Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Which bank?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am with lloyds and have been for about 15 or so years and I would like to change to another bank now. Which do you recommend for a normal current account (not barclays)?

I was looking at HSBC but I've heard that their not all that good for reason I don't know, any suggestions?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Would a buliding society be acceptable? I'm with nationwide and i think they are pretty good and have been banking with the for about 4 years now.
    They are always really helpfull whether you ring up or go into the branch (but obviosuly all local banks are different) But then i tend to do most of my stuff online now days, but yeah i think they are pretty good. My boyfriends with them aswell and they have cancceled charges when he's gone overdrawn and stuff before, and depending on your account you can have an already approved overdraft of £500, but i've never needed one so don't really know too much about all that jazz though.
    I'm with Nationwide, so are my parents, I've been with them for as long as I can remember, my boyfriend switched to them within the last year or so I think he was with Abbey (or what ever they call themselfs now).
    Yeah we're with the Nationwide too, never had any problems with them.
    Dumb question but do Nationwide do Visa Debit Cards?
    yes they do
    And what about their call centres, are they based in the UK?
    I'm not sure I have never phoned them, as i live 5 minutes from my local one so I just walking and ask, my dad has phoned them a couple of times and they always seem very helpful, their on-line banking is good.
    And what about their call centres, are they based in the UK?

I have a visa debit with nationwide yes. When i rang them to say i'd forgotten my pin number when they sent me a new card the woman was obviously english, but i can't say for certain that they all are you could check on the website though.
    Hbos?
    Panthro wrote:
    Hbos?

:banghead: only if you want fuck ups

Im switching to HSBC at the mo, just because I've worked for Halifax as a customer also they treat you like shit under their shoes. I wont go into detail but I would never ever do business again with them.

HSBC seem to be handling things pretty well at the moment. Bigger banks usually do value their customers more.
    Nationwide are pretty sweet. They don't charge you for using your card abroad like pretty much all banks. The services i the branches is really good. I think they're all based in the UK too - although you could easily ring to find out.

I like HSBC too. But, their call centres are offshore. Haven't had any problems with them though.

Coop Bank/smile are based in the UK for their 'ethical values'. Which is a joke in itself... but in my opinion, they're a pile of shit.
    What are Nationwide's fees for going overdrawn (cannot get on their web atm)
    Does this help?

click
    HSBC are crap. I've had nothing but problems with them, and everytime i phone to get help i end up with some twat speaking some weird and wonderful language.
    royal bank of scotland.

i only say that 'cause i've been with them for years (as have my parents/sisters) and their customer service is excellent.
    Nationwide (not a bank, but a good place to put your money).
    Dont go to HSBC, go to First Direct, they have stupidly good call centers (I've been on hold for a maximum of 2 mins) and, if you need to use a branch you can use an HSBC one. And there's all that online business too, but I never bother because calling them is quicker than turning the computer on.
    I'm with cahoot and have no complaints.
    The few times I've phoned they've been helpfull (and UK based :)), but usually I do everything online with no problems.