Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

on the topic of overfishing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
it appears good old new zealand has banned all trawl fishing on a 1/3 of their waters

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4735474.stm

if only the EU would do the same

by the way trawl fishing is draggings nets along the sea floor picking up everything including cold water coral and fish you dont even want, and its completly dispicable

oh and a picture for you for whats being banned
_40874234_bottom_trawling_border416.gif

Comments

• Options
    Excellent news :thumb:

And it would be sure nice if EU would follow and everyone else too.
  • Options
    appears the UN wants a moratorium on it, since it accounts for a tiny amount of actual wanted fish caught, whilst causing most of the seabeds destruction
  • Options
    Very good news!

Hopefully others will follow their example, but I won't hold my breath.
  • Options
    That's really good. I really hope the EU follows suit, I really do.
  • Options
    I too hope the EU follows suit.

But if it does you can be assured that cries of "bloody EU telling us what we can or cannot do and destroying or livelihoods" will be heard aplenty from the usual suspects... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Why the fuck would anyone complain about the EU doing that?
    Britain doesnt have a fishing fleet left ot be affected very much. It is mostly high water fishing. The fish we get in this country is mostly fished by the Spanish Fishing fleet as they now have been granted domination over what was British fishing waters. But that is all old news.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Britain doesnt have a fishing fleet left ot be affected very much. It is mostly high water fishing. The fish we get in this country is mostly fished by the Spanish Fishing fleet as they now have been granted domination over what was British fishing waters. But that is all old news.

we do trawler fishing also, there is virtually no cold water coral left in the north sea these days

and an EU wide ban would improve matters greatly

and high water fishing is mainly responsible for the near extinction of cod etc in the north sea as it stands, trawler fishing is mainly resposnsible for sheer seabed destruction

we should really ban all commercial fishing in some parts of the north sea and atlantic, to allow fish to recover, and it only worked out to 10% of EU water needing a complete ban on fishing, yet for some stupid reason we and the spanish blocked it for economic reasons, when there will be no fish left if we carry no as we are
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Because that is exaclty what they have been doing for the last decade or so when the EU said ''either you reduce your quotas of cod, or there won't be any cod left to catch soon''.

And incredibly, you still got people up and down the country (as well as the unspeakable Tories) crying to the heavens about ''interfering EU'' and ''the jobs and livelihoods of fishermen up and down the land threatened by Evil Europe.''

Of course the contrary is true. If it weren't for the EU there would be no cod left to fish very soon, and no livelihood for fishermen present or future.
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity, as i am curious of this, as no one ever says what will happen, i was wondering...What happens to all the fisherman who lose there jobs? No schemes or plans by the EU for them spring to mind, so if there are any, can you put a link on them so i can check it please, thank you.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, as i am curious of this, as no one ever says what will happen, i was wondering...What happens to all the fisherman who lose there jobs? No schemes or plans by the EU for them spring to mind, so if there are any, can you put a link on them so i can check it please, thank you.

erm they'll be out of work if they keep fishing as much as they are at the moment :banghead:

they've been told year after year they need to stop fishing as much, and instead of getting more per fish they catch they just catch more fish and lower the price

and there's such a thing as training, and sadly i think the whole ocean food chain being able to suppost life for as long as possible is more important than a 'few' fishing towns having jobs for a few years then going out of business when theres no fish left in the north sea
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Because that is exaclty what they have been doing for the last decade or so when the EU said ''either you reduce your quotas of cod, or there won't be any cod left to catch soon''.

And incredibly, you still got people up and down the country (as well as the unspeakable Tories) crying to the heavens about ''interfering EU'' and ''the jobs and livelihoods of fishermen up and down the land threatened by Evil Europe.''

Of course the contrary is true. If it weren't for the EU there would be no cod left to fish very soon, and no livelihood for fishermen present or future.

the current EU quotas are still to many fish, as there is barely enough cod to replenish the stocks by natural means as it is, what's needed is a ban on fishing in a tenth to a third of EU waters, so the fish actually get a chance to reproduce
  • Options
    (If I remember rightly from my environmental science A level) that most of the fishing that takes place in our (British) waters is by land locked countries in the EU that have been granted the same rights to fish there because they are in the EU with us, and we have to share our commodities.

