Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

MPs give go-ahead for ban on 'glorification of terrorism'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4714578.stm

Am I alone in thinking we need to make our minds up re freedom of speech?

Either there is a limit to what can be said or there is not. But we seem to be very selective, depending on the subject.

If publishing cartoons highly offensive to Islam and portrying its prophet as a bomb-carrying terrorist should be allowed, then surely glorying terrorism also should?

And even if it weren't, which acts of terrorism would those be, exactly? Can I expect a newspaper columnist gloating over US pilots carpet bombing Iraqis to be prosecuted, or does it only apply to Muslims speaking of 7/7? :rolleyes:

What a load of bollocks...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter - I don't like the use of force to achieve political goals but sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do - Look at the old Russian-Chetchnia conflict, considering how barbaric the Russians were, were the parisans terrorists? I think not.

I think the message 'Take up arms to preserve your way of life and to protect your love ones' is perfectly honourable - but the MPs would probally try to ban this.
  • Options
    Thin end of the wedge.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    No more Chilren wearing Che t-shirt whilst not knowing who he is can't be a bad thing. After all... he were a terrorist. If they boguht a shirt anyway, they have no idea what he stood for.

Now, let me be the first to get arrested: "Vive La Revolucion Cubana!"
  • Options
    If we start with the 7/7 apologists then I'll be delighted. If they love the Middle East so much, they can fuck off back there.

And then move on through those who defend the IRA, and finish with anyone who voted for Blair in the last election.
  • Options
    Both should be legal...

If you want to run around saying how brilliant the IRA are - you should be allowed. Though I'm not going to cry if you then run under a double decker bus.

If you raise money for them or try to recruit people for them you're in a different game and can be dealt with under existing laws - Hook was charged under a law dating from 1861.
  • Options
    Since the ‘glorification of terrorism’ in many cases would almost inevitably translate to inciting racial hatred and inciting murder I fail to see the need for this new legislation – indeed, in the case of Abu Hamza the most famous individual to glorify terrorism inciting racial hatred and murder were among the two charges he was found guilty of.
  • Options
    More bollocks from the cunts in government.
  • Options
    Look at the old Russian-Chetchnia conflict, considering how barbaric the Russians were, were the parisans terrorists? I think not.

And the Chechens have show themselves well. Beslan, anyone?
  • Options
    tories and libdems united against Labour. good.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Thin end of the wedge.

Too fucking true. This, along with the ID debate yesterday and a ton of earlier legislation...

This is Blair's Britain now, hippies. We're all wearing jackboots.
  • Options
    Ok, i am confused...how come in past posts i have got the impression alot of people (not all obviously) are cool with Palestinians commiting acts of terror and killing innocents and using those actions to glorify their cause and are "freedom fighters" to alot of you, yet muslims who commit acts of terror and glorify them anywhere else are to be censored?

Why is ok for one group but not others?
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Ok, i am confused...how come in past posts i have got the impression alot of people (not all obviously) are cool with Palestinians commiting acts of terror and killing innocents and using those actions to glorify their cause and are "freedom fighters" to alot of you, yet muslims who commit acts of terror and glorify them anywhere else are to be censored?

Why is ok for one group but not others?

Perhaps because Irsrael is doing exactally the same. But with tanks and Helicopters, and has been Illegally occupying their country for ages?

And yet, the USA is Attacked on 9/11 for no particular reason except hatred. I admit, the wars they have started thereafter haven't helped in any way at all. But the initial attack was unprovoked.
  • Options
    It is all still Glorification of death and violence and murder of children and innocents and so forth. Israel does it and Palestine does it, so why allow it to be heroic by one and evil by the others when in actual fact they are both evil!

I dislike the notions a lot. At least when im a hypocrit i admit i am one because i do it on purpose.

Like with Africa, no one talks about the wars in Africa or cares about it or metions it, but bring it up and suddenly everone is deeply concerned. Just as America hasnt invaded to get oil, no one talks about it. All people do is complain no one does anything, then if a country did intervene suddenly it would be seen as Empire building!

(sorry about the examples, was watching an old ER episode earlier)
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    All people do is complain no one does anything, then if a country did intervene suddenly it would be seen as Empire building!

Because none of the shister countries that take action do so outof kindness, mate. Something you'll learn about Politics: All the countries who have the power to take action have greedy cuntish leaders.
  • Options
    This government needs to be removed.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Except no-one will do it.
  • Options
    This is mildly better than the first version of this bill which actually included 'explaining' terrorism.

We are in a Police State, they just havent used the laws yet.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

they get these powers saying they'll only be used to get the 'evil' people, they just keep shifting what 'evil' means until it means all government opponents
  • Options

:yes:

No doubt there will be another "terrorist incident" or two to kick off that proces.

Scary, scary shit.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Shhh... you'll be put under house arrest.

Really... it's true. The media has dumbed the general public down so much they don't care... Hollywood keeps us safe with films that assure us the west is right... and the Government centralises it's power.

Revolution is needed. But no-one will do anything. We'll moan until it's too late.
  • Options
    I say, i need an army, i would lead a coup d' etat and seize power, then impose sweeping changed to the country...only when i felt the country was ready would i relinquish my power...so never, HAHAHA! That what we need.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I say, i need an army, i would lead a coup d' etat and seize power, then impose sweeping changed to the country...only when i felt the country was ready would i relinquish my power...so never, HAHAHA! That what we need.
    Feck off. It was my idea first. I already have plans laid anyway.

If you co-oppperate, I could probably offer you a position in my government, eh? Sound good? You get a free Jag, I daresay I could give you one of Prescott's. :thumb:
  • Options
    Give me job as head of the department for Homeland Security...and we can deal! ;)
  • Options
    With apologies to the BBC reporter;

Tony Blair's controversial plan for a new law to stop politicians from "glorifying" in their attempts to prevent terrorism, has been defeated by MPs. The House of Lords voted last month in favour of the proposal, but the Commons has now voted by 315 to 277 against the plan.

Mr Blair said after the vote, "I am delighted that MPs have shown a signal of strength today in voting against my proposals. After all, I did it on Tuesday myself. I will now be able to continue using terrorism as a political tool forever more. I will now be able also to continue lying through my teeth about the reasons we need ID cards. Now then, I'm going to celebrate with a cigarette."
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Give me job as head of the department for Homeland Security...and we can deal! ;)

For something that high up... ah well. You can have it, not like half the others who've had it knew what they were doing. :thumb:
  • Options
    The fear seems to be that 'glorification' is too vague a term, and that it would be abused. I think Eddie Mair showed the way, though. After the vote, he referred ironically in a following item to defence of Gitmo abuses as 'glorification of torture'. If every positive spin of New Labour policy was described as 'glorification', it might shame the government into using the law sensibly.
  • Options
    Does that mean we can't talk about Nelson Mandella?
  • Options
    Does that mean we can't talk about Nelson Mandella?

He wasnt really a terrorist, he didnt wear a turban.
  • Options
    Exactly. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, and viceversa.

Who's to decide on that and who has broken the law?

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in seeing the actions of the US in Iraq as an act of terrorism. Can I look forward to the likes of Nick Cohen and Mark Steyn to be prosecuted under the new law?

No, I thought not.

Don't even dream of mentioning Hamas though... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Muslims don't wear turbans, the traditional head covering is called a Kufi (aka Tagiyah in Saudi Arabia) over this some may opt to wear the traiditonal scarf (Ghutra) as well.

The turban is worn by Sikhs, another religion entirely.