Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Oxford academics: say YES to animal vivisection

Until now, animal rights protesters have made all the noise in a dispute over a new research lab in Oxford. But this weekend the city's famed academics are planning to hit back just as loudly, as pro-testing campaigners hit the streets.

According to one Oxford academic, a war is looming over "scientific freedom" and the "future of progress", no less. And this Saturday the battle for and against testing will shift from the city's dreaming spires to its historic streets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4739376.stm

Let the war begin :D

Anything that pisses off the ALF is good in my book.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yay for Animal Testing!

Boo to stupid animal rights groups. Yes... i support animal rights. But experiments = needed. The people protesting against it might as well be saying lets go back to dieing of old age and fear at 30.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    cut 'em up ...if it means saving MY life.
  • Options
    Animal rights terrorists annoy me. They use violence and threats to pursue their flawed agenda and ignore the widespread consensus amongst the population that eating meat is acceptable and testing on animals for our benefit is also acceptable. Their vile propaganda also forgets that most experiments are on rats and mice – they’d have us believe that most animals tested on are monkeys and chimpanzees (tests on great apes are actually banned in Britain – and monkeys make up a tiny proportion of the animals killed but hey, rats and mice don’t look as cuddly on a leaflet).

Anyway hooray to anything that pisses them off.
  • Options
    Animal "Rights" terrorists should be used for drug testing in my book. They've got a warped mentality.
  • Options
    rickramone wrote:
    Animal "Rights" terrorists should be used for drug testing in my book. They've got a warped mentality.
    :thumb:
  • Options
    Wooo!
  • Options
    rickramone wrote:

Let's donate you to Procter & Gamble for research purposes.
  • Options
    The ALF and the like are terrorists and as such should be hunted down and charged with terrorism offences.
  • Options
    I hate the idea of animal testing, but tend to sit on the fence on this one... Until another alternative is found what will we do?

Human beings are naturally selfish when it comes to survival.

But as far as I'm concerned, I won't buy products if I know animals have suffered for my vanity or comfort. But on the other hand, one day I might have cancer or something... Then it'll be survival.
  • Options
    I
    Human beings are naturally selfish when it comes to survival.

as is the whole animal kingdom ...just that we are a lot brighter and rule the roost.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    But as far as I'm concerned, I won't buy products if I know animals have suffered for my vanity or comfort. But on the other hand, one day I might have cancer or something... Then it'll be survival.

Yeah, thats the thing. Cosmetics testing, nah, I don't really agree with.

But for life saving research, ok, go for it.
  • Options

exactly, cosmetics are a no-no really

medication, they take every testing method then do cell cultures, tissues samples and then animals, and then humans
  • Options
    exactly, cosmetics are a no-no really

But let's face it, they are only a no-no because the main set of experiments you'd want to do have already been done.
  • Options
    Just a thought but testing on an animal proves what, exactly?
  • Options
    Just a thought but testing on an animal proves what, exactly?

You can get good indications as to the drugs workings on the receptors in the brain, its LD50, its actions on the organs etc.

Certainly its not fool proof but it gives you good indications and you can do it much quicker than you can with humans (testing generations of animals).
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    But let's face it, they are only a no-no because the main set of experiments you'd want to do have already been done.

exactly

and the point that i genrnally find cosmetics useless anyway