Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

BBC on verge of bankrupting commercial radio

Story.

And still people will continue to defend the disgraceful business practices of the BBC, which make Tesco look like a paragon of virtue and ethical business.

The sooner the BBC is shut down, carved up and sold off the better. The BBC needs to be nothing more than two TV channels, and the local radio stations. The BBC has no place competing with commercial business, and using extortion to put them all out of business.

An absolute disgrace.

Cue the argument "but Life on Mars is good!!!"...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree fully with you. Whilst I think commercial radio stations could be better, (many play very bland, similar music in my opinion) the BBC is abusing its position here. And besides which, Radio 1 is undoubtedly crap.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Story.

And still people will continue to defend the disgraceful business practices of the BBC, which make Tesco look like a paragon of virtue and ethical business.

The sooner the BBC is shut down, carved up and sold off the better. The BBC needs to be nothing more than two TV channels, and the local radio stations. The BBC has no place competing with commercial business, and using extortion to put them all out of business.

An absolute disgrace.

:lol: i'm sorry kermy but you have turned into victor meldrew at such an early age. :D
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    And besides which, Radio 1 is undoubtedly crap.

Aye. Radio 4, however, is as close to perfection as radio gets.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I haven't even watched Life on Mars. I thought it was The Sweeny, it wasn't, I didn't bother.

But hey, Top Gear is good, as is World Service! :p
    depriving future talent of a training ground which has nurtured many of today's broadcasting stars, including the likes of Chris Moyles,
    Less people like him about, better! ;p
    I do party agree though - The BBC should not be terminated, but neither should the license fee be increased to pay for it to take over the damn market. I say keep the BBC, but there is no reason it should become dominant - I disagree with the mass amount of station - should have just kept the original ones.
  • Options
    If the BBC radio programmes were rubbish then nobody would listen to them.

If more people choose to listen to BBC channels than to others, then the rest should improve. Nobody is forcing the punters to listen to BBC programmes.

That's life for you.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

If more people choose to listen to BBC channels than to others, then the rest should improve. Nobody is forcing the punters to listen to BBC programmes.

That's life for you.
    i'd bet every bbc channel is lisrewned to in this forum.
    more regularly than commercialk.
    i'm loosing my mind ...
  • Options
    the commercial stations dont train up people, my girlfriend wants to go into sound engineering, her best bets are with bbc because they do such a good training programme, and many people leave bbc after trainign nd work commerically
  • Options
    But one of the bonuses of the BBC is that they don't have to fund themselves by adverts and I'm sure I'm not alone in finding it irritating when you have to listen for five minutes of adverts for every five of music. Personally I'd close BBC local radio and use the money for something else (and get rid of digital channels apart from News 24 as well and scrap Radio 3 and 5, radio 4 gets a choice to have long wave or FM, but not both and massively reduce the amount of stuff BBC has on the web - oh and for good measure line most of the Radio 1 DJs up against a wall and shoot them)
  • Options
    well the only commercial stations I have ever listened to are kerrang (only once or twice) and classic fm(way better than radio 3) but yeah the bbc radio is just really good, and since we are paying for it why shouldnt it be?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

That's life for you.

But when the BBC has a far bigger budget, because it will imprison people who don't pay it huge swathes of cash, it's hard for independent and commercial operators to compete.

That's the problem. The BBC has a bottomless pit of cash, so it can put on mega events and pay fat cunts like Moyles seven figure salaries. NO commercial operator can compete, because the BBC has no budgetary constraints because it can extort more millions out of people if it runs out of cash.

A publicly-funded organisation should not be acting as a commercial operator. That's the long and the short of it. It is a disgusting waste of public money, and even beyond that, it is not fair.

