Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I did a few weeks work last year, probably over a month via a temp agency. In several of those weeks I was taxed, with tax and national insurance taken out of my wage.

Now on the tv I have seen ads saying you need to fill in tax return froms an dstuff before the end of january, but then some people have said its march or the end of the year you fill in the forms.

So what I want to know is, do I need to fill out this tax forms? If so, when and does that mean I can get back the tax that was taken out of my wages?

Comments

• Options
    You won't have to fill in the forms. Only people who have complicated tax affairs or self-employed people generally have to fill them in.

Your tax stuff should be worked out for you.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I did a few weeks work last year, probably over a month via a temp agency. In several of those weeks I was taxed, with tax and national insurance taken out of my wage.

Now on the tv I have seen ads saying you need to fill in tax return froms an dstuff before the end of january, but then some people have said its march or the end of the year you fill in the forms.

So what I want to know is, do I need to fill out this tax forms? If so, when and does that mean I can get back the tax that was taken out of my wages?

From what you have said, a self assessment tax return doesn't apply to you.

If you are not working at the moment or claiming JSA & you have been unemployed for 4 weeks or more, you need to get a P50 unemployment repayment claim form. Also get your P45 from the temping agency and send them in together to your tax office. If you include a complete list (dates, addresses) of periods of employment / unemployment since 6th April 2005 it will help speed the process up.
  • Options
    ok

I wa son jsa for sveeral months last year, then wen toff it, I did get a form which I forwarded to my agency and now I am going back on jsa.

I'm not sure what I need to do for th etax though, where I send it, how I get forms and stuff?

I have rcieved tax stuff before, but nowt that said to fill it in.
  • Options
    Ok. As you are claiming JSA at present, you therefore have a source of taxable income and an unemployment repayment doesn't apply.

You are going to have to wait until April unless you sign off JSA before then.
    In April, send in your forms P45 from your previous JSA claim, the P45 from the temp agency and the P60u that you will get from the Jobcentre if you are still signing on at 5th April. If you have a look your last tax coding notice you will find the name and address of your local tax office, send it there. If you office has changed they will send it on.
  • Options
    well I did go off jsa while I was working, I am only just going back on it and haven't got a payment yet.

so if I send off those forms,, I can get the tax that was taken back?
  • Options
    No you can't get it back at the moment because you have signed on, and have a source of ongoing taxable income, although you haven't actually had a giro.
  • Options
    oh right, so when can you get your tax back?
  • Options
    You are going to have to wait until April unless you sign off JSA before then.

:)
  • Options
    Theres a quick tax calculator at

http://www.moneyforums.co.uk/uk_tax_calc.php

Just enter your gross and it gives the tax due on it.