Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

South Dakota Passes Anti Abortion Bill

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1) I'd rather a woman didn't require the signature of two doctors.
    2) Not at this moment in time
    3) Birth.. Once, at the point of birth it no longer resides in the woman's body, it's its own person in its own right. Kind of makes all the, "Would you think it's ok to kill a 2 year old then" a bit redundant
  • Options
    (1) Do you believe that abortion laws in the UK are the right ones?

Should be made easier at the early stages.

(2) Would you support a reduction in the 24-week time limit that currently exists?

see question 3

(3) At what point do you believe personally that a foetus becomes a baby?

Around about 20-24 weeks, though given I'm not a Doctor I'm open to persuasion either way. Its at that stage (whenever it is) abortion becomes more difficult - I'm not saying abortion shouldn't happen beyond this stage but we need to balance the needs and rights of the mother against that of the unborn child.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    (1) Do you believe that abortion laws in the UK are the right ones?
    (2) Would you support a reduction in the 24-week time limit that currently exists?
    (3) At what point do you believe personally that a foetus becomes a baby?

1) They're almost there.
    2) No.
    3) I'd say, like go_away, when it can exist independently of its mother.

(I'm predicting contention here, because of course a lot of happily pregnant women would refer to their 12 week curavture of the stomach as their "baby". I think in those cases that's because it's what it is to become. I don't think that by definition it is a "baby" but a foetus.)
  • Options
    Abortions can be difficult to do for a number of reasons, not just the gestational age. The age of a patient can be a factor, if they have bleeding disorders, a weird shaped uterus etc etc.

But going by what you probably meant as gestational age, procedures change at about 14 weeks whereby a D&E would be needed. It doesn't make it anymore difficult to do from a surgical perspective if the professional is skilled but it's slightly longer and involves preparation of the cervix. Surgical abortions at this stage would require a general, so it doesn't matter if it's 14 weeks or 23, the foetus would be knocked out as the woman is too.

But if foetuses are going to be awarded rights, it's not just abortion that's an issue. There have been cases where women have been forced to undergo unwanted medical intervention i.e. forced c-sections in order to preserve the foetus.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What makes you think it wouldn't be cared for or looked after? :confused:
    well a pregnancy is usually terminated because the mother feels that she wouldn't be able to cope, not just with the baby after its born, but the whole pregnancy. i'm not saying ALL unwanted babies aren't looked after, but it can be the case. If the baby isn't going to have a decent quality of life, then its not really fair is it?
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    (I'm predicting contention here, because of course a lot of happily pregnant women would refer to their 12 week curavture of the stomach as their "baby". I think in those cases that's because it's what it is to become. I don't think that by definition it is a "baby" but a foetus.)
    The bond between a mother and her unborn child can be very strong. It's not one that a man can understand fully, I believe.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The bond between a mother and her unborn child can be very strong. It's not one that a man can understand fully, I believe.

Yes, it can. I'm sure they can't fully understand it, as they haven't experienced it.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Yes, it can. I'm sure they can't fully understand it, as they haven't experienced it.
    This has got me thinking about the debate in a whole different way now.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Well, the woman would obviously make an attachment if it were a wanted pregnancy. If someone's determined to terminate, no scan picture, foetal movement etc will change their mind.
    If the baby isn't going to have a decent quality of life, then its not really fair is it?

Quality of life is very subjective though, and not one that really stands for me in the abortion debate. For me, it's about the woman and the woman only. If she wants to terminate because she believes the infant won't have a good quality of life, it's up to her, but primarily for me it would be letting her exercise her right to bodily integrity.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

It can also be non-existent. Whats your point?
  • Options
    Ok so some women abuse the system. But most of the time women have to make a very hard decision. I'm sure they don't enjoy getting abortions. I'm sure if by some unfortunate chance i got pregnant before i felt ready to be a mum then i would opt for abortion. I wouldn't be over the moon about it and i would be very upset but tbh, my life should come first.
    Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    It can also be non-existent. Whats your point?
    Classic textbook Blagsta reply which means absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Classic textbook Blagsta reply which means absolutely nothing.

Good response as usual. Want me to translate? OK.

