Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

contraception

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im 17 and happily a virgin but have kinda got this semi relationship blossuming with a guy. the thing is i am ultra cautious about getting pregnant and dont want to use a condom alone but would also like to go on the pill. is it sensible to go on the pill before i have sex or is that weird. plus sounds naive but how would i go about this, like should i go to my gp or a sexula health clinic and would just like some general advice on going on the pill thanks

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    im 17 and happily a virgin but have kinda got this semi relationship blossuming with a guy. the thing is i am ultra cautious about getting pregnant and dont want to use a condom alone but would also like to go on the pill. is it sensible to go on the pill before i have sex or is that weird. plus sounds naive but how would i go about this, like should i go to my gp or a sexula health clinic and would just like some general advice on going on the pill thanks

Hi there,
    Welcome to the boards :wave:

It's not weird to go on the pill before you have sex. In fact several women go on it simply because it can help to alleviate period pain.

You can go to either a sexual health clinic such as Brook or your GP (whichever feels most natural to you is probably the best option - some people have a really good relationship with their GP and others don't) where they will explain the options available to you and talk about which option will suit you. They will also take your blood pressure as it's not a good idea to take the pill if you have high blood pressure.

There are different types of pills which each have their own benefits and draw backs. For example there is the combined pill and the progestogen only pill (otherwise known as the mini pill.)

Hopefully most of the questions you might have are answered in the fact-sheets, but if not, we've got some pill experts here on the boards who are bound to be able to help you with further questions you might have ;)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I went on the pill before i started having sex... mainly to sort out periods, but i'd started seeing a guy too, so would possibly need it for contraceptive reasons later!

Went to the doctors and i explained that i wasn't actually having sex, but would like to go on it anyway, and she said that it was fine, in fact i was praised for thinking about things in advance.

I was a bit, well, not scared about going to my gp, but wasn't looking forward to it, as he's quite old and known my family forever, so I asked to go to a female doctor and she sorted me out and was really nice. Really put me at ease