Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Can you dump someone with out hurting them?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,

I have a friend (who shall remain nameless /points) who needs to dump a girl he has been seeing for a few weeks and he wants to let her down gently, as she has taken the whole situation far more seriously than he has and thought he likes her as a friend he doesnt' want to hurt her.

Now as far as I know that however nice you are about dumping someone at the end of the day you are always going to hurt them.

However I thought i would throw it out to the site massive for thier words of wisdom.

(Also its a bit of an LDR thing (and not THAT serious) so meeting up isn't that feasable)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hmm, sometimes you just have to hurt someone. I dont think there really is much way round that.
    maybe the old "its not you, its me", "youre too good for me", etc
    unless thats what they both wanted, someone will be hurt.

But he lets her down gently, it wont be shouldnt be too much of a big deal if they have only been going out 2 weeks, she will get over it
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    We all know that it sucks to get dumped and even the gentlest rejection can lead to a sense of loss and sadness in the person being turned away. Unfortunately these feelings are inevitable; when we are rejected, not only do we lose self-esteem, but we can also lose a sense of hope. These feelings can occur even when we don't really want to be with the person who is rejecting us - although that's rare of course.

Sorry not to have better news for your friend - but it's always worth doing it in the most gentle way possible, because at least it will be easier for the girl to look back on the relationship fondly in later life.
    I don't think you can; unless maybe you make them hate you so much that they dump you instead.
    I'm also running a sweepstake on the side for anyone who can guess who the site member who was too shy to post this himself is....