Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I'm not racist, but...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
.. if you don't like it leave' says Trevor Phillips

Anybody who lives here has to accept that's the way we do it. If you want to have laws decided in another way, you have to live somewhere else," he said.

I am I the only one who thinks the man's a joke. He's either deciding everyone is institutionally racist or that as he doesn't like their views they should fuck off.

I'm not always in favour of some of our laws - should I fuck off as well. Or does it only cover Moslems?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4752804.stm

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    he's not saying that if you take issue with laws that you should just shut up and leave. What he is saying is that there are certain core values and beliefs to the British Government which can not be changed, and if people don't like those core principles they need to go somewhere else. I like him already.
    dont see anything wrong with that statement
    More bollocks from a statist believer who doesn't see his beliefs as beliefs, he mistakes his beliefs for reality.

This made me giggle -
    "That we have an attachment to democracy, that we sort things out by voting not by violence and intimidation, that we tolerate things that we don't like."

Anyone who has asked the tax man questions, or had a disagreement with the local rozzers will tell you that the government only operates through violence and intimidation.

Fucking moron. theres no "here" to run away from, for a start. What uk?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I'm not always in favour of some of our laws - should I fuck off as well. Or does it only cover Moslems?
    Yes you fucking should! GO HOEM!!1!11one

So you don't have a right to complain if you are foreign? wtf? What an arse.

I want to leave anyway, so it don't affect me!
    klintock wrote:
    More bollocks from a statist believer who doesn't see his beliefs as beliefs, he mistakes his beliefs for reality.

This made me giggle -

Anyone who has asked the tax man questions, or had a disagreement with the local rozzers will tell you that the government only operates through violence and intimidation.

Fucking moron. theres no "here" to run away from, for a start. What uk?
    :lol: Klintock, you are a one of a kind (and I mean that in a good way).
    :lol: Klintock, you are a one of a kind (and I mean that in a good way).
    Yeah. This place benefits from Klintock alot. Top lad. It'd be fun if we can get Klintock to the next London meet. Come on, you up for it? :thumb: I'll buy yer a drink! If you beleive in London... I suppose it's like a country in a way. Like "Essex"... why DO we enforce silly boundries to things? :p
    Why should they leave? i don't want Sharia law, but the fundamental point of British democracy is people should be able to believe what they want and lobby for the laws to be changed.

Perhaps its Trevor Phillips who doesn't support the culture of this country and he should fuck off.
    NQA wrote:
    Why should they leave? i don't want Sharia law, but the fundamental point of British democracy is people should be able to believe what they want and lobby for the laws to be changed.
    But democracy doesn't need to be entirely fluid. I mean, in grade schools we're always told that one of the unique things about democracy is that it can be used to destroy itself. However, we can help to prevent this by creating base rules that cannot be changed (i.e. freedom of speech, freedom of religion, equality before the law etc). When people want to create laws that might afflict these core principles, you can point to the constitution and casually say to them "so yeah.... fuck that".
    Perhaps its Trevor Phillips who doesn't support the culture of this country
    doesn't sound like it to me. Sounds to me like he is taking a stand, good for him.
    Yeah. This place benefits from Klintock alot. Top lad. It'd be fun if we can get Klintock to the next London meet. Come on, you up for it? :thumb:

Aye, go on then. :)

As you might expect, I am a little......different but that will just mean we have more fun. ;)
    I'll buy yer a drink! If you beleive in London... I suppose it's like a country in a way.

Oh I use it. Just for me it's optional. :lol:
    klintock wrote:
    Aye, go on then. :)

As you might expect, I am a little......different but that will just mean we have more fun. ;)

Ace! I can't wait to meet you! Plonk yer name on the list in the thread... :thumb: Tops!
    klintock wrote:
    Oh I use it. Just for me it's optional. :lol:
    :lol:!!
    Lets give our full support to Trevor Phillips a guy who finally saw the light! He's right, even if he is a rather belated convert to the realisation that we need to defend our secular westernised society.

Remember the old addage, "when in Rome ....." , it should be the same for people coming to our country, they should by & large accept our culture and way of life, if not stay away. Try going to Saudi Arabia and wearing a crucifix in public, or suggesting that a church be built, walking down the street swigging from a bottle of beer, or allowing your girl-friend to wear Western fashion and drive round in a car - the Religious Police would pounce before you could blink!
    rickramone wrote:
    Lets give our full support to Trevor Phillips a guy who finally saw the light! He's right, even if he is a rather belated convert to the realisation that we need to defend our secular westernised society.

Remember the old addage, "when in Rome ....." , it should be the same for people coming to our country, they should by & large accept our culture and way of life, if not stay away. Try going to Saudi Arabia and wearing a crucifix in public, or suggesting that a church be built, walking down the street swigging from a bottle of beer, or allowing your girl-friend to wear Western fashion and drive round in a car - the Religious Police would pounce before you could blink!
    proper!
    Aye, but women in Saudi get a free Chaufer! I mean, LUXURY!
    If he doesn't like people exercising their right to freedom of speech... Then why doesn't he leave?
    If he doesn't like people exercising their right to freedom of speech... Then why doesn't he leave?
    he didn't say they don't have the right so say what they believe, only that if they truly believe it that the UK isn't the place for them. The same can be equated to Nazis, or anyone else who can't get on board with the idea of civil liberties.
    he didn't say they don't have the right so say what they believe, only that if they truly believe it that the UK isn't the place for them. The same can be equated to Nazis, or anyone else who can't get on board with the idea of civil liberties.

