Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I've had it with a levels

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Have you ever got to the point where you think "I just cant hack it!"? Now, I know there will be some people who are going to reply to this post and say something along the lines of if you cant hack it then you're not good enough (in a polite way) and I appreciate that in some part it might be down to me personally, but mainly Im just ranting here and need some empathy of people who've gone through a similar stage.

At the moment of writing Ive got a pile of homework. Im going to get started when I finish this post, but I might leave the net up so I can see when someone replies. My A levels are Economics, Maths, F. Maths, and AVCE ICT. Now, econ, maths & f. maths are all easy because they're theory -> I can just learn things incredibly easily and remember them. The teachers still have a go at me all the time for not putting in enough effort though, but I'm a very independent learner and when I dont get something Ill go over it in my own time, when I do get things I wont... which is why they get annoyed because they need to see Im doing the work.

AVCE ICT is a different kettle of fish. I enjoy the subject, but the workload is so demanding!! 5 hours a week in school is fine, but its something like 10 hours a week out of school as well! Im so far behind and we're only 2 weeks into our new project, and I dont really understand all of it (we're using Microsoft Access to build a database).

Now my teachers are good sometimes and bad others. One of my maths teachers knows I do things differently and just treats me like normal (yay). One of them is old fashioned and thinks I should do the homework as soon as I get home (fair enough) and my other one is ok, but talks about his concerns over me with my form tutor + my girlfriend (who is in another maths class with him).

My economics teacher is ok himself, but he can be a bit clueless. He doesnt teach us the theory and wants us to find it all out for ourselves, and forgets about the syllabus and keeps trying to get us to do different things to make the subject more interesting with the result that the ENTIRE class feels lost and worried when coming up to the exam. However, as I when I have these problems as Ive not done as much homework he wipes his hands clean (understandable -> but my issue is with his teaching style, and Ive politely said this to him and he's tried to change and it works, but then he goes back to his old 'go on the computer and do your own thing' style).

My IT teacher is a really nice guy, but its the workload I cant cope with.

My form tutor is ok sometimes, but sometimes she makes fun of me. The other week in tutorial although I get stressed about schoolwork and things, she joked with the rest of the class that I was 'naughty' because I didn't do my homework, which knocked my self esteem. Its like she uses me as an example of how not to be a good student sometimes.

The thing is, in myself, I feel I can learn the stuff, go to the exams and get the grades which should be the important thing. However, I panic and get stressed when the teachers are putting pressure on me to do their work specifically, and that Im a failing student, regardless of my grades (in maths I havent got a grade lower than an A, in econ. my lowest is a B, AVCE = B, f. maths = A).

Sometimes, I just want to tell the school to FOAD and study at home for my exams, even though I do need the teachers to help me learn the stuff.

Sorry for the rant, and thanks to anyone who can take the time to read and/or post a reply. Ive got a parents evening coming up and im going to talk to my form tutor without her making fun of me.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I actually thought you had somethign to worry about there until i got to the end and saw that you never got a mark lower than a B.....

Your obviously intelligent and able enough to do the courses your on.....so really its the teachers your clashing with and nothing more. In the end, college is about you. The teacher who is an ass to you for your time there will still be there when you leave, so who cares about them. It sounds like you get on with the majority of them....do other people get pressured by the same teachers you have trouble with?
    I used to butt heads with one of my teachers constantly....never agreed on a single thing, he hated the way i worked, i hated the way he teached....but i came out with one of the best marks of the class....
    Basically, dont let some personality clashes get in the way of your (obviously) good work.Since you say your IT teacher is a nice guy, go to him and tell him your worries....i did AS level computing and due to gettin behind and worrying about the course, my teacher literally took me step by step through every single thing to get me a passing grade.....

Take it easy dude, im sure thins will work out.....
    I did get a D in my first economics exam but that was due to me feeling rubbish on the day (you know when you just feel down?), and I retook it and got a high B. IT I did get a D in the exam but we were told we were expected to since our college wasnt very good at it, and I got As in the coursework things so Im ok.

I just wish it was all over and I was on my summer holidays :(
    you need to chill out!

just do your best that's all you can do.

you're bound to be stressed, everyone gets a bit stressy around exam time but you need to put it into perspective..while you may be bored of a-levels, you're going onto uni next so it's only going to carry on...! :p
    I get to this point every year for about the last 6 years, as in I cant cope, i want to quit etc. And I some how drag my arse up and get the grades. I'm like you I can learn and remember the theory really easily, and can get really bored in lessons because of this. Luckily my main tutor know me and lets me get on with things and trusts me to get the work done, I just need to start my project, but the other person involved keeps dragging their feet. I just want to do the exams, qualify and have some time off studying. But I currently really really want to jack off the accoutanacy studying and do a pure maths degree instead.
    When I was at 6th form, I got to the second yr, about 7 weeks before exams and thought, 'I can't do this anymore'. I took a week off school, with my parents permission, to decide what I wanted to do. A week later and I was back at 6th form. I decided I'd studied my A levels for a year and a half, and I was nearly at the finish line, if I didn't finish, I would've wasted all that time and stress for nothing.
    I talked myself round, got extra help with my Psychology coursework (it was that that was making me want to quit) and finished. (I also had a huge personality clash with my Psychology tutor which was throwing me off course) But, I swapped tutors and I came out the other side with 2 A levels and an AS.

