Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Confused about my job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been in my job as a trainee legal secretary since October. Anyway as far as I was concered this is a different role from being an office junior. Now i have just found out that they now recard my role as being an office junior which I wouldn't have taken the job if this was the case. I am not sure what to do. Please help.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    I have been in my job as a trainee legal secretary since October. Anyway as far as I was concered this is a different role from being an office junior. Now i have just found out that they now recard my role as being an office junior which I wouldn't have taken the job if this was the case. I am not sure what to do. Please help.

You can always find for an other job, it's easier when you have one already and you have now the experience necessary to go and get a better job.
    I just don't think I have that much expierence though. All I have done is been at college for 2 years and got my HND in Business Administration and then I have worked 6 weeks in a sherriff court as an admin assistant and now about 6 months in this job. I don't think its very much expierence for this field of work.
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    I just don't think I have that much expierence though. All I have done is been at college for 2 years and got my HND in Business Administration and then I have worked 6 weeks in a sherriff court as an admin assistant and now about 6 months in this job. I don't think its very much expierence for this field of work.

Well then maybe just stay for an other 6 months to get a year of experience and go look for someone else. Unless it is that horrid working over there?
    Its not that bad working here but its just that they won't let me progess in the ways i want to. I am just seen as the person who goes and does all the photcopying and rubbish stuff like that.
    everyone has to start off somewhere though, don't they. most of the top people you work with will have started off making cups of tea and coffee.
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    Its not that bad working here but its just that they won't let me progess in the ways i want to. I am just seen as the person who goes and does all the photcopying and rubbish stuff like that.

Have you tried discussing it with them?

Telling them that when you were employed you were promessed or thinking of progressing within the company, but after 6 months you are still assign boring tasks. Sometimes they are receptive and going to them and talk about it will show your wish to do more for the business. All will depends who you are going to dicuss it with tho.
    everyone has to start off somewhere though, don't they. most of the top people you work with will have started off making cups of tea and coffee.

I am aware of that but they employed me with a job title then they are making it something else. I just want to know where i stand.
    Have you tried discussing it with them?

Telling them that when you were employed you were promessed or thinking of progressing within the company, but after 6 months you are still assign boring tasks. Sometimes they are receptive and going to them and talk about it will show your wish to do more for the business. All will depends who you are going to dicuss it with tho.

I have spoken to the main person in my room and she is now going to speak to the head. Just waiting for a response.
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    I have spoken to the main person in my room and she is now going to speak to the head. Just waiting for a response.

Cool, fingers crossed :)
    I just don't know what to do if they are going to say I am just the junior becuase that is not what I want.
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    I just don't know what to do if they are going to say I am just the junior becuase that is not what I want.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worse.

What the worse that could happend.

They keep you as a junior. Don't think their attitude toward you would change, it is no big deal. Unless they are cunts you are dealing with here.

And best case they will make you do more intesresting things.

Just wait for the answer and see.

And don't be scare to ask some time to think about it if they offer anything or ask you any question regarding your employment. Sometimes answering in a rush is not good. They will not be upset if you need 10 mins to thing about your career.
    Well just heard that now it is going to be taken to HR and they might be sorting out a training program for me. So fingers crossed.
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    Well just heard that now it is going to be taken to HR and they might be sorting out a training program for me. So fingers crossed.

Cool, fingers crossed for you ;)