Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

TV show follows drug addict detox

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
Article from the Guardian here with a brief description of a new Channel 4 show - what do you think, a step to far or a valid way of stimulating debate?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think it is a step to far. Information is always good to take.

Also some addict might wonder how it really happend when you go to detox and all, so at least it might give them a better idea. Also it doesn't mean it would make them go over there more easily.

At the end like everything that go on TV it'll depend how it is shown to the public and how it is commented.

After to really show what the heroing addiction is like I think they would have to take more cases that just 3 people tho. Cos even if addiction of a same product is suppose to be the same for everyone, the level of addiction can differ and I believe that heroin addiction does can also differ depending on people personality.
    LadyJade wrote:
    Article from the Guardian here with a brief description of a new Channel 4 show - what do you think, a step to far or a valid way of stimulating debate?

It depends entirely how its handled, it will be a difficult topic to get right, but if they do then it could be very educational.
    I watched it last night, it left a distinctly uneasy feeling in me. Clucking as entertainment? Hmmmm. I hope Channel 4 are paying for rehab as well otherwise they don't have a chance.
    I watched it last night, it left a distinctly uneasy feeling in me. Clucking as entertainment? Hmmmm. I hope Channel 4 are paying for rehab as well otherwise they don't have a chance.

What he said :yes: I think the subject matter endows C4 with some responsibilities toward these people.

There's a guardian article, quite a long one written by an addict using a new form of therapy (I'll try and dig it up, i forget the details). At the end of the article it states, The Guardian has met the cost of x's rehabilitation in lieu of a fee for this article. As far as i am aware he eventually got clean
    When's it on?

I've seen programmes like this before, there was one a while back with alcoholics and smackheads at some country mansion undergoing treatment. Good idea if done correctly imho.
    There have been a couple of tests with Ibogaine recently, though it seems a pretty extreme way of getting people to quit.
    only cuagh part of it last night.
    from what i saw they were pushing the prog as being about cold turkey ..?
    if so it was misleading as they were dishing out sedatives and other drugs ...thats not cold turkey.
    interesting though.
    I remember watching something like this when I was younger about a journalist/photographer who got into heroin while he was filming a documentary about it (well at least it was something along those lines).

It totally scared the shit out me and seemed so extreme, I always wondered whether all heroin addicts are like that or whether some can continue a normal-ish life, I'd assume if they could lead a normal life then it would mean money at least wasn't an issue.

Either way I think its a really interesting subject and I suppose any discussion of this kind is gonna at least raise awareness of what life is like for these people who I guess are otherwise ignored by society at large.
    Spliffie wrote:
    When's it on?

I've seen programmes like this before, there was one a while back with alcoholics and smackheads at some country mansion undergoing treatment. Good idea if done correctly imho.

There was a documentary about Clouds rehab. Thats not the same thing as detox though.
    Blagsta wrote:
    There was a documentary about Clouds rehab. Thats not the same thing as detox though.
    The bit i don't like about clouds is their religous stuff ...hymn singing and the like.
    wasn't clouds house once the home of alister crowley?
    Watched this last night i think, thought it was bollocks. Shock TV imo masquerading as something else. The silly super-serious presentation by that news presenter made me cringe.

They're all sedated and do little other than mumble nonsense and occasionally spew, so why film them? Gratuitous IMO.

An insightful documentary would have been a far better idea.
    Blagsta wrote:

Is that the one with the posh blonde girl? They had forbidden relationships but a few of them got together if it's the same one i'm thinking of?

Thought that was fairly decent from what i can remember.
    Best ever docu i've seen on the matter was about alcoholics at some centre in London. Thought it was hilarious at the time, but now i want to watch it again with a more serious mind.
    I remember watching something like this when I was younger about a journalist/photographer who got into heroin while he was filming a documentary about it (well at least it was something along those lines).

I don't know if it's the same thing, but I remember reading (in the Guardian as it happens) about an addict who underwent supposedly groundbreaking detox at some rural place or other because he was about to become a Dad. I think. I'm not sure if it worked in the long-run, I remember he relapsed a few times. Anyway, off on a tangent.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Watched this last night i think, thought it was bollocks. Shock TV imo masquerading as something else. The silly super-serious presentation by that news presenter made me cringe.

They're all sedated and do little other than mumble nonsense and occasionally spew, so why film them? Gratuitous IMO.

Agreed.

