Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I want a job in the u.s.a

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good luck with that.

Why do you want a job in the U.S.A? Like in walkindude's thread, problems don't disappear when you travel. Sure, it's a nice place though. I enjoyed my visit there.
    Unless you have a good skill you'll get paid piss all, minimum wage is only $5.15.
    i am up for that i am going down to the u.s immigration soon in london see if they can help me.
    you'll probably really struggle unless you go as a working tourist or a student..

for permanant citizinship they'll take into account, Age, education, skills, work career, family etc...

a very young single male is not gonna get in.

they used to do a green card lottery but im not sure if UK citizins count or if they still do it.
    koe_182 wrote:
    they used to do a green card lottery but im not sure if UK citizins count or if they still do it.

They still do it, but I dont know whether UK people can enter;

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=green+card+lottery&meta=
    My friends parents want to move to the states and its really hard to get in - even if your qualified and rich like they are.

If you cant' do the green card thing then your best bet is to marry an american (actually you've probably got a higher chance of getting in by that methord).

Otherwise the 2 options my friends parents have been exploring is either: applying for this visa which means you are an exceptional person - ie an actress, movie star, famous writer, or stupdily rich or have a PHD in something that is pertinant to the US economy.

Or you can invest in a business in the US - which you would then have to stay working in for the entire time you want to remain in the US. The minimum investment currently is $500,000 in a deprived area or $1 Million in a normal neighbourhood.

However your young and stuff and if you go to university then you can probably apply to do an internship for a few months one summer (you wont' get paid for it) which means you'll have the experience of working in the states and also get some good work experience as well - you won't be there forever but it could be quite fun.
    that all sucks !
    I don't know why you would want to go there anyway its not like the standard of living is particually great and in general people are a lot more conservative than they are in Europe.

If you don't want to stay in the UK how about luxemborg, Sweden, Ireland, Belgium, The Netherlands, Finland or Denmark - who all have higher standards of living than the UK and are in the European Union which means you should be able to move thier much more easily.
    i just like the u.s.a more i dont know why .
    I'm moving to the USA in the summer, and if you really want to go for paid work, you will need the correct visa- in your case probably an H1-B or 2B visa, and these are not that easy to come by. Before you can apply for one, you must have an official job offer, then you will have to get a lawyer to apply for the visa on your behalf.

What they don't tell you is that they only release the visa's on the 1st of April every year, and in each class of visa, they only release a set amount, which are usually gone by August, so if you apply too late, you have to wait until the next April before you can apply again!

Also- you need to make sure that the job you get is appropriate for the class of visa that you fall into ie, if you are a graduate you will need to get a graduate level position, as they will not let you into the country on another type of visa- so it means you can't just get any job.

...And even once all that is taken care of- due to the way the American financial year works- you are cannot legally start work in the country until the 1st of October!!!!!

...if you can prove that you can support yourself they will let you into the country on a 6 month tourist visa, but it means you can't work; failing that you can stay in the country under the visa-waiver scheme for 90 days.

.....a bit long winded, but I hope it helps
    rss3000 wrote:
    i just like the u.s.a more i dont know why .
    Canada is easier to get into and not *that* different if you just want a change of scenery.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Canada is easier to get into and not *that* different if you just want a change of scenery.

It is different, a lot better.
    wow

getting into america is so wack. I wanted to go there a few times.

gues I'll have to get famous or something. Tho being australian I think I can get green card lottery.

Canada is good but its cold!! You wanna get away from that I think.
    i actually preffered Canada too, there are plenty of nice places within touching distance of the states. Toronto aint too far from NYC.

Also i visited Windsor, Ontario, Canada's southern most city, bout 5mins drive from Detroit (shithold btw) but there are nice places close by.
    bongbudda wrote:
    It is different, a lot better.
    But not *that* different in my experience.

ETA: My Canadian relatives would disagree with me I bet.
    Walkindude wrote:
    wow

getting into america is so wack. I wanted to go there a few times.

gues I'll have to get famous or something. Tho being australian I think I can get green card lottery.

Canada is good but its cold!! You wanna get away from that I think.
    Not all of Canada is cold and parts of it get very hot. In Toronto for example the Winters are about minus 30oC but the summers are in the fourties and are typically way hotter than the UK summer.
    Canada doesn't have whack drinking laws, so go there :thumb:
    i have been in and out of canada ever since i have been 5 so i see canada as cool but not as different as the usa.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    But not *that* different in my experience.

ETA: My Canadian relatives would disagree with me I bet.

No, its not drasticly different, they are just more reasonable and are generally a bit more European and nice.
    I learnt last night that the so called "Green cards" are actually blue.
    Canada eh??

hmm, minus 30 winters sound terrible but nice hot times and good people sound cool.

maybe I can met avril lavigne and she will fall in love with me...
    i wanna meet her to hehe
    Canada isn't that cold. Its the windchill that gets ya! Most places are no colder than Minnesota and I've made it :p
    I have seen snow drifts in Canada that ae larger then houses!!!

That has to be cold.
    Walkindude wrote:
    I have seen snow drifts in Canada that ae larger then houses!!!

That has to be cold.

Canada is quite a large country, if you are near the US border (which virtually all Canadians are) then it doesnt get drasticly cold, colder than here certainly, but not Siberia type cold.