Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The right place? house probs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If this is wrong redirect me please

I'm living in student accommodation, and recently my flat mates and I have been having a lot of problems.

The cleaner seems to be reducing her work load more and more, and had just refused to clean our kitchen because the floor is dirty?!

Additionally, despite the fact that every other floor in the building has had redecoration and refitting, we are being charged the same rate. This is particulary annoying, as we are top floor, and have sloping ceilings. So we have further to go, and, for the worst affected, 1/3rd less room space!

The main issue that we are having though, is that we are being fined £75 each for something which is not out fault. Our kitchen lock jammed, and was fixed. A few weeks later the lock fell out of its hole and went missing. Now we feel that the lock falling out cannot be blamed on us, nor can we be blamed for it being stolen. Its not like one of us decided to hide it, out of a genuine desire to be poor! We feel that it is the responsibility of the accommodation group to pay for it, but I don't really know how to get my point across.

Are my problems real issues, or is this discourtesy common practise in the cheaper end of student accomodation? Would I be justified in making an official complaint? If so, should I try to complain face to face with someone, or should I write a letter, would that be taken more seriously? When I went to the office to query the fine previously, they were very dismissive. I have also tried to ask the wardens, but they don't know. Or don't care.

Help?

Comments

• Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    I think it is definitely worth going to see your housing officer and telling them what has gone on - it is not your responsibility to fix things such as locks if they break - see this article:

http://www.thesite.org/homelawandmoney/home/renting/repairsandmaintainence

As a student, you have the same rights as any other private tenant. As for the cleaning, this seems a bit strange that your floor is not being cleaned because it is dirty? You could always go and speak to people on the other floors and compare levels of dirtyness to see if you are being treated unfairly?!

I think that you often get things done faster if you go and see someone face to face and maybe as a group to get your message across. It's not like you don't have better things to do with your time so hopefully they will take you seriously!

Hope that helps, you could also look here:

http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-2457.cfm