The fact that for many years the BBC has had the final say on who gets national FM licences has nothing to do with anything of course. It has nothing to do with how Century, Virgin and Galaxy have all been torpedoed, oh no.
  • Options
    talia wrote:
    but yeah the bbc radio is just really good, and since we are paying for it why shouldnt it be?
    i hardly ever have to suffer listening to commy radio.
    usualy on journeys with people in a vehicle i will be forced to now and again.
    but ...how can anyone want to listen to adverts and jingles over and bloody over?
    it has to be the road to insanity.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    But one of the bonuses of the BBC is that they don't have to fund themselves by adverts and I'm sure I'm not alone in finding it irritating when you have to listen for five minutes of adverts for every five of music.

I find it annoying, that's why I don't listen to BBC Radio One. Every second thing is an advert telling me to watch some shitey programme with Graham fucking Norton, complete with his multi-million pay packet.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I find it annoying, that's why I don't listen to BBC Radio One. Every second thing is an advert telling me to watch some shitey programme with Graham fucking Norton, complete with his multi-million pay packet.
    The BBC still haven't explained why they hired him. He was doing alright at Channel 4, so why did they ask him to come to the BBC? It's clear he went there for money, but why does the BBC go around poaching other channel's presenters? Or Davina McCall's new show - which I haven't seen yet, admittedly, but poached from Channel 4 again. Is there no talent already at the BBC? And isn't it possible to get them without paying seven-figure sums?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But when the BBC has a far bigger budget, because it will imprison people who don't pay it huge swathes of cash, it's hard for independent and commercial operators to compete.
    The TV stations have no problem, do they? There are upwards of a hundred in this country alone.
    That's the problem. The BBC has a bottomless pit of cash, so it can put on mega events and pay fat cunts like Moyles seven figure salaries. NO commercial operator can compete, because the BBC has no budgetary constraints because it can extort more millions out of people if it runs out of cash.
    A DJ is a DJ. The records stations play are identical. If anything radio stations have it far easier than TV stations. If people are switching off, then they're doing something wrong. Welcome to capitalism and consumer choice.

Incidentally BBC channels have budgets that must be adhered to, just like the other stations. The BBC does not, by any stretch of the imagination, have limitless amounts of money.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Welcome to capitalism and consumer choice.

And proof that the people prefer state run stuff- Because it's better! :p

And am I the ONLY person here who listens to World Service? You fuckers should, its really rather good!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    And proof that the people prefer state run stuff- Because it's better! :p
    The state runs things better? You must be joking. Tax credits cock-ups, the CSA, National Rail... the blunders go on. That said, private companies often fare no better.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The state runs things better? You must be joking. Tax credits cock-ups, the CSA, National Rail... the blunders go on. That said, private companies often fare no better.

Quite. At least when a State Train crashed... it was just "Bloody State". Not passing the buck for ages as no-one wanted the blame. Private companies - just as corrupt as the state, but even less accountable.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    So the BBC is providing a better service than commercial operators. This is good for the consumer, right? Catering for niches not currently provided for is where the private sector excels over the public - or have I got my capatilist theory muddled.

It is a disgusting waste of public money, and even beyond that, it is not fair.
    but it is giving people what they want. Seems very fair to me. On the other hand, "business, compete, fair" are an unusal set of words.

The usual complaint is the BBC spends money on stuff that nobody wants. I'm glad you disagree
  • Options
    I wouldn't be hugely upset if they cut Radio 1 and 1xtra but Radio 4 is a cultural highlight of this country.
  • Options
    I think people are under the impression that commercial radio isn't state run. They obey the law, the do what they are told to by the state. Their frequency is doled out by the stete, they have state imposed limits on their adverts etc, again by the state.

Commerical radio is state run, just the profit goes somewhere else and it's not paid for by theftation.

At the end of the day if you support the BBC, you support the kidnap of your neighbours and the extortion of tens of millions of people to pay for your entertainment. Eastenders has never been that good imho, even the bit's with Den.
  • Options
    Very rare I listen to the radio these days. If I do, then it'll most likely be Radio 2 - Radio 1 has been shite for years. When I was a field engineer, I used to flick between Radio 2 and Century FM.

