Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Offensive

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Am I just over-reacting or is this offensive?

I mean it's a movie geared at belittling people with disabilities, totally not cool

It is like that Johnny Knoxville film coming where he plays a man who enters the special olympics to get a medal and pretends to be a 'retard'.

Talk about taking the piss out of vulnerable people and trivialising the lives of those who give up a lot to look after them. :mad:

Sooo not cool.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i dont think i could find it offensive as i dont really have any physical disabilities to speak of

but i do find the concept repulsive and shocking
    i don't see the big deal.
    if anyone finds it offensive ...then don't bleedin' watch it.
    I don't find that offenssive at all.

I have seen much worse, just look at some Troma videos.

But my limits are quite extreme, so I find thing offensive very rarely.
    The most offensive thing about it is that it looks like utter shite.

Also sounds like that Retardead film that is coming out/is already out. So it's unoriginal, too. :cool:
    I know I know...

I just wonder if there will be an uproar about it.
    I know I know...

I just wonder if there will be an uproar about it.
    you lost me moon.
    an uproar about what exactly?
    Er, is it real? Looked llike a spoof site to me?
    Am I just over-reacting or is this offensive?

I mean it's a movie geared at belittling people with disabilities, totally not cool

It is like that Johnny Knoxville film coming where he plays a man who enters the special olympics to get a medal and pretends to be a 'retard'.

Talk about taking the piss out of vulnerable people and trivialising the lives of those who give up a lot to look after them. :mad:

Sooo not cool.
    offensive? Maybe.

But more importantly it looks like shit, I'll bet every moron has had the same idea occure to them when they were in 5th grade. Seems somone is actualy dumb enough to try it.
    offensive? Maybe.

But more importantly it looks like shit, I'll bet every moron has had the same idea occure to them when they were in 5th grade. Seems somone is actualy dumb enough to try it.

Diverging from the topic but i just read you signature, do you listen to the 4-Skins at all?

Chaos to 1984 and all that. :cool:
    i wouldnt really say its offensive..you could always look at it from the other angle.
    Either all films that star disabled people are offensive because they are being exploited, or films that dont feature disabled people are offensive because they are not casting people with disabilities
    Spliffie wrote:
    Diverging from the topic but i just read you signature, do you listen to the 4-Skins at all?

Chaos to 1984 and all that. :cool:
    Yup.

4Skins, Cock Sparrer, The Oppressed, DKM, The Prowlers, all the staples. :cool:

pluss all the hardcore and ska bands I can get my hands on, skinheads have good taste.
    icey wrote:
    i wouldnt really say its offensive..you could always look at it from the other angle.
    Either all films that star disabled people are offensive because they are being exploited, or films that dont feature disabled people are offensive because they are not casting people with disabilities

Oh dear.
    just stating both sides to the arguement. i can see how some people would find this movie offensive however, but I personally, don't.
    edit: oh and that johnny knoxville movie is so ripped from a story on south park :p
    Anything can be offensive to anyone etc. When something is universally offensive is when it matters, not when feminazis find it offensive etc.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    icey wrote:
    edit: oh and that johnny knoxville movie is so ripped from a story on south park :p

I thought that. But probably, at least southpark is funny.

This film looks like a joke. If it is real, some people needs some fucking better ideas. I'd shoot them just because this is blatantly going to be, the WORST FILM EVER.

And yeah, it's going to be taking the piss out of people with disabilities, duh. Look at it.
    I think the film looks like shit, its like the guy in one of the scary movie films "I CAN DO IT MYSELF!!" *sucks his own dick*

Taking the piss out of disabilities can be humourous, I mean lok at what little brittan did with the "I want tha one" guy that was funny because thats what my sister does.

But that film whether its a spoof or not just looks shite. If they made a film where the guy with the disability was the hero and saved the day it would be cool, but they arnt using people with real disabilities, its just people who think they know about what its like to have whatever they're trying to pretend they have and thinking its funny. If I met them I'd probably have a right go, but becuase I cant do that, I dont see the point in getting so worked up.

But I do agree its not a nice thing to do. oh and I'm not a femanatzi...
    i think it looks quite fun, but then i do like my tacky films.

i dont think its offensive really, its not making FUN or lets all point and laugh at the disabled people stuff.

I saw the Jonny Knoxville film "The Ringer" not so long ago and i really enjoyed it, i thought it was quite funny
    I don't find that offenssive at all.

I have seen much worse, just look at some Troma videos.

But my limits are quite extreme, so I find thing offensive very rarely.
    Me too. I rarely get offended.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Me too. I rarely get offended.

tbh I even like it more when they try to get offensive :yes:
    I find that offensive! Can't they leave handicapped people alone.
    elasticity wrote:
    I find that offensive! Can't they leave handicapped people alone.

It's just a movie...

What's wrong with it anyway, at least they make fun of them like they would have make fun of non-handicapped people. It shows they are threated equally.
    koe_182 wrote:
    its not making FUN or lets all point and laugh at the disabled people stuff.

Erm... I think it is.

Anyhow it looks total shite to be bothered with.
    If they can't make fun of handicapped people, then they shouldn't be able to make fun of non handicapped people. EQUALITY!!
    my_name wrote:
    If they can't make fun of handicapped people, then they shouldn't be able to make fun of non handicapped people. EQUALITY!!
    When did you go upto someone and say "Hahaha, you aren't retarded!"
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    When did you go upto someone and say "Hahaha, you aren't retarded!"

Earlier today actually.
    my_name wrote:
    Earlier today actually.
    You did it just to prove me wrong, I know. :p
    Of course it's offensive, it's designed to offend people so the PR people can market it as "daring" and "controversial".

And if you get offended by it, well, you just don't have a sense of humour do you.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    You did it just to prove me wrong, I know. :p

The sad thing is I actually do say that though :p But more in a ha ha your jelous kind of way