Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

More pacts from the Labour Party jokers

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What are you on about? Those ideas came about from observation of the physical world.

Your changing your position and deliberately misreading mine. They came about from imagining that the real world was different, and then making it so.

So, the idea comes first, before the change. Your saying that material circumstances make changes happen, which is obviously bullshit. Ideas do.
    You are (quite deliberatly I suspect) misunderstanding and misrepresenting my position. I have never said in any way that "the idea of the internet didn't come before the internet in reality". If you're going to engage in debate, please try to extend me the courtesy of actually reading my posts.

That IS what you said. You just said it again in your first answer. Why not read what you have written and then see why I keep coming up with the same conclusion.
    A Roman could not have imagined the internet

Sure he could. I don't see the relevence to the process - problem - idea - action - new problem. Your saying problem - pixies/mystical forces - solution.
    And why did you think people thought of horse shoes? Because they observed that horses would often become lame.

Yeah, but not everyone did! Some people thought up the idea, then made them. Other people didn't, and didn't. If material circumstances made solutions magically appear then everyone would come up with the same solutions. Bobbins, and you know it.
    And he got his ideas from observing the physical world. Whats your point?

That you can stack idea on top of idea on top of idea, with no way to make the ideas reality, which means that ideas need no relationship to what you can currently do. Notice your roman can't do "x" example? This disporves it totally.
    Oh god, you're a dualist. No wonder you're so nutty. Ideas arise from material reality klintock. Unless you believe its those pixies again.

Look, are there limits on what ideas you can come up with or not? Does the mind obey the rules of physics or is it totally unconstrained. Wink the eye in your left knee whenever you like......
    No, it is. Get out there and meet people. My ideas are not formed from reading books and posting crap on the net.

Very odd. Because all you do is recommend books and post crap.
    I've lived in 5 different cities in the UK and known everyone from TV producers and pop stars to street junkies and prostitutes.[ I can tell you that your material circumstances do very much influence the way you see the world.
    /QUOTE]

I never said it didn't usually, only that it doesn't have to. Grab some reading glasses or something.
    Yes, its my job too. I work with people from all walks of life from people who've been city traders and company directors to people who've left school at 12 and been in and out of prison all their lives. Thats why I have the views I do - I talk to people for a living.

I don't just talk, I watch and act too. This is why I hold the views I do to.
    See, you think those perceptions can be changed quite quickly because you're an advocate of simplistic and superficial quick fixes like NLP and hypnotism. People's perceptions can be changed quickly, but they change back even quicker.

This is mostly true. Except for the bit about "superficial" "short term" and "change back even quicker". If you sort secondary gain out properly stuff sticks well enough.
    Real change requires a change in material and social circumstances and a lot of internal work that takes years.

Internal work can be done very very quickly. Changing the other two is vital I quite agree, especally for people whose main problem is their social and material status and i also agree that it takes time for those things to change.
    Its my job mate, to help people change. If NLP and hypnotherapy worked long term they'd be used in my line of work.

Mate, your job is to help those with shit social and material positions, rather obviously you focus on those areas. Thing is though, people with good social and material positions also have problems. If you don't fix all three they'll wind up back where they started. Again, no argument here. I normally only have to look at one area, the presenting problem.
    If you think you can understand what people feel and think just by observing them you're crazier than batshit.

Never said that. I said I can see HOW someone is thinking just by looking at them, I have no idea on content (although sometimes I can guess). that is I can see which internal sense they are using to process information, how they store memories, where how they percieve time and that kind of thing. You'll find most addicts have their time behind them so they don't learn from mistakes.
    You gonna imagine him some money into existence? or hypnotise the jobcentre to get off his back? :lol:

The first one is dangerous, the second one possible but unethical.
    I see you're unwilling to be drawn on the Queen owning stuff. Quelle surprise :rolleyes:

Ask the government who has first title to eveything in the "UK". They'll happily tell you they do. Get in touch with the dvla and they'll tell you they have first title on your car, you merely have equitable rights on it.

Oh and it's "HM MAJESTY" the corporation, not brenda, she just waves and tries not to look to bored.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Your changing your position and deliberately misreading mine.

