Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Music intensifies ecstasy effects

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
I though some of you might find this article from the BBC website interesting - particulary the following, in light of the thread on comedowns...
Listening to loud music exacerbates the effects on the brain of taking ecstasy, researchers have found.

Italian scientists gave the drug to rats who were then exposed to music at nightclub noise levels.

The researchers measured the electrical activity in the rats' brains and found that noise prolonged the effects of ecstasy by up to five days.

Experts said the study, published in the Biomed Central Neuroscience, showed music worsened users' "comedown".

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I read this somewhere else yesterday.... Why the $$$$ do these highly paid scientists keep telling us things we already know, what a pointless study.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I have heard many people say E enhances the way you listen to music, but never the other way around. They research it to help identify exactly how drugs work and what their long term effects might be, I don't think that's a waste of money.

Some of you are so cynical....
    LadyJade is right - I don't see how that kind of cynicism is going to help you to enjoy drugs any better, especially modern synthetics which we know little about...

...its all very well having an opinion, but a preconcieved subjective viewpoint isn't going to get you anywhere, especially when confronted with scientific evidence. For that matter, why on earth would you be opposed to scientific study of the effects of drugs you consume?! Surely any studies that help us to identify particular or general effects of drugs are only going to facilitate our enjoyment of them, avoid risks, and give us our moneys worth!

:yippe:

Thanks for the link btw LadyJade
    Saw that in New Scientist the other day. As far as I'm concerned any research into drugs is good research, especially ones like MDMA where there aren't any clinical trials for anything.
    especially ones like MDMA where there aren't any clinical trials for anything.

Pity that innit.
    i bet those rats are loving it... if animal testing complaint ppl came in and stopped it they'd be well pissed off
    Sure everyone who's taking ecstacy before knows that and i'm loving my music right now.
    Fuckin rats get the fuckin best of it man.