Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Books you read as young teens

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What were some of your favoite books as a youngster? Not Curious George, Dr. Seuse and that, but older reading.

I (of course since I'm a girl) read all the Babysitters Club. I totally had the gold special edition book that came with the necklace too :thumb:
And of course Goosebumps. God how I loved those books
And one we had to read in school, I loved for some reason, it was a weird one, The Givers.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I used to love the Babysitters Club too...as well as Point Horror :lol:
  • Options
    I read some of The Babysitters Club!
    And Point Horror books, I bought one a while back to recatch the days but havent got round to reading it yet.
  • Options
    I remember reading one book when i was about 10 or 11 called Forever by Judy Blume, and i swear it's the perviest thing, i was just like argh! keep reading keep reading :p
  • Options
    Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High, Sweet Valley University (the university ones so being the best of them). When I was about 11 that was.

Paula Danziger stuff when I was about 11 as well (like Thames doesn't Rhyme with James, Amber Brown is not a Crayon, The Divorce Express, This Place has no Atmosphere etc).

When I was at secondary school I generally only read the stuff they made me and not too much else. At least not literature stuff. I would read things like "The Five Biggest Ideas In Science" (a great book- still on my bookshelf now) and other non-fiction things.

Also when I was about 11 I read the Adrian Mole books and the Teenage Worrier books.
  • Options
    I read everything Jaqueline Wilson ever wrote in my very early teens. :p Aswell as Louise Rennison books (which i still read..), The Princess diaries, Harry Potter, Puppy patrol, Goosebumps, Horrible histories, Adrian Mole.. Lots of other random books like Anne Frank, Stig of the dump, Forvever and Little Women too.. I read ALOT.
  • Options
    Judy Blume :thumb:
    OMG i was in LOVE with her books. Read every one i could get my hands on, and I remember when me and my cousin discovered `forever` it was soooo rude. We thought we were so cool to have read it - that book passed hands I dont know how many times.
  • Options
    Was Judy Blume the one that wrote the Romona books? I read those too, as bad as they were :p
  • Options
    Clive Cussler's books - all of them. :) I need a new one though, as the book I'm currently reading is boring and too factual. I only read it because I am endeavored to learn more about the Swedish secret service, called SÄPO.

God, I don't know if I can be any more bored than this.
  • Options
    jaqueline wilson books
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High, Sweet Valley University (the university ones so being the best of them). When I was about 11 that was.

I'm with you on this, I was all about Sweet Valley anything when I was pre-teen/early teens. I remember being scandalised when a breast was touched in one of the Sweet Valley High books. :o

I freaking loved the Teenage Worrier books too, ah good times...

I think the majority of my reading in my early teens (and before that) probably wasn't too age appropriate, but those are definitely the ones that stick in my mind.
  • Options
    wow! all my old faves are here.. point horror, sweet valley (did anyone have the four horror sweet valley teens specials? I DID!) and of course judy blume. my sister got me "are you there god? it's me margaret" for my eleventh birthday. I read them all, Deenie, the Fudge series, right through to Forever (cheese-fest!)
  • Options
    I used to love Judy Blume too...read them all. My fave was "Are you there God it's me Margaret?" ("i must, i must, i must increase my bust!!"...never worked for me :no: ) I couldn't believe it when i read Forever either...to think that was aimed at teens!...loved it though ;)
  • Options
    Point Horror. Judy Blume. The His Dark Materials trilogy (Phillip Pullman - though I waited years for the second and third books). Lord of the Rings. Adrian Mole.
  • Options
    Jaqueline Wilson, Sweet Valley, Point Horror (oh, I'm cool).

Lots of them I'd still read now if I got the chance. Yes, I'm sad.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The same stuff I read now... Fiction books. Usually Action. Meh, nevre bothered with much other stuff apart from Kids books for pre-teens.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Mostly goosebumps and "the three investigators" or something. Not sure what the series was called, but their names were Jupiter, Pete and Bob and they were friends with Alfred Hitchcock. I loved those.
  • Options
    I read books like Goosebumps and Point Horror... can't remember any others :p

Ilora x
  • Options
    Louise Rennison (sooooo funny), certain fantasy trilogies (though never ones that got too serious), Beyond The Deep Woods by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddle was a fave.. read a couple of Adrian Moles.. Harry Potter.. there was a set for boys mainly full of short gross stories I liked. I think they had one-word titles like 'YUCKK!' or 'SQUELCH!' etc.

Always hated Jaqueline Wilson - the characters were always either sappy or really boisterous and thought they were incredibly funny. And I hated the bits where they made up retarded fantasies in their head about being the prime minister etc etc. And always far too P.C. My friends loved them :(
  • Options
    I started on goosebumps...but those got boring after a couple of months. Then went onto point horror and point fantasy, they were much better! Although I was always jealous of the guys getting laid in those stories :(

Then I moved onto some other random things that my dad suggested to me (he has good taste in books), such as Adrian Mole, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, anything by Terry Pratchett (discworld, truckers, Good Omens - love it!), various bits and bobs. Good Omens was good, I was reading that when I was 12 at school and wanting to be the antichrist :D
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    Louise Rennison (sooooo funny)

Best teenage books ever written. Actually, they're amongst my favourite books ever!

NICE TOSSER.
  • Options
    sweet valley twins, high, uni ect, point horror, the saddle club, jinny, nightmares
  • Options
    Dickens, Shakespeare, Milton, Lee, Maupassant

I didn't have what you'd call a 'normal' adolescence.
  • Options
    Judy Blume (I love Fudge :heart: ), Jacqueline Wilson, Roald Dahl, Enid Bylton, Horrible Histories by err..Terry Deary hehe..Goosebumps
  • Options
    Best teenage books ever written. Actually, they're amongst my favourite books ever!

NICE TOSSER.

My cat George is exactly like Angus but doesn't get the call of the Scottish wildcat.
  • Options
    I have the whole Louise Rennison/Georgia Nicholson collection... I love her, she's ace :thumb:

Beth x
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    I remember reading one book when i was about 10 or 11 called Forever by Judy Blume, and i swear it's the perviest thing, i was just like argh! keep reading keep reading :p
    Is that the one with the penis called Ralph?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Is that the one with the penis called Ralph?

:lol: yes.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    point horror, sweet valley high, jaqueline wilsons collection, and adrian mole!
  • Options
    i used to LOVE sweet valley. although there were a few weird ones i really didnt get too. and yeah, judy blume too.
  • Options
    pinkvans wrote:
    (did anyone have the four horror sweet valley teens specials? I DID!)

Ooh I think I had one... an american werewolf in london or something like that?

[EDIT] Louise Renisson! :heart: I used to acutally cry with laughter at those... I think theres a couple I haven't read now though... *goes to find out*

[DOUBLE EDIT] Oh for goodness sake, why can't there just a be normal LIST.... Amazons no help, its got all the american versions and they've all got stupid names... I have found out theres one coming out this year though :D July I think it said.