Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

DoH not advertising emergency HIV treatment enough

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4733462.stm

this is a very effective treatment if you know for certain you were exposed to HIV in the past 2 days, and has a very high chance of stopping you ever getting HIV yet it isn't advertised

this is far worse than the breast cancer drug thing as its a treatment available but people have to lie to get it, it seems

Comments

• Options
    Its been described as the morning after pill for HIV, which seems a serious claim to make.

I guess the fear is that people will be less careful if they know they have this 'safety net'. But is that really the case?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its been described as the morning after pill for HIV, which seems a serious claim to make.

I guess the fear is that people will be less careful if they know they have this 'safety net'. But is that really the case?

exactly, theres no situation in which someone would do this cause they're too lazy to use condoms simply because this 'treatment' is 8 weeks of heavy retrovirals which are extremely on the body by themselves as it disables dna encoding and cell repair mechanisms

the only situation it would be used i can conceive of is 2 people in a relationship where one has HIV and both are aware of this fact and a condom breaks or something

it's not light, it's effectively an emergency treatment, the same thing hospital staff get if they get squirted by arterial blood in the eye or something
  • Options
    I had never even heard of this until just now and i try to keep up to date with new medical advances and so forth... :S
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I had never even heard of this until just now and i try to keep up to date with new medical advances and so forth... :S

exactly the point of the thread
  • Options
    I'd never heard of it before either, maybe it should be better publicised. Is it really only given to people who work in hospitals who accidentally prick themselves with needles, etc? What about rape victims?
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    I'd never heard of it before either, maybe it should be better publicised. Is it really only given to people who work in hospitals who accidentally prick themselves with needles, etc? What about rape victims?

theres no guidelines as such on giving it but its normally given to people who get needle pricks etc
  • Options
    I have heard of PEPs - it is mentioned more in the gay press such as Gay Times etc. The gay press give a much better coverage of the issues surrounding HIV and AIDS than the mainstream press do.

I read last year in GT that they are introducing trials of PEPs for gay men in Brighton and London at a selection of sexual health clinics. In the article it said that it was only going to be given to the passive partner and only when precaution had been used but failed for example a condom splitting.