Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Teens admit to drug peer pressure

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
for my course ive got to wirte an assignment on this topic, im trying to get as many opinions possible so where else to ask than here ! so what do you think of these assumptions :
"one fifth of teenagers pretend to take drugs to look cool"
"boys are twice as likely as girls to pretend they have taken drugs"
"teenagers today learn to understand who they are by definfing themselves through social bonds and affiliations with peer groups"

:thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Where are these assumptions coming from?
    This is why I'm always really dubious about drugs survey's for kids, they are totally unreliable and the kids, even if it is just a survey no friends will see will lie.

If drugs were legal and you bought then in a boring shop from a boring chemist they wouldnt have the mystic they do now.
    Well I'm not a big fan of the Daily Mail or FRANK and the article is a bit vague.

I mean how are they defining drugs? It's hard to know if this is including alcohol and cigarettes or just illegals. Typical sham journalism from the Daily Mail.
    yea i totally agree thats what ive written in my assignment i didnt have a choice of what article to choose i was just given this strange how my teacher gave me this saying i know you will do well on this topic lol, i just wanted other peoples opinions on it if any one thought differently to me
    It's like the when did you lose your virginity question. The average age for girls is 17 and the average age for guys is 16. I think that's bullshit, considering that the majority of girls shag guys older than them anyway.

Do you have the exact questions they asked in the survey? Because the way questions are asked always has an effect on the answers. I had to do this sort of thing for my degree with reports about the effects of TV reporting etc. If they've published the report, take a look at it, because it could be useful to see the differences between that and how The Mail reports it, or at least look at the original write up.

I wonder what count as peer pressure. It could be "try this, it's good" which is how I've tried practically every snack or drink in the world. Or is it specifically taking things to fit in with friends?
    What's the assignment for by the way?
    its for my a level psychology gonna be pretty shit ! just quickly worte a load of bollocks and none of it makes sense oh well time to get mashed lol
    That's a pretty shit source for a psychology assignment, since you're not actually seeing the report yourself. Would make an easy media studies assignment though.