Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

To Study in the US/Canada

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I can't really remember where this idea came from for me, but I've recently been considering going to the US or Canada to continue my education.

Thing is, I've applied to universities around the UK this year, and had 3 offers so far, but this idea has come up and I've read a bit about it on the Fulbright website, and it is interesting me.

So I've been thinking about rejecting all the offers I've got from UK universities, taking a gap year to work full time and save up, and then hopefully go to a university in North America.

Just wondering if anybody else has done this, either gone to the US or Canada, and if they've sort of thought about it at this sort of time when I have...Any ideas or thoughts...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    All I know is, universities in USA are expensive and there must be reasons why more Brits don't do it.

The education system in the US is completely different to over here. Instead of doing 3 chosen a levels, they seem to carry on all subjects up until college/uni; and at that stage take many subjects at their chosen college/uni.

If thats what you want then go for it, but make sure you do your research:D
    I was also interested in going to uni in USA/Canada but it was so expensive. What I did instead was go to a uni in England and do a years study abroad to Canada. That way you get the experience of studying in North America, but you only pay your UK tuition fees while you're there. Have a look whether any of the unis you've applied to offer this for your subject. Quite a few of the ones I applied to did, but sometimes they don't make it that obvious.
    If you are thinking of applying for a Fulbright you'd better be dam good, they are hard to get.

AES are nice people though and they'll give you all the information you need.
    Does erasmus sort people to go to the US?
    Yeah I was always under the impression that getting a Fulbright was near-as-dammit impossible.

I'd second the year abroad idea, I know a lot of people who've spent a year in Canada or the US as part of their degree. My brother did a Sociology degree and spent a year in Chicago...returned four years later with a wife in tow. :lol: The only person I know who spent their whole Uni education in the US is a fantastic tennis player and got a "scholarship"-type deal. I'm not sure of the specifics though, and once again you have to be shit hot.
    a close friend of mine plays football for a college in the US and therefore managed to get a scholarship, he's just at the end of his 4th year now, he's loved every second of it, he can actually stay on for a year afterwards on his visa which he's considering..

ive visited his Uni and it was great but its not all as cool and fun as it seems in the media.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I was also interested in going to uni in USA/Canada but it was so expensive. What I did instead was go to a uni in England and do a years study abroad to Canada. That way you get the experience of studying in North America, but you only pay your UK tuition fees while you're there. Have a look whether any of the unis you've applied to offer this for your subject. Quite a few of the ones I applied to did, but sometimes they don't make it that obvious.

Yes that's what I did but America not Canada - it's true most Universities don't openly advertise it and mine even tried to stop me going. To the original poster - if you did this and really liked it you could always consider doing further education there beyond Undergraduate. It's probably not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket - but see how far you get with the Fulbright thing - you never know you may just have what they're looking for ;)
    the degree im doing has the opportunity to do an american exchange where you do part your degree in america (or canada). why not think about something like that if its too hard/expensive to do a whole degree over there (have you looked into money? because it is seriously expensive to go and study there).
    badabing wrote:
    because it is seriously expensive to go and study there).

It doesnt have to be if you can get a scholarship (like the Fulbright).