Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

coping with heels

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm pretty short and generally live in trainers. I start a "proper" job next week though as a reporter, which involves going to meetings/court etc. I need to wear heels so I look a bit smarter/older/less like the kid on work experience!

I do wear heels when I go out to clubs etc, but I find them so hard to walk in, and tend to be in a bad mood after a couple of hours as my feet burn and sting so much! Walked home in my socks the other night as I couldn't bear it! How do other girls cope with wearing heels?

Comments

• Options
    practice practice practice!! if you're not used to them, they will annoy you and hurt your feet to start with. but once you start wearing them lots, you get used to it. wear them around the house for a bit to get used to them.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Wedges are much more stable than your average heel, provided you don't go for the 6" option... And there have been some lovely wedges about that look smart and professional, as well as being on trend for spring/summer...
  • Options
    Try some flat boots as an alternative.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    the party feet insoles are supposed to be amazing, but i havent personally tried them, but i would suggest they are worth a go...but its definately practice, try wearing heels around the house, and the you will get used to them...fingers crossed!
  • Options
    or do what I do, and never wear heels.

Cant be doing with it.
    flats can be smart too.
  • Options
    Just wear low heals or wedges and you can buy smart shoes without heels too. Go out and find a pair of shoes/boots with a heel that you're comfortable walking in, cos you maybe on your feet all day!
  • Options
    I tend to wear plain black cowboy boots underneath trousers for work - they have pointy toes, and a small heel so they look a lot more professional that flat shoes...

Ilora x
  • Options
    they don't have to have heels, just aslong as they're smart. some nice flat pointy ones would look nice.
  • Options
    What about kitten heels?
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    What about kitten heels?

I was gonna suggest that.

When I started dancing I had an absolute nightmare, 3" platforms accompanied by a 9" heel (I know - minging) - and Im a trainer and jeans kind'a girl.

Best thing I found was to do your cleaning/housework in them. Wear them around the house and you'll soon get used to them, thats how i learnt to wear my platforms, it really does work, but you have to be consistent.

And buy some party feet from boots, it'll help with the burning pain on the ball of your foot :yes:
  • Options
    badabing wrote:
    , 3" platforms accompanied by a 9" heel (I know - minging) - :

See I love the way they look, just cant wear em.
  • Options
    badabing wrote:

When I started dancing I had an absolute nightmare, 3" platforms accompanied by a 9" heel (I know - minging) -

See i always wondered how girls managed to dance in those sort of shoes. I'd be on my face 2 seconds after putting them on.
  • Options
    Carolina wrote:
    See i always wondered how girls managed to dance in those sort of shoes. I'd be on my face 2 seconds after putting them on.

I was! which was when on of the girl's passed on the cleaning tip! bless her :thumb:

and abbie, seriously - they're not sexy!
  • Options
    badabing wrote:

and abbie, seriously - they're not sexy!
    Oh i think they are, in a bondage babe kinda way.
  • Options
    Oh i think they are, in a bondage babe kinda way.

well when i quit work, i might just send you all my pairs over... im sure you'll find more use for them than me! ...as long as you think of me when you wear them ;)
  • Options
    size 6? :hyper:
  • Options
    size 6? :hyper:

how'd you know?!
  • Options
    Go for wedges, or get some gel cushions for the soles - Party Feet, I think they're called.
    I basically live in heels nowadays - they make me feel so girly, and look older.
  • Options
    I don't think that party feet work tbh, waste of money. Lower heals like kitten heals can also have the same effect as higher heals plus they are comfier.
  • Options
    Scholl party feet!

Sholl Party Feet that you can buy are a lifesaver! They cost about £5 and you can get them from Boots and places like that, supermarkets prob do them, and they are gel cushions you can put in boots, shoes or with sandle-y heels. they are so good, stop burning pain when shoes start hurting you so they're the best thing to get. brooke x :thumb:
  • Options
    brooke wrote:
    Sholl Party Feet that you can buy are a lifesaver! They cost about £5 and you can get them from Boots and places like that, supermarkets prob do them, and they are gel cushions you can put in boots, shoes or with sandle-y heels. they are so good, stop burning pain when shoes start hurting you so they're the best thing to get. brooke x :thumb:

No offense, but your text colour aint easy to read :no:
  • Options
    I think they are rubbish as they don't stick very well
  • Options
    I've just bought some brand new Scholl party feet off ebay for less than 3 quid. Fuck the RRP :thumb:

Ilora x
  • Options
    one inch chunky heels or half inch kitten heels aren't so bad. you could also try wedges although they take a bit of getting used to! or just go for smart looking flat boots that nicely wrap around your legs, and smart pumps or sandals during the summer.