One of the biggest problems with fishing (and specifically trawler nets) is the bycatch, which is comprised of fish that we cannot sell, is not needed and is then chucked back into the water, dead.

There was an attempt to provide and alternative to cod in the USA, it is practically the same but had a funny name, and people there won't buy it.

No links I'm afraid to back this up, it's just what I remember from my course.
  • Options
    (If I remember rightly from my environmental science A level) that most of the fishing that takes place in our (British) waters is by land locked countries in the EU that have been granted the same rights to fish there because they are in the EU with us, and we have to share our commodities.

One of the biggest problems with fishing (and specifically trawler nets) is the bycatch, which is comprised of fish that we cannot sell, is not needed and is then chucked back into the water, dead.

There was an attempt to provide and alternative to cod in the USA, it is practically the same but had a funny name, and people there won't buy it.

No links I'm afraid to back this up, it's just what I remember from my course.

yeh i know, but our fishing methods as a whole are killing the oceans as a whole

the EU quotas as a whole need to be cut
  • Options
    erm they'll be out of work if they keep fishing as much as they are at the moment :banghead:

they've been told year after year they need to stop fishing as much, and instead of getting more per fish they catch they just catch more fish and lower the price

and there's such a thing as training, and sadly i think the whole ocean food chain being able to suppost life for as long as possible is more important than a 'few' fishing towns having jobs for a few years then going out of business when theres no fish left in the north sea

So...if your saying what it sounds like, there is nothing for the thousands of fishermen, fish processors, fish monitors or fish traders to hope for except to be unemployed? Better unemployed now then unemployed later i suppose is the consolation here!

Ok, so fishing stops, but if you think it is only "a few" fishing towns, then you clearly do not know very much about the entire fishing industry as a whole, such as how many people are involved in the industry, what various jobs are involved and so forth. Really, some sort of compensation should be available as well as retraining of these people for other jobs where needed really.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    So...if your saying what it sounds like, there is nothing for the thousands of fishermen, fish processors, fish monitors or fish traders to hope for except to be unemployed? Better unemployed now then unemployed later i suppose is the consolation here!

Ok, so fishing stops, but if you think it is only "a few" fishing towns, then you clearly do not know very much about the entire fishing industry as a whole, such as how many people are involved in the industry, what various jobs are involved and so forth. Really, some sort of compensation should be available as well as retraining of these people for other jobs where needed really.

you really underestimate the problem here

this is a case of mass ocean extinction :banghead:

and anyway less fish being caught doesnt mean the end of business anyway, it just puts the price of fish up to what it really should be, and not the price it is at the moment which is the result of VERY heavy overfishing
  • Options
    yeh i know, but our fishing methods as a whole are killing the oceans as a whole

the EU quotas as a whole need to be cut

I know, I was making another point, not trying to contradict yours :p
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I think the EU should follow suit now as well. ;/
  • Options
    you really underestimate the problem here

this is a case of mass ocean extinction :banghead:

and anyway less fish being caught doesnt mean the end of business anyway, it just puts the price of fish up to what it really should be, and not the price it is at the moment which is the result of VERY heavy overfishing
    I am going to explain this slowly for you!

Fish prices are already higher then ever on the trading side of the industry. These prices are resulting in the smallest profits EVER made by a fish trader. I know this because my family are 4th generation fish traders and have neve rmade such little money in all that time. Neither has any other fish trader. Supermarkets are the only people selling cheap fish! You see they buy in bulk numbers and throw away 80% of fish regardless of its condition, thus driving up fishing numbers and allowing them to lower prices.

The only reason fish is cheap is because the privces are based on cross-sections dominated by supermarkets responsible for increased fishing in the oceans.

If you would stop banging your head on the wall and actually pay attention to what i am saying, you would understand that the industry is about to die off and the only thng keeping the thousands of people in work is the system. Which is why i am saying there needs to be some subsidies for the fish industry employees who will have to lose their jobs, and some sort of re-training scheme.

I understand your point on ocean extinction, but unless the supermarket fish demands are not curbed along with the regular hardworking everyday fisherman, then the oceans will be dead anyway. If you do not believe me, do some research into the Supermarket fish trade and see for yourself the numbers involved.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I am going to explain this slowly for you!

