Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

financial implications

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i am a full time student atm. but i've been going through a rather tough time emotionally, and i've been thinking about changing from being a full time student to part time to help me cope better with my studies. but i was wondering if anybody knew what the financial implications of that would be?! would i still be entitled to a student loan, and what about fees?, etc?...
i've still got to talk to someone about it at uni, but before i try that; does anyone know whether it would be possible to change full > part time this late in the acedemic year?
thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry to hear you've been emotionally having it tough recently.

I'm not absolutely certain on this. You may be able to switch over, but you'd have to ask to check - nothing to lose by asking here. As for loans and fees, again, you'd best ask them. I think loan entitlements are smaller for part-time students, but they take into account other factors, as I understand it, too. The university itself could tell you about fees. Where did you get the loan - Student Finance Company? (can't remember what it's called) They can tell you.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Otter,
    Again, sorry to hear you're having a hard time of it.
    It would be best to ask a tutor/head of department about whether or not you can change to part-time, as it probably differs from one uni to the next.

You are definitely entitled to some financial support as a part-time student. Here's some specific information related to this from the Student Loans company website.

Take care ;)
    **Helen** wrote:
    You are definitely entitled to some financial support as a part-time student. Here's some specific information related to this from the Student Loans company website.
    I hate to be a bugbear about this, but these sites are of such limited use. For instance, when I try to use the Student Finance Wales website, (that Student Loans refers me to) half the pages aren't even online yet! How do they expect students to have the money they need when these people can't even be arsed to publish all the information? :banghead:
    but isnt there a phone number for peopl to ring? obviously it would be much easier and quikcer if the websites did work properly, but there are other ways too. i know when i wanted to find some things out about loans, the website wasnt that good so i had to phone instead. but to be honest, id rather do that and actually talk to someone that just read it on the net.

ETA - otter, im not sure in your case but when i switched unis and courses i just had to fill in a form showing my change in circumstances and send it back to them along with a reference from my unis supporting this.