You're basing your argument on the fact that "The bond between a mother and her unborn child can be very strong" (even though, as a bloke, you cannot understand it). I'm pointing out that this "bond" doesn't always exist so its a useless thing to base your argument on, thus negating your argument entirely. See? Simple.
  • Options
    Nah he isn't.

SG is saying that a human is a human, no matter what stage of their growth.

Your just off down pedant avenue again because arguing is all you really know how to do. :p
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Nah he isn't.
    Your just off down pedant avenue again because arguing is all you really know how to do. :p
    Notice Blagsta never tells anyone that he agrees with the? :p
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Nah he isn't.

If he was talking about a human being a human at any "age" then what relevance does the father's lack of understanding of the bond have to do with the price of fish?

This is one step away from someone pedalling that old chestnut about "maternal instincts" out again, isn't it? Some women don't have them, some women don't feel "the bond" that's raved about. I mentioned how much I despise this argument in one of my first posts on this thread.
  • Options
    If he was talking about a human being a human at any "age" then what relevance does the father's lack of understanding of the bond have to do with the price of fish?

Nothing that's the whole point. It's just something else he brought up during the debate. Using it as a way around his basic fundamental point is a bit flimsy, imho. It's a good debating tactic I guess, but not very honest.
  • Options
    briggi

I find it helps to have klintock on ignore. Although I occassionally take him off it if I want a good laugh.
  • Options
    I find it helps to have klintock on ignore. Although I occassionally take him off it if I want a good laugh.

What was your last little sulk about again?

Oh yeah you asked me for some peer reviewed stuff and went back into paddyland when I produced some.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Nothing that's the whole point. It's just something else he brought up during the debate. Using it as a way around his basic fundamental point is a bit flimsy, imho. It's a good debating tactic I guess, but not very honest.

You'll notice I addressed both of his points, since he so clearly stated that we're all somehow questions and issues in this thread.

What was his basic, fundamental (apt wording there!) point again?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

:lol: Duly noted.
  • Options
    What was his basic, fundamental (apt wording there!) point again?

DId you read the whole thread?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    DId you read the whole thread?

Of course.

Though my attention wavered a bit when it turned into a choice/life debate, as I don't think that's actually the real issue here.
  • Options
    SG ques:

1. Don't know what they are, so no comment.

2. No

3. Birth
  • Options
    Though my attention wavered a bit when it turned into a choice/life debate, as I don't think that's actually the real issue here.

Me either.

SG's initial point that humans are humans no matter their stage of growth seems perfectly valid to me. Theres a lot of renaming going on, a sure sign of bullshit.

I made my own view clear enough and very oddly for me it sems to be something like the consensus view.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Me either.

Well we agree on something. :P

"Humans" are humans no matter what stage of growth they're at - adolescence, middle-age, death's-doorness. I wouldn't say that an embryo/foetus/zygote/cluster of cells/twinkle in its father's eye was, though.

All that renaming and hesitancy to define what "it" is could be indicative of bullshit, I'm not so sure myself.
  • Options
    "Humans" are humans no matter what stage of growth they're at - adolescence, middle-age, death's-doorness. I wouldn't say that an embryo/foetus/zygote/cluster of cells/twinkle in its father's eye was, though.

Where you draw that line though is only a matter of personal opinion. I am never in favour of using force to impose one woman's opinion on another.
    All that renaming and hesitancy to define what "it" is could be indicative of bullshit, I'm not so sure myself.

Theres an element of rationalisation in there too. If abortions get rid of some "collection of cells" or a "foetus" or whatnot it's a different thing from killing my son/daughter. It's a common thing in people to seperate themselves from acts they don't like but feel are needed in this way.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    go_away wrote:
    Given the tactics they employ to scare/shame/guilt women out of aborting, not to mention their attitudes to women who die of illegal abortion, it's a nice way of saying it.
    I will say once more that judging a whole group of people based solely on the idiots like those you describe is no different than saying that all Muslims are terrorists.
  • Options
    WTF?! :confused:
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    So belive me or don't. I don't mind. I just made a point. Say I havent backed it if you will, fine. I just honestly can't be bothered to search through the book to find it.

In this forum, you need to back up your sources, I have read the entire bible, and do not recall a passage that says anything to the effect of what you have said. Unless you can provide a reference, then you will have to retract your statement.

It wiould be expected with any other claim, and it is just as valid when you are making a claim from the bible.