for the last couple of weeks so dont come that with me i know the real truth. 2day all we did was go on this and make images on photoshop
    :lol: aint that the truth! I'm pretty up-to-date with all my work though so i'm not doing too bad!
    icey wrote:
    :lol: aint that the truth! I'm pretty up-to-date with all my work though so i'm not doing too bad!

except the website that should have been in 2-3-4 weeks ago. im also doubting you have done the essay thats in for 2moz soz actually 2day have u?
    doddie wrote:
    except the website that should have been in 2-3-4 weeks ago. im also doubting you have done the essay thats in for 2moz soz actually 2day have u?
    Im affraid thats a big fat no on both those, everything else is done though (and i have finished the website just need to evaluate :p)
    I'm still more ahead than most in the group though, some even have assignments outstanding from last year :eek:
    icey wrote:
    Im affraid thats a big fat no on both those, everything else is done though (and i have finished the website just need to evaluate :p)
    I'm still more ahead than most in the group though, some even have assignments outstanding from last year :eek:

so have you unit 2 part 2 everones got that
    doddie wrote:
    so have you unit 2 part 2 everones got that
    maths? no. but only one person out of about 15 actually has so ner :razz:
    icey wrote:
    maths? no. but only one person out of about 15 actually has so ner :razz:

so thats what i just said
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aye, im in the same boat! I am fucknig fed up with College, have been for a while - but im nearly over, but god, it pisses me off now! But I just got to hold out until June I think( Think it is June I finish) then its over, adn I can get a job, and i'll find out if I passed or failed. But man, its getting me down, you know? Fuck it is.

But over soon. Either way, I think you should carry on and stick it out - it will be worth it at the end!