No, I'm not.
    klintock wrote:
    They came about from imagining that the real world was different, and then making it so.

They came from observing the real world. You seem to think that ideas are completely divorced from material reality. They're not. Someone sees the material reality around them and it leads to ideas. Thus observing birds leads to the idea of flight.
    klintock wrote:
    So, the idea comes first, before the change.

No. The idea is prompted by the material world.
    klintock wrote:
    Your saying that material circumstances make changes happen, which is obviously bullshit.

Errr...no I'm not. Try again.
    klintock wrote:
    Ideas do.

Ideas which come about from observations of the material reality.
    klintock wrote:
    That IS what you said.

No it isn't. Try again.
    klintock wrote:
    You just said it again in your first answer.

No I didn't. Try again.
    klintock wrote:
    Why not read what you have written and then see why I keep coming up with the same conclusion.

Because you're being deliberatly obtuse. Read again or quote me.
    klintock wrote:
    Sure he could.

Errrr...how exactly?
    klintock wrote:
    I don't see the relevence to the process - problem - idea - action - new problem.

Yes. Problem. Originating in the material world. Solution also originating in the material world. What don't you get?
    klintock wrote:
    Your saying problem - pixies/mystical forces - solution.

No, thats your position.
    klintock wrote:
    Yeah, but not everyone did! Some people thought up the idea, then made them. Other people didn't, and didn't. If material circumstances made solutions magically appear then everyone would come up with the same solutions. Bobbins, and you know it.

Eh? Its your logic thats bobbins mate. People can only think of the idea of horse shoes when they have observed that horses become lame. There is nothing in this that means that everyone automatically comes up with that. :confused:
    klintock wrote:
    That you can stack idea on top of idea on top of idea, with no way to make the ideas reality, which means that ideas need no relationship to what you can currently do.

You've lost me. Da Vinci would have got the idea of the helicopter from observing the natural world, from those little helicopter seed things that so fascinate children? Y'know, the real world? Remember that?
    klintock wrote:
    Notice your roman can't do "x" example? This disporves it totally.

No, can't work out what you mean here.
    klintock wrote:
    Look, are there limits on what ideas you can come up with or not? Does the mind obey the rules of physics or is it totally unconstrained. Wink the eye in your left knee whenever you like......

What on earth are you on about? The idea of an eye or a knee or winking comes from our physical experience of having eyes, knees etc. Whats your point caller?
    klintock wrote:
    Very odd. Because all you do is recommend books and post crap.

You don't read my posts that carefully do you? And anyway, its not like I'm gonna recommend you meet my clients am I? Confidentiality an' that.
    I've lived in 5 different cities in the UK and known everyone from TV producers and pop stars to street junkies and prostitutes.[ I can tell you that your material circumstances do very much influence the way you see the world.
    klintock wrote:
    I never said it didn't usually, only that it doesn't have to. Grab some reading glasses or something.

No, it does. Quit fantasising about life and get out there and live it.
    klintock wrote:
    I don't just talk, I watch and act too. This is why I hold the views I do to.

You're quite the fantasist aren't you?
    klintock wrote:
    This is mostly true. Except for the bit about "superficial" "short term" and "change back even quicker".

No, they're true.
    klintock wrote:
    If you sort secondary gain out properly stuff sticks well enough.

I like the way you use terms from models that you claim to disagree with. :D
    klintock wrote:
    Internal work can be done very very quickly.

Depends on the problem. Real deep change takes years.
    klintock wrote:
    Changing the other two is vital I quite agree, especally for people whose main problem is their social and material status and i also agree that it takes time for those things to change.

So you do agree with the importance of the material circumstances? Make yer bleedin' mind up.
    klintock wrote:
    Mate, your job is to help those with shit social and material positions, rather obviously you focus on those areas.

People with good material conditions can also have addiction problems too y'know.
    klintock wrote:
    Thing is though, people with good social and material positions also have problems.

No shit sherlock.
    klintock wrote:
    If you don't fix all three they'll wind up back where they started. Again, no argument here.

So you do agree that material conditions are vital? You changed yer tune quickly.
    klintock wrote:
    I normally only have to look at one area, the presenting problem.

