Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

feeling a bit low

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Recently I've been missing quite a few lectures, I know I'm making less effort and my exams results were pretty dire. I sometimes get stuck in a rut and just lose all motivation, some of it is boredom but mostly it's problems outside uni, e.g. with my gf.

Has anyone got any suggestions about how to give myself a kick up the arse? Do you think I need to try and sort out my problems and then everything else will fall into place, or should I just try and get on with uni and hope stuff gets sorted out at some point? Thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thought I might get at least one reply...
    give it chance! i normally come in the student forum a bit but missed your post. don't be so impatient. :p

first off, what year are you in?
    I know the feeling. i've missed one of my seminars this semester 3 times in a row and apparently today the teacher called my name out in class and then said 'ooh she's never here!'. then i handed in an essay 3hours late today. so had a pretty shit day.

i always see something like this as a blip or a phase and after a week or 3 it will right itself. i think now you know that you're in the rut and you recognise that its causing you problems then you should and will be able to make an effort and start afresh.
    Maybe have a look at the uni experience as a part of your life as a whole. Where do you want your life to go? What impact is uni going to have on who you are as a person? Who do you want to be, and does that person fart about or do they throw themselves into learning?

I always find myself whinging about the odd hour I have to spend listening to a lecturer and taking notes, but I find if I catch myself doing that I can always remotivate myself by reminding myself that I'm here to learn about something I'm interested in, and that I want to be someone who does everything as well as possible. I know where I want to go with my life and uni is a key part of that, why mess about with it?

Other problems are exactly that - other problems. Try throwing yourself into your studies and distract yourself from all the other crap going on. Deal with what you have to do at this precise moment, and then deal with the next thing when it arises.
    I know your problems unrelated to Uni probably seem more urgent/important at the moment, but you NEED to make yourself go to lectures or Uni is just going to become another problem to add to the heap. I'll second lucifer_devil's question though, what year are you in?

It's easier said than done, I know, but is there anyone else in your flat/house or on your course who could maybe give you that extra push to go? Like you could meet up with one of your coursemates outside the library or at the canteen half an hour before lectures and then head there together...so then you'd be letting someone down if you just decide to fuck it off.
    Other problems are exactly that - other problems. Try throwing yourself into your studies and distract yourself from all the other crap going on. Deal with what you have to do at this precise moment, and then deal with the next thing when it arises.

I agree completely with this, don't let your problems snowball and take your Uni life down with them. If you're feeling down or stressed then the last thing you'll want to do is head out to what may well be a boring lecture, but you just need to DO IT. I personally don't know of any special motivational tricks (someone else may, who knows?) that can make you go to your lectures. Rely on the sheer force of your own will, and if you really feel like you can't turn up just at the minute then speak to your lecturer or personal tutor if you have one. It's not a big problem at the moment, but you should definitely try and nip it in the bud asap.
    Thanks everyone for your ideas and thoughts. Sorry I didn't mean to be impatient, just normally people reply to threads like a second after they're made!

To answer the question, I'm in my second year. I'm off to america to work for a year in July, and at the moment that's kind of my goal, to go there, have a good time etc and then come back be completely prepared for my 3rd year.

I know I can't just neglect anything this year, that would just be stupid of me. I do look at myself sometimes and think "I don't wanna waste this opportunity". I guess I sometimes find it quite easy to concentrate on one particular problem, and make it get bigger and bigger...I really want to try and do as you say now, and really knuckle down. I've got career plans!

On another note, I'm not looking forward to explaining my exam results to my personal tutor when I see him in the next week or so...any ideas? :(
    On another note, I'm not looking forward to explaining my exam results to my personal tutor when I see him in the next week or so...any ideas? :(
    Explain the situation to him a bit maybe?
    yeh you need to be honest with them, they'll be able to help. they want you to pass, afterall.

i'm in my 2nd year too but doing alright at the moment.

you kinda need to tell yourself it actually counts now; your marks go towards your FINAL degree. something you'll probably only do once so need to do a good job of. it's only 3-4 years of your life.

you might think you'll be better motivated after your year in america but you'll need to pass your 2nd year before you get there.
    i feel very similar to you. luckily im in my first year though so hopefully i can change courses... i always get moaned at for being lazy but unless i really enjoy something i find it really realy difficult to motivate myself to do it... but when i do enjoy it i learn stuff really quickly and get on with it...

Anyway... if you enjoy your course for the most part then i'm sure you'll be ok... Did you feel like this in the first year at all?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Explain the situation to him a bit maybe?

:yes: It's important to be on good terms with your tutor for your third year because you will probably want to be able to go to them for support as the important deadlines in your final year start to arise. The fact that he wil be concerned about your progress suggests that you currently have quite a good relationship with him??

You sound pretty stressed right now so it's probably a good idea to try and find ways to cope with that - this article may be useful. Take care of yourself while trying not to keep putting work off - if you can do a small amount consistently up until you go to the States for the summer then you will hopefully be able to enjoy the time a lot more than if you are worrying about what you might have to face when you come home.

Still a few months to go - good luck ;)
    i think most students go through that phase where you're so stressed you just don't give a damn about uni work, lectures etc. that's the time you need to take a lil break n rejuvinate yourself man!
    n yeah,if things with your gf ain't that great it'll add to the load...but whether you're going to take action in that aspect first is totally up to u. things could work out both ways...you get your uni act together,n then it might help you to clear things up with your gf...or....you get things with your gf together and it might help you to clear your uni things out!..it's decision time.. good luck! x
    Don't worry I haven't been to class all year!
    turlough wrote:
    Don't worry I haven't been to class all year!

not exactly the best example to set, is it turlough. :p;)
    Sorry for the self bump, just have a bit of an update. I have been trying very hard to motivate myself, and in general it's working. Still some iffy moments but not too bad.

And I also broke up with my gf this evening, so we'll see how that affects everything. Hopefully once I get used to it, there will be a lot less stress. I hope.
    Well, ok- as long as that's not bravado speaking. Breaking up with someone can be a bit of a knock. Hope you ok...
    katralla wrote:
    Well, ok- as long as that's not bravado speaking. Breaking up with someone can be a bit of a knock. Hope you ok...

I didn't mean it to sound like that. It just felt easier to talk about it as if I'm okay about it all.
    I didn't mean it to sound like that. It just felt easier to talk about it as if I'm okay about it all.

stick in there dude... I'm in my final semester of my final year and also finding it veeeery hard to motivate myself