Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting a 2:2, is it even worth it?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm only in my second year but its looking very likely that this year, thats the highest grade I'm going to come out with.

Is it even worth staying at Uni as the impression I've got is that companies don't even recognise 2:2s as a degree.

I'm studying Law and I'm finding the course incredibly hard and the highest marks I'm coming out with this year are 2:2s despite working hard for my essays and stuff. The only thing I do well in our my assessed seminars where I can explain myself better.

Is it even worth staying at Uni and getting myself in more debt for a 2:2?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you explained this to your teacher, its possible you may have a mild learning difficulty which makes the writing part harder for you.

Just a thought.
    *Stacey* wrote:

yes of course it is!

just make sure you bulk your cv out with work experieince and other achievements in uni societies etc.
    gah i think i'm gonna end up with a 2:2 at best as well so I really need to get a placement year so I can boost my CV :/
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    lipsy wrote:
    yes of course it is!

just make sure you bulk your cv out with work experieince and other achievements in uni societies etc.

:yes: I always feel quite depressed when I hear people questioning whether they should stay at uni for a 2:2 - I know so many people who have been really successful after uni getting a 2:2 - this includes journalists, teachers, social workers and more. If you can prove your committment to a particular field of work, are bright (well you're at uni doing law so I'm guessing you are to get that far) and personable then you have more chance than someone who comes out with a 1st and just expects to land the first job they apply for.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    what do you want to do in the end? because if you're wanting to do the LPC and ultimately get a training contract, you still can with a 2:2 but i would recommend getting as much legal experience as possible, and do any sort of voluntary work, so it makes you stand out.
    haha shall i quit now???
    saying this from an outside view, someone who has changed jobs recently, had relationship issues, depression related issues, might suffer for an unspecified amount of time in relation to the best that they can do in a field such as uni work

things will get better, just keep on top, do your best, and most of all, look out for your self as well as others

hope this helps
    I got a 2:2 degree and managed to get a fabulous graduate job within a month on getting the degree. I think a lot more emphasis is placed on experience that what grade you get at degree level as thats what sets you apart from other graduates.
    what graduate job may i ask? I am in my third year, it is def hard work on the job front. But it still is worth it even if you get a 2:2, depends how motivated you are to get something.
    could someone explain the degree grades to me?
    Ballerina wrote:
    could someone explain the degree grades to me?

If your average marks work out to be 70%+ you get a 1st
    60-69% 2:1
    50-59% 2:2
    40-49% 3rd

There are probably slight variations at some unis, but this is the general scheme of things :thumb:
    *Stacey* wrote:
    I'm only in my second year but its looking very likely that this year, thats the highest grade I'm going to come out with.

Is it even worth staying at Uni as the impression I've got is that companies don't even recognise 2:2s as a degree.

I'm studying Law and I'm finding the course incredibly hard and the highest marks I'm coming out with this year are 2:2s despite working hard for my essays and stuff. The only thing I do well in our my assessed seminars where I can explain myself better.

Definitely stick at it. You're only in the second year. I got grades of 3rd and 2:2 in my first and second year then worked really hard and came out with a 2:1. I think you'll find it's only the very top companies that insist on a 2:1. Do you definitely want to go into Law? So many other things count, as well as your degree classification: personality, work experience etc.
    *Stacey* wrote:

Yes.
    it better had be bloody worth it, that's the best I'm guna come out with too
    Sorry to drag up an old-ish thread...

I'm writing an article about the stereotypes associated with each grade and how to overcome them when job-hunting.

I'm really interested to hear your views on this- what grade did you get - and what do you think is the stereotype people asociate with it? Also, what's the best way to 'sell yourself' to overcome the stereotype?

A few people have already said how they did it but it would be great to hear the kind of things you put on your CV and mentioned at interviews to show that you made the most of uni. I'd like to hear equally from people with higher and lower grades - there's a huge stereotype out there that if you got a first you can't have had a social life, for example...

:thumb:
    My friend got a 1st. He had a part time job, did his dissertation at the same time as trying to shoot his final year film with a cast of about 20 (in addition to all the usual essays), was president of the breakdancing society, and so set up a load of events, and had the best social life of anyone I know at the same time. And now he works in a surf shop.
    scrawled on the desk in one of my lecture rooms:

"2:1, the drinking mans 1st"

says it all really :p
    lol, yeah i hope noone takes offense cos this is only meant in a lighthearted manner, but the general consensus between me and my mates was something like this.....

1st - 'no lifers' degree (you know those people who are always sat right at the front of the lecture hall, and would never come out for a pint if there was work to do - there's always work to do ffs)
    2.1 - 'drinker's/druggies' degree (those who knew how to have a good time and relax but didn't fuck around when it mattered)
    2.2 - slacker's degree (these people had too many good times and not enough brains to compensate......)
    3rd - part-timer's degree (you know the ones you only saw in your lecture at the beginning and end of each semester? LOL)......

as for how you overcome these stereotypes i've no idea, just have a decent CV and blag it in the interview i guess.....
    lol, yeah i hope noone takes offense cos this is only meant in a lighthearted manner, but the general consensus between me and my mates was something like this.....