Yes and I work with people with complex needs. Mental health, emotional problems, substance misuse problems, lack of basic skills, lack of confidence, lack of interpersonal skills, lack of housing and money etc. The fact that I work with people with complex needs appears to give me more of an insight than you appear to have.

klintock wrote:
    Never said that. I said I can see HOW someone is thinking just by looking at them, I have no idea on content (although sometimes I can guess). that is I can see which internal sense they are using to process information, how they store memories, where how they percieve time and that kind of thing.

Mystical new age NLP bollocks I'm afraid. You're deluding yourself if you think you can tell all that. No one knows any of that stuff, not even cutting edge neuroscientists.
    klintock wrote:
    You'll find most addicts have their time behind them so they don't learn from mistakes.

:lol: More mystical bollocks.
    klintock wrote:
    The first one is dangerous,

You ever a member of TOPY by any chance?
    klintock wrote:
    the second one possible but unethical.

You're deluded.
    klintock wrote:
    Ask the government who has first title to eveything in the "UK". They'll happily tell you they do. Get in touch with the dvla and they'll tell you they have first title on your car, you merely have equitable rights on it.

Utter utter bollocks I'm afraid.
    klintock wrote:
    Oh and it's "HM MAJESTY" the corporation, not brenda, she just waves and tries not to look to bored.

More bollocks.

You really are crazy.
  • Options
    I had an idle thought last night that you were Stewart Home taking the piss. You're not are you?
  • Options
    Hmm you seem to think that observing the world isn't itself an operation of ideas. Weird as.

I'll try to make it simple I guess.

Are your ideas constrained by physical laws, time or what's actually possible?

Yes or no?
    You've lost me. Da Vinci would have got the idea of the helicopter from observing the natural world, from those little helicopter seed things that so fascinate children? Y'know, the real world? Remember that?

What's natures submarine again?
    No, it does. Quit fantasising about life and get out there and live it.

:confused:
    You're quite the fantasist aren't you?

oh god no, mate, I got all my ideas from observing the real world, which my mind is inextricably tied to. :rolleyes:
    I like the way you use terms from models that you claim to disagree with. :D

Secondary gain is accepted by both NLper's and hypnotists. What the fuck are you on about?
    Depends on the problem. Real deep change takes years.

hmmmmm.....nope. People learn phobias in one go sometimes, they can learn other things just as fast.
    So you do agree with the importance of the material circumstances? Make yer bleedin' mind up.

Look, if your problem is that you have poor social and material conditions, then you can either change the material and social conditions or you can change your mind about what is or isn't a problem. Doing the second one isn't advisable because it has actual real effects on your health if you can't afford medice and food, for example. It's still possible.
    Yes and I work with people with complex needs. Mental health, emotional problems, substance misuse problems, lack of basic skills, lack of confidence, lack of interpersonal skills, lack of housing and money etc. The fact that I work with people with complex needs appears to give me more of an insight than you appear to have.

In your area of work, undoubtedly. I am asked to make specific changes for a specific purpose and that's my area of work.
    Mystical new age NLP bollocks I'm afraid. You're deluding yourself if you think you can tell all that. No one knows any of that stuff, not even cutting edge neuroscientists.

Didn't even ask me for any details how I do it. Not very curious are ya, oh dismissive one?
    You ever a member of TOPY by any chance?

Never heard of it.
    You're deluded.

No, quick inductions are very possible, phobia installation is possible, memory lapses are installable. Like I said, not very ethical though.
    You really are crazy.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Hmm you seem to think that observing the world isn't itself an operation of ideas. Weird as.

You seem to think that ideas aren't a product of the world. Even weirder.
    klintock wrote:
    I'll try to make it simple I guess.

Are your ideas constrained by physical laws, time or what's actually possible?

Yes or no?

My ideas can only be based on the world around me. Yes I can imagine flapping my arms and flying to the moon, but so what? That's not an idea its a flight of fancy. One that arises from observing birds flying and observing the moon. Both features of the material world last time I looked.
    klintock wrote:
    What's natures submarine again?

Fish? Whales?

klintock wrote:

oh god no, mate, I got all my ideas from observing the real world, which my mind is inextricably tied to. :rolleyes:

You've observed the Queen going round saying "I own this" have you? :lol:
    klintock wrote:
    Secondary gain is accepted by both NLper's and hypnotists. What the fuck are you on about?