We're going to be a very unpopulated country then.
    NQA wrote:
    We're going to be a very unpopulated country then.
    In case you hadn't noticed... neither of our countries are. Course that has more to do with other matters.

Hell, I couldn’t be happier if the U.S. were hated by a large section of the world, long as it was for reasons like why Denmark is hated.
    i know what you mean...your rite.
    In case you hadn't noticed... neither of our countries are. Course that has more to do with other matters.

Hell, I couldn’t be happier if the U.S. were hated by a large section of the world, long as it was for reasons like why Denmark is hated.

For publishing racist cartoons? :D

The point stands that people within the UK have a perfect right to demand Sharia law. If they've been born and brought here (as many have) they have as much a right to argue about how we make our laws and what they are as I have (or Trevor Philips).

Countries are also evolving organisms. I'm sure several hundred years ago most brits would have favoured slavery. We've moved on from that. But in several hundred years in the future we may believe Sharia law is the way to go and people should have the perfect right to say so - without the head of the CRE telling them to go somewhere else.
    The point stands that people within the UK have a perfect right to demand Sharia law.

The point is that they never will have the right to impose it upon me or anyone else. Ever.

Fictional boundaries don't allow you to impose your ideals upon me or anyone else.

As long as you let me do what the hell I want without harming anyone, you can go do what the fuck you want, without harming anyone.
    klintock wrote:
    As long as you let me do what the hell I want without harming anyone, you can go do what the fuck you want, without harming anyone.

Yup. You are free to demand all you want, dont mean you'll get it.
    NQA wrote:
    For publishing racist cartoons? :D
    yup pretty much. ;) Protecting the freedom of the press is another one.
    The point stands that people within the UK have a perfect right to demand Sharia law. If they've been born and brought here (as many have) they have as much a right to argue about how we make our laws and what they are as I have (or Trevor Philips).
    No body is arguing that they don't have the right to it. After all, freedom of speech is one of those core principles I keep spouting off about. They have the right to petition for Sharia law. The point that he is trying to make is that it isn't going to happen because it goes against the social-political values of the UK, and that if they want it so bad it'd be best for them to move somewhere where it's already in place.
    Britain is a democratic country, not somewhere that's ruled by the dreadful Sharia law. Anyone who wants that can clear off. If 4 out of 10 Muslims in Britain hate our laws that much, go and live somewhere else. I see nothing wrong whatsoever with what Trevor Phillips said. Indeed, much of what he says now makes sense.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Britain is a democratic country, not somewhere that's ruled by the dreadful Sharia law. Anyone who wants that can clear off. If 4 out of 10 Muslims in Britain hate our laws that much, go and live somewhere else. I see nothing wrong whatsoever with what Trevor Phillips said. Indeed, much of what he says now makes sense.

Oi. You don't agree with the current government or some of the laws they are passing. Gerrout! Traitor!

Can we throw out Catholics too? They are allied to the Pope before the Monarch. Traitors!
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Oi. You don't agree with the current government or some of the laws they are passing. Gerrout! Traitor!
    Can we throw out Catholics too? They are allied to the Pope before the Monarch. Traitors!
    I don't know how what Mr Phillips said can be interpreted as "if you don't like any of our laws, leave".
    NQA wrote:
    .. if you don't like it leave' says Trevor Phillips
    Anybody who lives here has to accept that's the way we do it. If you want to have laws decided in another way, you have to live somewhere else," he said.
    I am I the only one who thinks the man's a joke. He's either deciding everyone is institutionally racist or that as he doesn't like their views they should fuck off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4752804.stm
    Yeah, he seems to be saying, if you don't like how the laws are decided in this country, you should leave, not the laws themselves. Presumably, he feels that institutional racism contravenes those laws. No inconsistency, therefore.

He's going to be speaking in Gloucester, incidentally, at the Gloucester Racial Equality Council's AGM on June 8th.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I don't know how what Mr Phillips said can be interpreted as "if you don't like any of our laws, leave".

what did he say then?

or is it specific laws that warrants being thrown out of or leaving the UK?

and who decides this? the oh so mighty trustworthy government?

you cant have double standards in the law and how it is treated, otherwise it leads to huge abuse
    Uncle Joe wrote:
    Yeah, he seems to be saying, if you don't like how the laws are decided in this country, you should leave, not the laws themselves.

So that's anyone who supports PR, wants to get rid of the Queen and wants a democratically elected House of Lords on the next boat out...

Whilst personally I think getting rid of PR supporters is a good thing (especially if the boat's leaky) a fundamental point of a democracy is not only being able to express your opinion on the laws being made, but how they're made.
    NQA wrote:
    Whilst personally I think getting rid of PR supporters is a good thing (especially if the boat's leaky)
    Is that because the introduction of PR would effectively mean the demise of the Conservative Party? ;)
    Aladdin wrote:
    Is that because the introduction of PR would effectively mean the demise of the Conservative Party? ;)

Slightly off topic - but I'm not convinced that PR is a more democratic or accountable system than ftp

It would mean that the Lib dems are in Govt forvever with a choice between Foreign Secretary under the Tories and Chancellor under Labour.