1st - 'no lifers' degree (you know those people who are always sat right at the front of the lecture hall, and would never come out for a pint if there was work to do - there's always work to do ffs)
    2.1 - 'drinker's/druggies' degree (those who knew how to have a good time and relax but didn't fuck around when it mattered)
    2.2 - slacker's degree (these people had too many good times and not enough brains to compensate......)
    3rd - part-timer's degree (you know the ones you only saw in your lecture at the beginning and end of each semester? LOL)......

as for how you overcome these stereotypes i've no idea, just have a decent CV and blag it in the interview i guess.....

haha like you say no ofense intended but that to me is just so how it is!
    If you are any good you will be recruited with a 2.2. I have a friend who is flying with RBS Corporate, and her 2.2. didn't do anything against her. It makes it harder, but if you're any good and your ambition is there you'll be alright.

I have a 2.2. I wish I'd got a 2.1, and in my chosen profession a 2.2. does make it harder to get in with Magic Circle firms. I don't want to be with a Magic Circle firm, so I've had to go down the experience route. I'd have had to do that if I'd got a first though.

2.1s are better, but they aren't the be-all and end-all of life. Some companies won't look at you, but companies with sense will do so.

I'm not being funny or anything mate but I'm studying Law. Its hard to get 2:2s alot of the time. I'm averaging out a very high 2:2 at the moment and believe me, I'm no slacker. I'm working hard at the moment to try and push that up to a 2:1.

I averaged out a high 2:1 last year. I've worked harder this year than I did last year yet I'm getting a lower mark.

Your theory sucks.
    *Stacey* wrote:
    I'm not being funny or anything mate but I'm studying Law. Its hard to get 2:2s alot of the time. I'm averaging out a very high 2:2 at the moment and believe me, I'm no slacker. I'm working hard at the moment to try and push that up to a 2:1.

I averaged out a high 2:1 last year. I've worked harder this year than I did last year yet I'm getting a lower mark.

Your theory sucks.

ouch, sounds like you took it a bit personally, you obviously missed that bit at the beginning where i go 'don't take offense, it's just a joke'........i do think there is some truth behind it for your average degree, if your'e talking real academic subjects like medicine/maths/law etc then of course it's bloody hard to get a 2.1 let alone a 1st, i rolled with a couple of law cats in the final year so I do know......i'd say they were on a par with me intellectually and they definitely studied a lot harder than me, but both were on 2.2s.......

anyways gavman likes my theory so lighten up ;)
    *Stacey* wrote:

Your theory sucks.

You shouldn't take it so personally.

I got a 2.2 because I didn't do enough academic work. I had about three nervous breakdowns when I was studying so I'm really pleased with my 2.2 (I just wish it'd have been 59.5% not 58%...)

As a joke, I think its fair comment what miguel said.

There's nowt wrong with getting a Desmond.
    any degree is worth it if you can show that it benefitted you as a person and a potential employee.

a 2:2 is what most people get. and since most people have jobs, it's a relatively simple conclusion to come to.
    Kermit wrote:
    There's nowt wrong with getting a Desmond.

I like!
    anyways gavman likes my theory so lighten up ;)

Don't worry. I haven't taken it personally although looking back at my post, it appears that way.

I suppose I just get a little annoyed when people say that people with 2:2s are slackers because I've gone through quite alot in this academic year and still come out with a high 2:2. I'm hoping to push it to a 2:1 though with the courseworks I'm doing at the mo and my exams.

Kermit, I think your uni should have let you off and given you a 2:1. Apparently, according to some students at my uni, if you are really close to the next grade like you were, they just give it you. That could be a load of bullshit though.
    I got a 2:1, I would have been gutted if I got a 2:2. I suppose it depends on your personal goals and what you want to get into. I wanted to get into journalism which is competitive, most of the applicants would have 2:1s or 1sts, and as I went to an ex poly I felt I had to prove myself.

I got onto a newspaper training scheme, there were 10 on the course. 9 of us had 2:1s or 1sts, the only one who had a 2:2 was the owner's son
    :rolleyes:

I think people who get 1sts are either naturally clever AND work hard, or naturally normal and slave away at it. I have two friends who got 1sts, one had a life, went out a lot, drank, took drugs, worked two jobs part time, and worked hard at uni. The other didn't really go out, didn't have a job, but studied like a maniac.

Once you actually get into a job and you're a few years down the line, I can't imagine people really care that much about degree classifications.
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Kermit, I think your uni should have let you off and given you a 2:1. Apparently, according to some students at my uni, if you are really close to the next grade like you were, they just give it you. That could be a load of bullshit though.

They round up from 59.5%.

I got 57.5%. Not close enough, but very close.

To be honest, my uni were very good to me. I had a nervous breakdown and never submitted a dissertation, and it was taken into account- so much so, my dissertation mark was my best one :lol:
    kathryn wrote:
    The grade boundaries are set at 40(3rd), 50(2:2), 59 (2:1), 68 (1st) but there is a grey area of 0.5%, so the REAL boundaries are 39.5, 49.5, 58.5 and 67.5.
    So they do give a bit of leaway...but not much so don't count on just being given anything!

If they grade your degree by preponderance you can get a grade even though you are 2-3% below its boundary as long as half your modules round up to the higher grade.