Didn't think you'd know where the concept originates.
    klintock wrote:
    hmmmmm.....nope. People learn phobias in one go sometimes, they can learn other things just as fast.

Not really deep change that is it?
    klintock wrote:
    Look, if your problem is that you have poor social and material conditions, then you can either change the material and social conditions or you can change your mind about what is or isn't a problem. Doing the second one isn't advisable because it has actual real effects on your health if you can't afford medice and food, for example. It's still possible.

In your area of work, undoubtedly. I am asked to make specific changes for a specific purpose and that's my area of work.

Yes, you work in a very limited way with simple problems and never see the follow up. Hence you have a limited understanding.
    klintock wrote:
    Didn't even ask me for any details how I do it. Not very curious are ya, oh dismissive one?

I don't have to ask, its obvious bollocks.
    klintock wrote:
    Never heard of it.

Check 'em out but don't take 'em too seriously.
    http://www.topy.net/
    klintock wrote:
    No, quick inductions are very possible, phobia installation is possible, memory lapses are installable. Like I said, not very ethical though.

This is gibberish.
    klintock wrote:

Your views are gibberish.
  • Options
    My ideas can only be based on the world around me. Yes I can imagine flapping my arms and flying to the moon, but so what? That's not an idea its a flight of fancy. One that arises from observing birds flying and observing the moon. Both features of the material world last time I looked.

You get the "flight of fancy" first, and then you look to the real world to make it happen. This is what I said all along. Idea comes first, then action. Why do you have such a problem with this. Is it because then people are in control, and not so much a product of impersonal forces like "capitalism"?
    You've observed the Queen going round saying "I own this" have you? :lol:

Go ask your local council. They will tell you that half your CT is rent paid to "HM GOVT" which is the thing that owns the "uk". If you really owned your own home no one could tell you what to do with it. It's that simple.
    Not really deep change that is it?

A phobia isn't a deep change? :eek: Never dealt with any have you? :no:
    Yes, you work in a very limited way with simple problems and never see the follow up. Hence you have a limited understanding.

"Simple problems" such as addiction, eating disorders, depression, phobias, IBS, abuse and of course, the current bulge in smokers. Some people stay in contact for a long time, some don't. I know a guy who deals with cancer, body dysmorphia, MPD and all sorts of other heavy duty stuff. I'll freely admit he's much better than I am at it, but the basic methodology is the same.

If anyone is ignorant here, it's you, not me.
    I don't have to ask, its obvious bollocks.

We can find out how you store and process time if you like, no risk with it. Up to you like.
    This is gibberish.

Induction - to put someone in a trance. Can be done in seconds, deepening takes minutes. The same process that I use to "remove" a phobia can be employed in reverse to install one. Very unethical.
    Your views are gibberish.

Well, I guess I'll take the obvious "no" on this. :p
  • Options
    the guy who invented the whole caboodle called telly had what to go on before he had the idea of transmitting moving images from one place to another ...through thin air and brick walls?

how about the roughly six thousand years of recorded jistory ...mothing much changes for generation after generation after ...for thousands of years then boom!
    where did all the ideas come from ...steam powerd travel at a hundred miles an hour ...radio flight etc etc.
    were those ideas based on very much that came before?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    You get the "flight of fancy" first, and then you look to the real world to make it happen. This is what I said all along. Idea comes first, then action.

You're not reading what I write. Idea comes from the material world. Ideas are not seperate from the world, they arise from it and are part of it.
    klintock wrote:
    Why do you have such a problem with this. Is it because then people are in control, and not so much a product of impersonal forces like "capitalism"?

I have a problem with it because its mystical bollocks.
    klintock wrote:
    Go ask your local council. They will tell you that half your CT is rent paid to "HM GOVT" which is the thing that owns the "uk". If you really owned your own home no one could tell you what to do with it. It's that simple.