It's sensationalised rubbish, and as rolly said it doesn't even hold true to the title of "cold turkey". The idea of slotting drug addiction neatly into the reality TV genre makes me feel distinctly uneasy.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I am fairly certain the Guardian article Martin adn Briggi are talking about is this one by Andrew Constantine, I remember it too because it was really engaging, I so desperately wanted him to succeed at stopping...
    Spliffie wrote:

i have to agree.
    Only thing wrong with this prog is that it is not on at a time where it can be seen by a younger audience. If more people saw the reality of Heroin they would think twice about getting involved. I dont give a monkeys about the people in there, although the one bit of good they have done in their lifes is to demonstrate to potential addicts what they could be letting themselves in for.

Take that stuff more than a few times and either live a miserable life until you die or have to go through the detox misery shown. I hate the new breed of reality TV programs and have no wish to watch them, but the fact is they have big influence on young people today. One that shows the reality of Heroin as ugly as it is must have some positive effect on society.

Sure a Heroin addict could function normally for a good while if they could afford to maintain the required dose and be sure that what they were using was always pure medical grade. But the fact is without being some sort of millionaire the only way to sustain it is to live a life of desperate crime and end up taking any old crap until it kills you, get banged up or go through the detox misery. Ex addicts still have longterm health issues to deal with and just like ex alcoholics or smokers will still face temptation for the rest of their lives. If people can see whats involved in coming off it they are less likely to get involved in the first place.

As far as drugs are concerened it is better that people see the facts in all their miserable glory rather than just being hiden away from it and preached a just say no message. Show people the facts and let them make their own mind up, this program at least shows some of the reality. If anyone with half a brain fully understood Heroin addiction they would never get involved in the first place even if they are offered their first few hits for nothing.
    LadyJade wrote:
    I am fairly certain the Guardian article Martin adn Briggi are talking about is this one by Andrew Constantine, I remember it too because it was really engaging, I so desperately wanted him to succeed at stopping...

That's the one. :thumb:
    An ex-crack addict made a much better one for the beeb a while back, it followed about three or four people on crack and heroin. Still remember the image of that one woman, went into hospital to give birth, had been using throughout, walked out without the kid because it went straight into care. The last image shown was of her waiting on a kerb for punters on xmas day with a little santa hat on, days after giving birth.

After a while i find myself agreeing with Spliffe, i think the most worrying thing about portraying this to Joe Public in such a way is that they are not emphasising that 1) This isnt Cold Turkey 2) This intensive treatment is not available to even a modicum of people who need it. It simply isnt this simple.

Oh and the idea of the 'possible love story' between the nurse and darren...Big Brother Does Detox :no:
    TheCure wrote:
    demonstrate to potential addicts what they could be letting themselves in for.

. Ex addicts still have longterm health issues to deal with and just like ex alcoholics or smokers will still face temptation for the rest of their lives. If people can see whats involved in coming off it they are less likely to get involved in the first place.

thing is ...they aint showing you the reality.
    they are showing you a bunch of people treates with extreme kindness and even more drugs ...thats not the reality for the vast majority.

once a heroin habit has been kicked there is always temptation. i kicked my habbit around twenty years ago and still get moments where i think ...mmm why not.

no one i know who has packed opiate addiction in has any health problems.
    I just posted this on the thread in entertainment

Its shite. It presents a very narrow medical model of addiction that is outdated and useless. Those poor bastards haven't a chance without proper aftercare and rehab. Its not good enough to merely detox - thats the easy part. Staying off drugs is the hard part. If you've been taking opiates for 15 years, thats 15 years of not properly feeling, not growing and relying on drugs for your good feelings. People are often stuck at the emotional age when they first started seriously using, they now have to learn to grow up, to cope with actually feeling and hurting for the first time in a long time. Without proper support, rehab and therapy, I'll bet they'll be bang on it again in a month. :(:( :mad:
    Blagsta wrote:
    I just posted this on the thread in entertainment

Its shite. It presents a very narrow medical model of addiction that is outdated and useless. Those poor bastards haven't a chance without proper aftercare and rehab. Its not good enough to merely detox - thats the easy part. Staying off drugs is the hard part. If you've been taking opiates for 15 years, thats 15 years of not properly feeling, not growing and relying on drugs for your good feelings. People are often stuck at the emotional age when they first started seriously using, they now have to learn to grow up, to cope with actually feeling and hurting for the first time in a long time. Without proper support, rehab and therapy, I'll bet they'll be bang on it again in a month. :(:( :mad:
    spot on ...stopping is relatively easy ...staying stopped is another ball game.