Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Aladdin in total agreement with George W. Bush shocker!

Bush threatens veto in ports row

US President George W Bush says he will veto any law blocking a deal giving an Arab company control of six US ports.
The threat came as Bill Frist, leader of the Republican Party in the Senate, said he would move a blocking law if the government did not delay the deal.

The deal would put six of the largest ports in the hands of Dubai Ports World of the United Arab Emirates.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4737940.stm

So basically six US ports have been sold to a foreign company. Not much to write about there- not the first time foreigners invest in key US industry or services. But if the foreign company is Arab, then all hell breaks lose and the deal must be stopped.

Now the most amazing part of this story is that contrary to what most people would have guessed, Dubya and his neocon government are defending the deal, and an umbrella of Senators including both Republicans and Democrats are trying to block it, coz you can't just sell such assets to dirty Arabs can you?

Well, credit where it's due. Even though he's probably doing for the wrong reasons (I can think of one involving many green rectangular pieces of paper) I hereby salute and support Dubya in his pledge to veto any attempt to have this sale blocked. And shame to the Democrat spokesman I saw on TV the other day speaking of the United Arab Emirates being an aider of terrorists and the danger they would pose to the US if they were allowed to own the six ports.

You may save this post now ;):D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Need a new avatar then?
  • Options
    Oh I don't know, he's going to have to do more than this to redeem himself :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Omfg how rare!

I don't see why... well I do... but... if they'll let other people buy stuff off 'em, this will just play into Extremist hands. "Look, other people can buy US property but not the Arabs, look how they hate us so! We should kill them all!"

Another cock up, really. I can see how not letting people buy it benefits America. But its double standards again from the king of double standards himself.
  • Options
    obviously something to do with the bin laden familky and possibly the next set of evil deeds the government wish to inflict on its public ...and then blame the arabs.
  • Options
    UAE are one of the most moderate of Arab States, there not exactly in the Saudi league when it comes to things.

Funnily enough they've just given the go ahead for Arsenal to advertise Israeli beaches even though there the main sponsor (so now not only do people have to watch some of the greatest cheaters and football mercenaries this side of Chelsea, but we risk being blown up by extremists from both sides :D )

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4753546.stm
  • Options
    PS just looked out the window and I saw a pig fly by :thumb:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Aye. And retract those Chelsea comments, slag! :p
  • Options
    By the way I understand it the day to day running of the ports will stay almost exactly the same anyway, its just P&O who are being bought by this Arab company.

With Teamster workers covering most of the docks I cant see why a few Arabs would make them any less secure.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I'm sure someone, somewhere, must be eating a hat right now. ;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm sure someone, somewhere, must be eating a hat right now. ;)
    NOT MR.HAT!
    :p
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Aye. And retract those Chelsea comments, slag! :p

OK I apologise....

... to Arsenal [I would do a sticking out tongue thing here but my PC isn't letting me]
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    OK I apologise....

... to Arsenal [I would do a sticking out tongue thing here but my PC isn't letting me]
    Oi! Thats it *Gets broken bottle* [Why the hell not? That is quite odd.]
  • Options
    Funily enough, I don't agree with the Bushbaby, but rather I understand the security implications of having a foreign company owning ports which may be needed in the event of a major war...
  • Options
    So this law is stopping a British company selling the ports? How dare they interfere with Capitalism! Death, death to them!!!
  • Options
    Funily enough, I don't agree with the Bushbaby, but rather I understand the security implications of having a foreign company owning ports which may be needed in the event of a major war...

In the event of a major war its unlikely that the US Government is going to stand by and let itself lose because the owners support the other side or want to remain neutral. What would the owners do? Padlock the gate?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    In the event of a major war its unlikely that the US Government is going to stand by and let itself lose because the owners support the other side or want to remain neutral. What would the owners do? Padlock the gate?

Obviously they would decide to massacre Americans becausetehy are dirty A-rabs!

Nah, let's face it - they'd probably help the US - it would be in their interests, as if they didn't - the port would be forcefully taken, as you say. It's all paranoia and shit stirring, really.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Obviously they would decide to massacre Americans becausetehy are dirty A-rabs!

Nah, let's face it - they'd probably help the US - it would be in their interests, as if they didn't - the port would be forcefully taken, as you say. It's all paranoia and shit stirring, really.
    it's to show good faith to the arabs in that little corner of iran who are going to share in the oil wealth ...soon.
    the gifts have started exchanging hands.
  • Options

But thats all they will be doing, owning them, P&O will still run them as they do now. All thats changing is the name on the title deeds.