Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My curls are gone!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I straightened my hair last night as a desperate attempt to avoid doing an essay..... I don't look like me anymore!!

My flatmate came back and told me I look really fit with straight hair, but I look in the mirror and all I see is 95% of the rest of the population - mostly the ones that piss me off, with their white blonde-over-damaged-ironed-poker straight hair...(sorry to anyone who looks like that).

I'm keeping it this way for a day to have some fun and see if people recognise me (three people have blanked me since I did it - haha) but I think I'm gonna have to bring my curls back this evening - I feel like a clone and I have no bounce on my head anymore! Not entirely sure how to deal with it either - styling it's virtually impossible. It's like having some exotic animal on my head....

Anyone else got an aspect of their appearance that would really shake them up if it was changed?

Comments

• Options
    That's so true neverly everyone i see here has poker straight hair, even though I do straighten mine, I olnly have to do it after I wash my hair, the other days I just leave it and it stays straight but its not poker straight, as I curl it under to form a bob.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not having a go at people who straighten, was just having a bit of a rant. It's just weird that an aspect of your appearance can define you so much. Everyone knows me as the one with the curly hair - without it I feel like it's not really me.... bizarre.
  • Options
    My hair is strange as it is naturally quiet straight but it does have a nautral wave, which does seems to help it keep a bit of life, which personally I like. I don't see the point in having poker straight hair, it just hangs there.

Edit: but each to there own, I think curly hair can look just as good. Why should we all become clones.
  • Options
    I know what you mean...
    I have really really curly hair and when I straighten it I feel like another person!
  • Options
    If I don't wear specs I feel like another person.
  • Options
    i straighten mine because it looks messy otherwise...and frizzy, only if im going out though, if im not doing much i dont bother
  • Options
    All my friends know me with straight hair - I don't think they've ever seen me without freshly straightened hair. I dunno, with my natural hair (curly) it just doesn't feel like me.... I feel unkempt (sp!?) with curly hair.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not having a go at people who straighten, was just having a bit of a rant.
    no of course not, just that you think people who straighten their hair are clones.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    If I don't wear specs I feel like another person.

Same. I also feel a bit like a startled rabbit!
  • Options
    I can't even remember pre-straightener days. We must have all looked so crap with our frizzy natural hair. Strange this post is up, I always straighten mine but today I got so pissed off with it I decided to just leave it and have shit hair for a day. It's not even wavy, its just a mess, but I have gone beyond caring now. :razz:
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    no of course not, just that you think people who straighten their hair are clones.

Ok so maybe I put it a bit strongly. Was in a bad mood. But you must know what I mean - it's bad enough when you go out and EVERYONE'S wearing a denim skirt and flat boots with tights; yeah it looks good, but if the rest of the population have the same wardrobe you've gotta get a bit tired of seeing the same old same old. Here in Bristol, a lot of the time if you see two blonde girls from the back you wouldn't be able to tell the two apart. Same way I feel about hair - I really value individuality and, if you're straightening your hair to stop it looking messy then fair enough. But when people have gorgeous waves and something a bit different, it bothers me that they tame it to the point where they join the hordes.... Maybe it's unjustified, I don't know. But I do believe if you've got something that sets you apart from the crowd you shouldn't run out and change it unless it really bothers you.

But people with straight hair wasn't the point of my post - I was talking about how one aspect of your appearance can define you or make you feel like you....
  • Options
    I don't like my hair naturally wavy.. it's too short - if I wear it down I look like someone from The Strokes or something. If I have it down I straighten it, and clip my extensions in. I don't like it up wavy, either, cos if I brush it, it turns into a fuzzy ball.
  • Options
    There was definitely a poker-straight hair obsession a wee while ago, I actually think it's blown over to an extent...lots of people embracing natural curls and waves etc.

About time too! :thumb:
  • Options
    Well I'm embracing fake waves AND my straighteners. Depends what mood I'm in :p
  • Options
    if i don't wear sunglasses i see the world in a whole different light

hahaha ha !
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    There was definitely a poker-straight hair obsession a wee while ago, I actually think it's blown over to an extent...lots of people embracing natural curls and waves etc.

About time too! :thumb:
    yeh i have to say that i never liked the poker straight look. i do straighten my hair a little bit but only to make it lok a bit less thick and coz i have loadsa layers.
  • Options
    i only straighten my hair 'cause it's a bit curly/wavy/kinky and i look ridiculous if i don't straighten it.
  • Options
    I've got really curly hair, it gets a bit annoying at times, so its good to be able to straighten it sometimes.. wouldn't do it all the time though as it takes too long

But i see what you mean about everyone seeming to have straight hair now, having curly hair's different :)
  • Options
    ooh i would love some clip in extensions.. how much, how long does my hair have to be.. also i have a weird hair colour, will i be able to match it?
  • Options
  • Options
    Just like those blokes with the silly mullet things.

Cloneararma.
    they're like so last year :p
  • Options
  • Options
    i only straighten my hair 'cause it's a bit curly/wavy/kinky and i look ridiculous if i don't straighten it.

:yes:

you're not wrong. not all of us curly heads were blessed with curls that actually look nice. left to its own devices, my barnet is somewhere between

flapper bob:

CW203Flapperwig.jpg

and sideshow bob:

sideshowbob_thesimpsons_240.jpg

:nervous:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    :yes:

you're not wrong. not all of us curly heads were blessed with curls that actually look nice. left to its own devices, my barnet is somewhere between

flapper bob:

CW203Flapperwig.jpg

and sideshow bob:

sideshowbob_thesimpsons_240.jpg

:nervous:

:lol:

my friend once told me that i looked like a lion pre-straighten. :grump:
  • Options
    my hair is naturally wavy when short and naturally straight (just about) when long.

I wear mine straight and wavy, depending on how i feel. I prefer it wavy but because its so long its a chore to curl and i cba so i just tend to straighten the kinks of my shorter bits
  • Options
    this is my pre-straighten, i wish the waves would go neat and tidy but they just kind of end up looking unbrushed :p
  • Options
    I had mine long and blonde and left it to be mostly straight but bit wavy when it felt like it, until about 2 1/2 yrs ago when everybody seemed to be having poker-straight blonde hair. Mine felt messy coz i didnt spen hours straightening it so i dyed it darker.
    But now a lot of people seem to have done that, and the likes of Kerry Katona, Jordan, Jodie Marsh have made it more popular, not that they're style icons or anything.

Anyway, its shorter and blonde on top, dark brown underneath, and i wear it straight because it suits the style and because i dont have curly hair at all. I straighten it to make it look tidier and dont give a toss how many other people i look like because i like it.