Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Indecency in Morocco

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going to Morocco in the summer (everything going to plan), we've been told to cover up arms and legs etc. for religious reasons. Has anyone been there? Do the locals actually get offended/care?

Also, did you feel safe, as I've always thought of it as a bit dodgy place?

What to wear if you have to cover up?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hmmmm its a toughie, best idea in the heat is to wear loose light covering clothing anyway

dont pay too much attention but remember when in rome
    you'll get the hang of it by watching whats going on.
    some areas are extremely tolerant but ...if your on the beach in your bikini ...remember you have to have something to put on should you move to another area.
    don't buy dope off kids.

they are usualy in the employ of the police.
    the kid sells you a small amount of dope ...the cops arrest you ...you have to find a cash or expensive jewelry bribe.
    the best place for dope is in the mountains and agricultural areas but ...the mountains are full of bandits.
    ...the mountains are full of bandits.

You make it sound like fun! :p

I didn't ever feel unsafe in Morocco, I had an excellent time although maybe if I hadn't been with my ex I'd have felt differently. Generally it's safe, if you behave sensibly. :)

It largely depends where you're going, what's "acceptable" varies from city to city and most definitely in less built-up areas. A lot of the local women in the cities were, imo, very smartly dressed and not always all that conservative. However most of the travellers we met were a bit more conservative, though I doubt many of them had their best shoulder-padded-suits and bling with them. I'd second the recommendation of looser-fitting light clothing, think linens - knee-length and longer light skirts, linen trousers, longer shorts etc. Depending on when you're going, you'll want to be wearing vest tops etc but less revealing ones are recommended! If you have blonde hair, I'd like to stress that you might want to take a headscarf/hat/both...I got quite a lot of unwanted attention from men who don't see it all that often. Especially off the beaten track.

The main motivation for dressing a little more demurely than in Alicante is because the locals may be a bit shocked or even offended if you saunter through the streets in a bikini and cut-offs. The men can be quite full-on, and the women are sometimes quite unpleasant too. Generally not though, so don't fret.

Oh, topless sunbathing seems to be a big no-no. ;)
    Thanks for the replies. I'll watch out for the bandits and dope :eek:

"I didn't ever feel unsafe in Morocco" this reassures me.

I think I'll take the advice for loose, light clothes.
    I don't want to offend the locals, the thought of an angry moroccan doesn't please me. But we're going in summer and I would prefer to be wearing strappy tops, oh well.
    Yer I'm blond, don't fancy the attention. Spose the sunkissed hair's a bit out of the question then.
    Topless sunbathing isn't an issue :)