Fish prices are already higher then ever on the trading side of the industry. These prices are resulting in the smallest profits EVER made by a fish trader. I know this because my family are 4th generation fish traders and have neve rmade such little money in all that time. Neither has any other fish trader. Supermarkets are the only people selling cheap fish! You see they buy in bulk numbers and throw away 80% of fish regardless of its condition, thus driving up fishing numbers and allowing them to lower prices.

The only reason fish is cheap is because the privces are based on cross-sections dominated by supermarkets responsible for increased fishing in the oceans.

If you would stop banging your head on the wall and actually pay attention to what i am saying, you would understand that the industry is about to die off and the only thng keeping the thousands of people in work is the system. Which is why i am saying there needs to be some subsidies for the fish industry employees who will have to lose their jobs, and some sort of re-training scheme.

I understand your point on ocean extinction, but unless the supermarket fish demands are not curbed along with the regular hardworking everyday fisherman, then the oceans will be dead anyway. If you do not believe me, do some research into the Supermarket fish trade and see for yourself the numbers involved.

i agree in training people

and i also think supermarkets are one of the main causes of the reduction in food quality in the past few years mainly due to their constant lowering of profit margins by squeezing suppliers more than suppliers than can actually afford

but in trms of fishing for the sake of fishing, it needs to be cut no matter what or there will be no fish left, which isnt just bad for fisheries etc but for the whole marine ecosystem
  • Options
    Finally we have consensus. I agree with what you just said completely!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:

were you this concerned about the miners?
  • Options
    My family do not rely solely on the mining industry to live, and as i am only 21 i was a bit young back then to know anything about what was happening with the Miners.

Roll, do you come from a mining community? If so, i am sure you will be concerned by that more then the Fishing Industry, which is the opposite for me.

Also, interesting fact about the miners, everyone blames the Conservative Government for shutting it down. But the Labour Government of Wilson shut down over 100 pits and Blair's New Labour government shut down the largest pit n the country. The Conservatives are given sole blame purely because of the fight with the Union, rather then actual action. Blame should be given out as it is deserved.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    My family do not rely solely on the mining industry to live, and as i am only 21 i was a bit young back then to know anything about what was happening with the Miners.

Roll, do you come from a mining community? If so, i am sure you will be concerned by that more then the Fishing Industry, which is the opposite for me.

Also, interesting fact about the miners, everyone blames the Conservative Government for shutting it down. But the Labour Government of Wilson shut down over 100 pits and Blair's New Labour government shut down the largest pit n the country. The Conservatives are given sole blame purely because of the fight with the Union, rather then actual action. Blame should be given out as it is deserved.
    no mate i don't come from a mimining community and aint looking to blame.
    i was pointing out ...industries die ...no one gets training ...they are left to fend for themselves.
    the fishing industry should be halved as hard as it might be short term.
    without a living ocean ...we can't have a living earth ...simple as.
  • Options
    If the Government stepped in to Prevent Supermarket Monopoly of sales things would improve in the Ocean because there wouldnt be so much fished. You know they throw away most of the fish they catch to sell, regardless of its condition. People who used to work with my family went to work in supermarkets, coz they were only jobs they could get in the business and saw them using the standard "three day" food storage system.

Maybe there won't be any training, but they should at least step in to keep the Industry alive. It is only Britain that lets all its industries die with out a fight.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    subject13 wrote:
    It is only Britain that lets all its industries die with out a fight.

And America.
  • Options
    Of course...i forgot them!
  • Options
    if we were cutting down the trees as fast as we are cutting down sea life ...
    then forrestry jobs would have to go ...or we just carry on hacking down till theres nowt left to cut down ...no forrestry industry.
  • Options
    wot no fish?.....they'll have to get job in burger king.
  • Options
    What forrestry industry in England is there? Supermarkets dont cut down trees to sell the wood, but throw away 80% as trash, so it isnt even remotely an accurate comparison.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    What forrestry industry in England is there? Supermarkets dont cut down trees to sell the wood, but throw away 80% as trash, so it isnt even remotely an accurate comparison.
    where i live forrestry and saw mills are one of the main employers ...and the pallet and fence and shed makers etc ...on a huge scale. across the country.
    it may well have been a bad comparrison thpough.

if your family are part of this industry then it's understanavble why you want it to last ....how long though?