Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Guitars???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay Help! My boyfriend has recently took to the idea of guitar lessons so i figured it would be an idea to get him one for his birthday............ heres the catch, i have no clue how much they cost and what type of guitar i would get for him, are there guitars for beginners, i just thought i would post on here first as i will probably get bumped in the shop!

Any guitar players on here with some tips??

Many thanks

xx

Comments

• Options
    Depends whether you think he'd like to try acoustic guitar or electric.

There are starter packs out there, what's your budget?

Edit; just some examples of starter packs:

Acoustic Starter Pack
    Electric Starter Pack (Cheaper one, not sure why)
  • Options
    to be honest, i think you would be better off going to a music shop because the assistants there are used to these kinds of queries and will be able to help you a lot better
  • Options
    my gf bought me mine for xmas, think it was about a hundred quid - that came with a years worth of lessons and theyre not half bad :thumb:
    I posted the name of the pack in another guitar thread so if you're interested do a search...
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote:
    to be honest, i think you would be better off going to a music shop because the assistants there are used to these kinds of queries and will be able to help you a lot better

It's still probably a good idea to do a bit of fact-hunting first, so they can't just encourage you to buy any old rubbish?
  • Options
    Loads of good started guitars out there.
    I recommend this.
  • Options
    In any reputable music shop they would never encourage anyone to buy any old kind of rubbish. A lot of people working in such places are really passionate about music and give excellent advice (even to the point where they'd recommend something less flashy/expensive, because they think it'd be a better choice for you), at least that's my personal experience.

As for acoustic/electric. I'd personally recommend an acoustic guitar to any beginner, but others would probably disagree completely.

Oh, and you're a lovely girlfriend. ;) :thumb:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    As for acoustic/electric. I'd personally recommend an acoustic guitar to any beginner, but others would probably disagree completely.

I agree, learning chords etc take loads of practise and I think its much easier to sit and strum an acoustic all day, not to mention being able to take it anywhere. Hey...he might even be good enough to play for you at a romantic picnic by the summer! Ahhhh I wish I had a boyfriend :crying:
  • Options
    Loads of good started guitars out there.
    I recommend this.
    :lol:

Lucky boyfriend if she got him one of those!
  • Options
    i've been thinking of learning for awhile now, i always wanted to learn the bass when i was younger. I've looked around the net and local shops for starter sets. Today i when to Nevada music here in portsmouth. and brought myself a Fender Acoustic starter set (£89.99), came with guitar, electronic tune, strap, plecs, spare strings and a DVD to help you get started with lessons.

I'm going to learn on this for a bit and then go get that bass. Thought i'd got acoustic first just to see if i can play before i go out and spend lots of money on a nice bass.

By the sounds of it lot of ppl starting up at the moment.
  • Options
    quick question does anyone know any good websites, that can be used to teach the basics too, ie learn the chords etc..., info on tuning
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    quick question does anyone know any good websites, that can be used to teach the basics too, ie learn the chords etc..., info on tuning
    Off the top of my head, here's one: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/
  • Options
    cheers i'll check that out tomorrow off to bed now. nite all
  • Options
    schecter :p
  • Options
    Rich-E wrote:
    :lol:

Lucky boyfriend if she got him one of those!

Oh yeah. '59 reissue baby.

muse- wrote:
    schecter

You emo kid. Schecter are perhaps the gayest looking guitars EVER. For me it's Gibson all the way.
  • Options
    For me it's Gibson all the way.
    :thumb:

If I couldn't have an LP though, PRS have some pretty tasty guitars. Failing that, a Maton or an Ovation Ultra GP (really old LP copy they did in the 80's).
  • Options
    Oh yeah. '59 reissue baby.

You emo kid. Schecter are perhaps the gayest looking guitars EVER. For me it's Gibson all the way.

really?

if was was going purely on looks id get an ESP, gibson would be very near the bottom of the list... they look like theyve just been crafted at a country music fest in texas :/
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    really?

if was was going purely on looks id get an ESP, gibson would be very near the bottom of the list... they look like theyve just been crafted at a country music fest in texas :/

Not far off - they're all built in Nashville, Tennessee. Depends what you're into I guess but they are the best guitars I've ever played. The neck speed is only beaten by Ibanez but you have to spend a hell of a lot of money to get a decent Ibanez.

I defy anyone to say that they don't look cool. Especially when Slash plays one.

slash.jpg
  • Options
    Ok i know i'm going to sound really really stupid and newbish with this question but i'm abit confused atm.

Just been reading some of the stuff on that link Rich-E posted (thanks btw), so heres why i'm confused. I remember years ago someone telling me that i'f your right-handed you hold the guitar so the fretboard is in your left hand. But reading some of those posts its saying that the thickest string should be at the bottom which would mean that fretboard is in my right-hand. Unless the bottom is excualty the top (so its the bottom if your looking down while holding it).

As i said sorry to sound stupid. Think this may take me a long time to learn lol.
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    Ok i know i'm going to sound really really stupid and newbish with this question but i'm abit confused atm.

Just been reading some of the stuff on that link Rich-E posted (thanks btw), so heres why i'm confused. I remember years ago someone telling me that i'f your right-handed you hold the guitar so the fretboard is in your left hand. But reading some of those posts its saying that the thickest string should be at the bottom which would mean that fretboard is in my right-hand. Unless the bottom is excualty the top (so its the bottom if your looking down while holding it).

As i said sorry to sound stupid. Think this may take me a long time to learn lol.
    Yep, right handed means fretboard in left hand with the thickest string at the top. If you're looking at tabs though, the thickest string is at the bottom though, like so:
    e------------------------------
    B---3----6---------------------
    G--------------7---------------
    D--------------------6---------
    A--------------------------0---
    E------------------------------

Is that what you mean?
  • Options
    Yeah thats what i thought, just getting really confused today, not that its that hard to confuse me. think i'm having a blonde day (as gf would say) lol.
    And the numbers on the tabs indercate the placement when you hold down teh string on the fretboard.
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    Yeah thats what i thought, just getting really confused today, not that its that hard to confuse me. think i'm having a blonde day (as gf would say) lol.
    And the numbers on the tabs indercate the placement when you hold down teh string on the fretboard.

yeah... 1 = the fret at the very top of the neck (if the guitar was standing upright) and so on....

PS: yeah gibsons probly are amazing to play... I haven't had much experience playing guitars, I don't really know much about them ...I just stick to bass for now really, but i don't like how they look generally :P (even if slash does make them look cool :d)
  • Options
    Hey guys!

Thank you all so much for your replies!

I think i will most definitately go for the acoustic one, oh i know he is just going to love it!

Yeah that will be nice, him playing for me! i like to sing so who knows give us a couple of years and we might be in the charts lol! yeah right and i just saw the biggest pig flying outside my office window! he he

Yeah i think that if i go into a good guitar shop i am sure they will be very helpful!

xx