Simply not true klintock.
    klintock wrote:
    A phobia isn't a deep change? :eek: Never dealt with any have you? :no:

No, its not deep change. Its something that can be dealt with by CBT usually quite easily.
    klintock wrote:
    "Simple problems" such as addiction eating disorders, depression, phobias, IBS, abuse and of course, the current bulge in smokers. Some people stay in contact for a long time, some don't. I know a guy who deals with cancer, body dysmorphia, MPD and all sorts of other heavy duty stuff. I'll freely admit he's much better than I am at it, but the basic methodology is the same.

Now I know you're talking bollocks. I work in addiction, my partner works in eating disorders. You're making stuff up.
    klintock wrote:
    If anyone is ignorant here, it's you, not me.

No, its my job to know about these things. You're a charlatan and a fraud klintock, especially if you think that cancer can be treated by hypnosis. Show me some peer reviewed evidence please.

klintock wrote:
    We can find out how you store and process time if you like, no risk with it. Up to you like.

I actually think you're deluded. Every time we get into a protracted debate, you come up with mystical delusions like this.
    klintock wrote:
    Induction - to put someone in a trance. Can be done in seconds, deepening takes minutes. The same process that I use to "remove" a phobia can be employed in reverse to install one. Very unethical.

More delusional bollocks.
    klintock wrote:
    Well, I guess I'll take the obvious "no" on this. :p

• Options
    the guy who invented the whole caboodle called telly had what to go on before he had the idea of transmitting moving images from one place to another ...through thin air and brick walls?

Well we had cinema, we had magic lanterns and projections. We also had radio and before that the telegraph. Before that we had magnetism (a natural property of some materials) which gives us the clue that action at a distance might be possible.
    how about the roughly six thousand years of recorded jistory ...mothing much changes for generation after generation after ...for thousands of years then boom!

Not strictly true m r. Go to Egypt sometime.
    where did all the ideas come from ...steam powerd travel at a hundred miles an hour ...radio flight etc etc.
    were those ideas based on very much that came before?

Steam powered travel never went at hundreds of miles an hour. I've dealt with radio and flight. The point is that all of these developments relied on the industrial revolution, the political changes brought about by the civil war, the land enclosures act etc.
  • Options
    You're not reading what I write. Idea comes from the material world. Ideas are not seperate from the world, they arise from it and are part of it

Your not paying attention, nor have you read much fiction by the loos of it. There is no inextricable link between the two. Useful ideas will be connected to the real world, but you can build idea on idea on idea with no refernce to reality at all.
    I have a problem with it because its mystical bollocks

:lol:
    No, its not deep change. Its something that can be dealt with by CBT usually quite easily.

>pinches nose< Wrong way around. You said that acquiring a phobia wouldn't lead to a deep change in your life. like being housebound and shaking like a leaf by your front door isn't much to worry about. CBT is fun, but I prefer my way cos it's quicker.
    Simply not true klintock.

Well, as I go and ask people and you just stick you fingers in your ears and go "la la la" I'll stick with what I know.
    Now I know you're talking bollocks. I work in addiction, my partner works in eating disorders. You're making stuff up.

Hypnosis was the first treatment for those things. The egyptians used it long before Freud, Esdaille, Erickson etc You really should learn about stuff mate, go read some more books. :wave:
    No, its my job to know about these things. You're a charlatan and a fraud klintock, especially if you think that cancer can be treated by hypnosis. Show me some peer reviewed evidence please.

The cancer itself can't, the patient with cancer can. Hypnosis is very good at pain management, stress minimisation, maintaining belief in recovery and so on. If you don't think those things are of benefit your out of your fucking gourd.

http://jncicancerspectrum.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/jnci;93/11/810

Oh and peer review is intself a pretty worthless thing. All it says is sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. Can you find me a peer review of some of the more invasive, last ditch procedures while we are on the subject?
    I actually think you're deluded. Every time we get into a protracted debate, you come up with mystical delusions like this.

Are you gonna have a go or what?
    More delusional bollocks.

You really don't know much, do you?
  • Options
    Klintock, you're seriously fucked in the head if you believe all the crap you come out with. I'm not carrying on with this debate.
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    I did come to the conclusion a while ago that debating with someone who is suffering from mental delusions is pointless.
  • Options
    I did come to the conclusion a while ago that debating with someone who is suffering from mental delusions is pointless.

And yet, you still go to work every day.