Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Noise Pollution

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Anyone got any stories of confrontations or about people being chucked out because of excessively loud music? Any of your flatmates a complete pain in the arse music wise? Or are you one of the people who plays it how it should be played and do you get away with it?

How tolerated is it at your Uni or in your accommodation?

Only reason I ask is that I'm off to Uni in September to take up deferred entry in Sheffield and I'll be taking a rather powerful soundsystem, I like it loud. However, I do realise that some people don't.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    In my halls in first year it was widely tolerated and I had a flatmate who used to blare his music with the door propped open at all hours, even when he was out. To be honest, it didn't bother me enough to even complain to him as we're mates, but it really upset some of our other flatmates who complained once or twice to the warden and were largely ignored.

I've never heard of anyone being chucked out because of it, the only action I know of was that the people who couldn't bear living in that environment anymore were eventually moved into other flats and buildings (once people started to drop out, maybe November-time). If I remember rightly some people on here have quite extreme stories, I think it can really get people down.

As far as you're concerned, I think as long as you're respectful then you should be fine. You never know, your new flatmates might have even more powerful soundsystems and you'll be battling for airwaves. ;) You'll find out how loud/late you can push it, only when you meet your flatmates, but as a general rule of thumb I'd say keep it down on weekday nights and during exam times.

Oh, if it's Zimmy you're blasting from the speakers then ignore all my previous rambling and turn it up a bit more. :thumb:
  • Options
    yeah, as long as your respectful it should be totally fine. just dont play your music too loudly too late at night and if someone asks you to turn it down, then do it if it's a reasonable request. when i lived in halls SO many people blasted their music so loudly at all hours of the day. most people were fine with it and if we werent we just went and asked for it to be turned down a bit and people did. never had to get the wardens involved.

however, im sure there will have been occassions somewhere down the line of people getting chucked out for playing music too loudly but id have thought that would have to be very excessive.