Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What makes someone funny?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been thinking about it a lot lately but cant quite place it. I know someone who is the funniest person ive met, every joke he cracks goes down well and everyone just gets on really well with him. What makes you guys laugh? I feel my humour is at sometimes 'immature' and am trying to alter it to a more witty, funny humour. Any tips?

Comments

• BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    its timing, but i dont think you can just change your humour, its something that just is. you cant learn to be funny, as such. ask someone who knows you what they think of your humour, and take it from there...you maybe are worrying about nothing.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think you either funny or not. Like Bunny said you can't teach comedy (Well you can kinda but it's better if it's a natural thing).

Number one rule though is to have the ability to laugh at yourself.
    Yeah I would agree with the other posts...

I think people who use shocking humour make me laugh the most...

People who do things which make everyone say... "I cant belive he just did that"...
    I think I have quite a strange sence of humour myself, but I seem to be able to make people laugh!
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    you cant learn to be funny, as such.

Im not sure, i think you can to an extent, i listen to what funny people have to say and normally 'copy' it in someway or another. I know this is not really 'my humour' but after a while i tend to know what to say in situations etc. I know i'll never be a stand up comedian but imo i think humour is the most important thing in life.
    Im not sure, i think you can to an extent, i listen to what funny people have to say and normally 'copy' it in someway or another. I know this is not really 'my humour' but after a while i tend to know what to say in situations etc. I know i'll never be a stand up comedian but imo i think humour is the most important thing in life.
    well i mean by all means try, but the worst thing is when you can tell that someone is 'trying' to be funny and then it just ends with a deadly silence. its one of the most cringeworthy situations. what has triggered all this off? is it that someone has said something? you have met someone funny? trying to impress someone? (im just being nosey!) and what do your mates say your humour is like? have you ever made antone laugh on your own? people say i am funny, but then half the time, i am just being me and i dont know what i have done or said thats so god damn amusing!
    Why was the mushroom at the party??

Because he was a fungi (fun guy) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :eek2:
    Why was the mushroom at the party??

Because he was a fungi (fun guy) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :eek2:
    oh dear :rolleyes: :p got anymore?
    What did the Lepper say to the prostitute.....

.... Keep the tip! :D
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    oh dear :rolleyes: :p got anymore?

Whats red and sits in the corner?

A naughty strawberry. :yes:
    JamesZero wrote:
    What did the Lepper say to the prostitute.....

.... Keep the tip! :D
    i am ashamed to say that amused me! :blush:

A blonde calls her boyfriend and says, "Please come over here and help me. I have a really difficult jigsaw puzzle, and I can't figure out how to get it started."

"What's it supposed to be when it's finished?" her boyfriend asks.

"According to the picture on the box, it's a tiger," says the blonde. Her boyfriend decides to go over and help with the puzzle. She has all the pieces spread over the table. He studies them for a moment, then looks at the box and says, "I don’t think you'll make this look like a tiger. Let's have a cup of tea and then…then we'll put all these Frosties back in the box
    Bunny_0_ wrote:

A blonde calls her boyfriend and says, "Please come over here and help me. I have a really difficult jigsaw puzzle, and I can't figure out how to get it started."

"According to the picture on the box, it's a tiger," says the blonde. Her boyfriend decides to go over and help with the puzzle. She has all the pieces spread over the table. He studies them for a moment, then looks at the box and says, "I don’t think you'll make this look like a tiger. Let's have a cup of tea and then…then we'll put all these Frosties back in the box

I wouldnt be too ashamed... first time I heard that joke I pissed myself laughing for about half an hour!!

I have heard that blonde joke before, very funny though! :thumb:
    Bunny_0_ wrote:

V goood. :lol:
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    what has triggered all this off? is it that someone has said something? you have met someone funny? trying to impress someone? (im just being nosey!) and what do your mates say your humour is like? have you ever made antone laugh on your own?

Im a pretty laid back person, never really asked anyone bout my humour but i make most people laugh. Just would like a 'different' humour, and yeh i suppose its meeting this really funny guy at school thats made me think about my humour. Heres just a taster of my brilliant 'mature' humour :chin: (yeh i have posted this joke in another thread but its my favourite)

"whats the best thing about sleeping with 21 year olds?"

there's 20 of them
    Im a pretty laid back person, never really asked anyone bout my humour but i make most people laugh. Just would like a 'different' humour, and yeh i suppose its meeting this really funny guy at school thats made me think about my humour. Heres just a taster of my brilliant 'mature' humour :chin: (yeh i have posted this joke in another thread but its my favourite)

"whats the best thing about sleeping with 21 year olds?"

there's 20 of them
    well if you make people laugh already dont change that..this other bloke just happens to be a bit better at something than you.. he might not even know he is all that funny. just stick with what u have got, and cherish it! :D
    I think you either funny or not. Like Bunny said you can't teach comedy (Well you can kinda but it's better if it's a natural thing).

Number one rule though is to have the ability to laugh at yourself.
    Agreed. You have to be able to laugh at yourself!
    I like quit wit too an dplaying on words. Some people don't even have to say anything funny to be funny.

I do prefer a male (or 'ladette') sense of humour though.
    Bunny_0_ wrote:

:lol::lol:
    thats hilarious
    I think ive got a bit of a weird sense of humour. I can be quick thinking and witty sometimes and ive been told im funny by some people, but sometimes i make jokes just for me, and noone else laughs, but im just pissing myself - God that makes me happy.
    I am not funny.
    katralla wrote:
    I am not funny.

:lol::lol:

see you are funny...
    ^^^ was the intended effect. I'm so funny.
    katralla wrote:
    ^^^ was the intended effect. I'm so funny.

I know, that why I laughed :yes: :D
    Seriously though, I am not funny. I can count on one hand the number of times people have laughed at a 'joke' of mine IRL.
    Seriously though, I am not funny. I can count on one hand the number of times people have laughed at a 'joke' of mine IRL.
    Could you repeat pls? :lol:
    I forget ... so you're not funny?

me neither :(