I listen to CD's, or the music on my PC when I'm at home now. It's mega hassle to go and turn the tuner on, and manually adjust the knob to switch stations! My amplifier is always on, so it stays nice and warm - and my PC is on 24/7 as well, so it's a matter of convenience.

Little chance of the radio on my bike. Sometimes listen to music on my SmartPhone but for the most part, I don't bother. Radio plays a limited role in my life.

As for TV, I don't really watch much. I like motoring programmes, the news, Neighbours and Eastenders. Oh, and The Dead Zone, but I can very much take it or leave it. I lived without a TV for 2 years, and rarely missed it - I find much of it drivel.

I'm a bit partial to 'Deal or no deal' though! Often watch it with my granny :).
  • Options
    The BBC certainly does not have a limitless budget, indeed it spends a lot of time trying to save you, the licence fee payer, money, in ways you don't even know about.

As a wild example, did you know that one out of every four Top of the Pops is pre-recorded? At the end of the three live shows they record extra songs and a scripted selection of infills - then they put together a fourth show which looks live without using the budget to erect the set, book stars, arrange guests, organise hospitality etc...

When my father was interviewed for a Radio 4 programme on the development of Education there were just two people working on the recording - the producer and the presenter, who also handled the sound equipment. There could've been a whole team of people but the BBC realised they only needed two.

And this is just a small example, there are things like this going on all through the BBC - so don't tell me the BBC has a limitless budget and wastes money.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    But one of the bonuses of the BBC is that they don't have to fund themselves by adverts and I'm sure I'm not alone in finding it irritating when you have to listen for five minutes of adverts for every five of music. Personally I'd close BBC local radio and use the money for something else (and get rid of digital channels apart from News 24 as well and scrap Radio 3 and 5, radio 4 gets a choice to have long wave or FM, but not both and massively reduce the amount of stuff BBC has on the web - oh and for good measure line most of the Radio 1 DJs up against a wall and shoot them)
    As long as we get to keep the UK Theme, the rest is negotiable...
  • Options
    Uncle Joe wrote:
    As long as we get to keep the UK Theme, the rest is negotiable...

Not for much longer, who the hell is up that early anyway?

What's wierder is the tune they play at 12.45am before the shipping forcast.
  • Options
    'Sailing By' used to drive me up the wall, but I'm inured to it now. They played a more complicated arrangement of it on Desert Island Discs that sounded quite good (or was that The Archer's 'Barwick Green'?)

Before I get back on topic, tonight sees (or hears) the first installment of 'Small Gods', a serialisation of the Terry Pratchett novel about Discworld deities... 11-11:30.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Story.

An absolute disgrace.

Well, it is good...

I don't listen to commercial radio, but I wonder what impact this will have on community radio, if any?
  • Options
    Indeed, I will be listening to that.

Have you ever got tickets and gone to the shows? They're free.
  • Options
    The quality of the BBC is irrelevant IMHO. I quite enjoy Wogan, to be honest, and Life on Mars was very good.

The point is that the BBC does have a bottomless pit of cash. If it runs out of money, they just whack up the licence fee. The BBC can create 42,000 new cable TV stations- none of which are watched- simply because it has a guaranteed income every year which is not dependent on results.

The BBC can send four times as many people to the World Cup as ITV, simply because it has the right to take £130 a year out of my pocket regardless of results.

When the BBC becomes accountable then I may have more time for it. When BBC bosses are made bankrupt when programmes fail I will have more time for it. But as long as the BBC uses a bottomless pit of public money to drive private enterprise into the ground the BBC will continue to be an anachronistic shame on this country.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The BBC can send four times as many people to the World Cup as ITV, simply because it has the right to take £130 a year out of my pocket regardless of results.
    You choose to have a TV and hence pay the license fee, nobody makes you.
  • Options
    i hardly ever have to suffer listening to commy radio.
    usualy on journeys with people in a vehicle i will be forced to now and again.
    but ...how can anyone want to listen to adverts and jingles over and bloody over?
    it has to be the road to insanity.

:yes: