Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Deferred attendance at uni - now owe a lot of money..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Sorry this is quite long, but I'm getting rather worried about all the money I have found out I suudenly owe after being at uni until Christmas.

I started uni in Sept (05) Over Christmas I tried to swap my course. After contacting the new course leader he told me that I would be accepted but just needed to see him at the start of the year. In January I did this, but he then said that I wouldn't be able to start this year but said I could defer my attendance (so I was still a member of the uni and was accepted on the course, but wasn't starting until the new academic year - this avoiding havign to go through UCAS again and the whole joining thing). Anyway, this meant that I had to move out pretty swiftly and sort my life out for the rest of the year (as before this I thought I would be simply carrying on and returning to a new course).

Anyway, when I left my halls in January, I couldn't give any notice, because over Christmas I thought I would be simply changing course, but then was told that actually I wouldnt be able to stay. I moved out before the due date of the next installment of money. When I handed in the key and all that they said that I would probably lose my deposit unless somebody else moved in (which I didn't mind). Anyway, months later, I've just recieved a letter confirming my course transfer and deferred attendance and saying that they look forward to recieving my spring term rent of £1199.10. I didn't realise that I would have to pay for the room for the rest of the year?! I don't understand how they feel i can hand over that sort of cash?!

Is there anything I can argue in my favour to get around this, any laws or anything or am I going to have to find a good few grand to hand over to them?? Have they got the rights? If I do have to do this, then on top of repaying my loan that I used up till xmas, and this theres no way that I will be able to afford doing this all again in september

Also, as I am still technically a member of the uni and a student I thought that I wouldn't have to repay my loan that I used before I left, until I finish completely in a few years with the rest of my loan. So am I going to have to repay the loan whilst im at uni when I return again? I'll be getting in more debt to pay off my current debt before I've even started uni. Argh, why didn't I just do a paid apprenticeship at college when I was 16!?!?

Sorr ytheres so mnuch writing, ANY advice or help would be very, very much appreciated.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fink wrote:
    When I handed in the key and all that they said that I would probably lose my deposit unless somebody else moved in (which I didn't mind). Anyway, months later, I've just recieved a letter confirming my course transfer and deferred attendance and saying that they look forward to recieving my spring term rent of £1199.10. I didn't realise that I would have to pay for the room for the rest of the year?! I don't understand how they feel i can hand over that sort of cash?!

I'm a student also by the way,.. so don't take anything i say as official..

Check in your contract that you signed when you agreed to move in to your accomodation. We got it summarised in a residents handbook... in this there should be some advice on where you stand legally about how much notice you have to give and whether you are accountable for paying the rest of the rent, even if you're not living there. Also check at the University as we have someone that is in charge of all accomodation issues, so you could always ask them for advice.

Also advertise for someone to take on your contract for your room at the University - someone may want your room, and then thats your problem solved.

Probably not what you want to hear - but i can see where the Uni are coming from. When we signed our contract here we took on the room for the year, unless we would get someone to fill it. The University would most likely not be able to fill the room now, as it is at an awkward time of the academic year, and you (probably) agreed in the contract that you would pay for it. And if they can get money out of you for it, they're not going to be very helpful!

Sorry i cant be of more help
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes you'll be expected to pay your rent, why wouldn't you? otherwise the room would be empty and they'd lose money. couldn't you find someone else to take your room and therefore rent off your hands?

what about your tuition fees? i was thinking about leaving uni at one point but was told they'd chase me up for my fees for the rest of that academic year. i ended up staying. :p
  • KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    It's easy to understand the uni's position regarding the payment of your rent for the rest of the year.

Even so, you don't need to feel completely strapped for cash. It might be worthwhile speaking to the student finance dept at your uni (it might have a different name - ask at the student union where to go for advice). They should be able to offer some good advice as well as tell you if you can make a saving if another person can suddenly take up your room. If you're really stuck for cash, there may even be a student hardship fund you could benefit from.

Your situation is annoying in the first instance because you were let down by a member of the uni staff. Could you try telling this to the course leader or your personal tutor to back your case up and possibly be allowed on the course after all (although it's probably quite late to catch up on the work at this point)?

You won't have to start paying off your student loan yet - just tell the Student Loans Company your plans and they'll advise you on what happens next. They may be able to stop your loan installments until September - that way at least you won't have a full extra year of loans to pay back once you've finished uni altogether. There's info about managing your finances if you're deferring here. You might also want to check out the article about extra student funding options

Connexions Direct might be of help - they offer expert advice on a range of topics to young people, including student finance. Good luck!