Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Napster type thing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Don't know whether this should be in entertainment or the computers one, but anyways.

Does anyone know of anything equivilent to Napster (the one where you subscribe and you can access as many songs as you like) but for restaurants and pubs? I figure you can't use the regular Napster for legal reasons, but I might be wrong.

And also a general Napster question. Do the songs have to be played in their own media player if you don't pay the per track cost, or do you still get an MP3 file on your PC which you can do what you want with and play using other software?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought Napster was legal now, no?

If I remember well they sign a deal with the RIAA.

If someone could confirm or not, cos not sure.
    Napster is legal now, but you have to pay for downloads, like the majority of them. But you can still get some illegal file sharing programs out there on the net.
    The best way I think to download song illegally is to download them via usenet.
    Damn fast, you don't wait and for as little as $10/month you can find server where posting (sharing) is anonymous and they do not keep log, so even if they got sued they can not provide information about what you downloaded or posted.

Cos of the way newsgroup downloads are it is a bit more complex than other p2p software but it sure worth it for the speed and security.

Usenet Download Tutorial
    your internet service provider would still keep logs of you accessing the anonymous server, and exactly how do you know that they dont keep logs, and are just asking for your money?
    MrG wrote:
    your internet service provider would still keep logs of you accessing the anonymous server

Indeed, but it is 100% legal to connect to newsgroup server and they are originaly use to post and get news. Now they are also use to exchange files.
    MrG wrote:
    and exactly how do you know that they dont keep logs, and are just asking for your money?

Well maybe cos that's what they offer as services.

Some are free as well and ISP often provide newsgroup as well.

Everyone I know that tried it stick to it and never went back to an other method.
    Okay, my thread was hijacked. Napster works, I think, by you paying a monthly subscription to access their catalogue of music (kind of like renting videos online) but you can still buy them to keep as well. Sorry to bring my work onto The Site by the way, but it's doing my head in listening to the same shit music every day at work. And they probably spend more than £15 a month on crap CD's anyway.
    Otherwise use LimeWire ...
    Don't think that'd go down well when my boss gets sued for using illegally downloaded music though really.