I now think it was the best decision I've ever made. If I hadn't stayed, I'd be working full time in a clothes shop by now, and that's not something I was prepared to do. I'm now on my way to a career I would never have been qualified for, if I hadn't completed my A Levels.

So, the moral of the story is. Never give up. Keep going, get it finished and never look back.

Ilora x
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I did get a D in my first economics exam but that was due to me feeling rubbish on the day (you know when you just feel down?), and I retook it and got a high B. IT I did get a D in the exam but we were told we were expected to since our college wasnt very good at it, and I got As in the coursework things so Im ok.

I just wish it was all over and I was on my summer holidays :(

Yes - it's often said that A levels are one of the hardest things you do in you educational career - keep going - you can do it! ;)
    and it'll all be worth it in the end :yes: it's hard, but you dont have long to go now. try not to stress yourself out about it, but keep up the hard work.
    Today was a difficult day, my own fault. Supposed to be in school for 8.30 but didnt get up till 10!!! Then I skipped 2nd lesson because I was tired, and got there for third which was ok and then in fourth I was struggling with the work (I STILL dont know how to use microsoft access) and got laughed at, and then everyone in the class was dossing about and I was trying to catch up when I wasnt sure what to do.

I have no idea why i missed period 1 + 2 though, i think the stress is just getting to me so much! Really tired atm, and I havent done anything all day. I will try and do some homework tonight though. Sorry for using this thread like my own little diary :p i should use my lj really. I just seem to get more support on here.
    Today was a difficult day, my own fault. Supposed to be in school for 8.30 but didnt get up till 10!!! Then I skipped 2nd lesson because I was tired, and got there for third which was ok and then in fourth I was struggling with the work (I STILL dont know how to use microsoft access) and got laughed at, and then everyone in the class was dossing about and I was trying to catch up when I wasnt sure what to do.

I have no idea why i missed period 1 + 2 though, i think the stress is just getting to me so much! Really tired atm, and I havent done anything all day. I will try and do some homework tonight though. Sorry for using this thread like my own little diary :p i should use my lj really. I just seem to get more support on here.

Access is a hard program to use anyway - even one of the IT teachers in school thinks that.
    I'm doing a piece of coursework on that at GCSE. It takes alot of getting used to.
    I've got my five tables now -> tblCustomer, tblStock, tblLoan, tblCategory and tblArchiveLoan. Ive had to add in some extra stuff like gender etc to the customer table. Im supposed to have it all designed on paper beforehand though, which I think is idiotic when I dont know how/if its going to work.

Went and used up some energy earlier on a bicycle ride and I have to say it has made me feel a bit better. All I've got to do is: finish my economics essay, catch up my maths, do this IT.
    I had to use MS Access for IT Level 3 when I was in sixth form. It's a bit of a pain but quite useful as I found myself having to use it in my first proper job after I left school (even though it seemed annoying at the time).
    My IT teacher said when he worked as a systems analyst there were far better programs to use than MS Access. The main issue I'm having is that he wants us to design it on paper efore we do it but I'm just sitting with a pen and paper not knowing what to do at all. It was ok when we did it with excel as I knew how that worked, but with this.... im not so sure.
    My IT teacher said when he worked as a systems analyst there were far better programs to use than MS Access. The main issue I'm having is that he wants us to design it on paper efore we do it but I'm just sitting with a pen and paper not knowing what to do at all. It was ok when we did it with excel as I knew how that worked, but with this.... im not so sure.

We always have to do our rough work on papaer, then do what we planned on the computer - however, I never actually stuck to my plans.
    A levels are easy comparing to uni!

Access was hard for me, then 4 months later I did so much SQL Server tables, queries, relationships, etc I wish I used that in my project for A2 ICT. Then I would have got better than a C :( lol
    A levels are easy comparing to uni!

Access was hard for me, then 4 months later I did so much SQL Server tables, queries, relationships, etc I wish I used that in my project for A2 ICT. Then I would have got better than a C :( lol

I just cant get my head aroudn the write up. Everyone else in my class copies off each other, but me being a loner, I just struggle. Sometimes they even copy the entire program and just change a few bits.

Im ok with maths though, thats what I want to do at uni. Its hard to do IT coursework when you're not sure about the program you're using though.
    Isn't there a tutorial on the MS website or not?
    I just cant get my head aroudn the write up. Everyone else in my class copies off each other, but me being a loner, I just struggle. Sometimes they even copy the entire program and just change a few bits.

Im ok with maths though, thats what I want to do at uni. Its hard to do IT coursework when you're not sure about the program you're using though.
    have you asked the teacher for help or to go through it with you again?

But does everyone else actually understand what they're copying from the other people?
    well i cant exactly say anything about A levels cuz im not that far into school yet but i can say about collage its gettin me way down and pissin me off so much its to much work ive got no life anymore!! :shocking:
    a levels are a cunt. but i say use your teachers thats what they're there for. even if its just to say "look i know [enter work here] is due in tomorrow but i'm about to throw my computer at the wall" honesty helps tell then whilst you're not struggling with the work itself, the amount is stressful.