Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Updating you CV

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am updating my CV. It has my name and contact details at the top and then the following headings: Profile, Qualifications, Experience, Personal Details, Interests, Referees. It's really boring though- I'm going to make the Profile setion stand out a bit more with bullet points of my greatness, hopefully that'll help- few tips though please. What's your CV look like and how have you made yours stand out?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well i nicked my sisters and changed the details, she used to work basically approving or rejecting people based on their CV's so i'd imagine hers is pretty good. So thats how i miade mine stand out.
    I work in a retail store and we always get people bringing in their CVs, most of them look like shit tbh - poorly layed out and poorly written. If you go down to an agency and sign up they will be able to give you tips on good CV writing!
    Oh and a little tip, when giving your CV to places, make sure it is not folded and free from any tears or creases. Might sound obvious but you would be suprised at the state some people hand theirs to potential employers in.
    Good tips thank you. I'll be posting mine, must remember to not fold a million times to fit into dogeared yellowing envelopes!
    To be honest, keeping things simple is the best way of having a CV. Mine is split into similar sort of sections, with bullet-points and short sentences, and with each job role I've had clearly set out, and I've always had success with mine. And so has the civil servant I nicked the layout off.

If you get too fancy then it puts people off. And don't ever ever ever put a photograph on it. I'm temping in HR, and we always have a good chuckle in the office at the middle-aged men who've put mugshots on their CVs.
    Why do people do it? Is it because they're so shexchy and their face will get them the job?
    Short and to the point(less). Gets me interviews, and the interview does the rest.
    Kermit wrote:
    To be honest, keeping things simple is the best way of having a CV. Mine is split into similar sort of sections, with bullet-points and short sentences, and with each job role I've had clearly set out, and I've always had success with mine. And so has the civil servant I nicked the layout off.

If you get too fancy then it puts people off. And don't ever ever ever put a photograph on it. I'm temping in HR, and we always have a good chuckle in the office at the middle-aged men who've put mugshots on their CVs.

So basically keep it short and simple, don't write pages and pages?

Going slightly OT, but if I was to pass a GNVQ, would I put on my CV that it was a Pass or would I put down the grade (C) ?
    katralla wrote:
    Why do people do it? Is it because they're so shexchy and their face will get them the job?
    My mother said that if you are applying for an internal vacancy in a big company then it can be a good idea if it is possible the person receiveing your application may know your face or remember you from the photo but not actually know your name.

Other than that, unless you are applying for a job where looks is especially important, it is a stupid thing to do.

I think along time ago (80's/ early 90's) it was the "standard" thing to do which I why I think a few out-of-date people still do it.
    So basically keep it short and simple, don't write pages and pages?

A CV ideally shouldn't be more than two sides of A4 in length, typed in 12 point. And not using a stupid font like comic either.
    Going slightly OT, but if I was to pass a GNVQ, would I put on my CV that it was a Pass or would I put down the grade (C) ?

You'd put the grade.
    Kermit wrote:

I've just written 45 rejection letters to people applying for the job I'm just about to leave, so I've had fun reading all of the CVs and browsing the mugshots!

Slightly off topic, but.. Covering letters - why do so so so many people put "Dear Sir.." and "Yours sincerely"?!?! The two don't go together! As soon as I see that my optimism for the applicant being right for the job plunders!

If you're applying for an admin post or one that is going to require you to write letters out to clients, for God's sake think about the presentation of your covering letter - it's a reflection on your standards and also how you'll send letters out to your potential new employers clients. Some of the ones I've seen today are horrendous!

Oh, how I'm going to enjoy my new job in HR! :chin:
    i think ive always been told it's sir and sincerely.... im sure thats what i usually put!
    It's either "Dear Sir and Yours faithfully" or "Dear Mr Smith and Yours sincerely"
    Kat_B wrote:
    i think ive always been told it's sir and sincerely.... im sure thats what i usually put!
    :no: The two Ss don't go together (although you often see them together because people frequently get this wrong)
    Randomgirl wrote:
    :no: The two Ss don't go together (although you often see them together because people frequently get this wrong)

If someone puts 'dear sir' in a letter, doesn't it end with 'yours faithfully'?
    If someone puts 'dear sir' in a letter, doesn't it end with 'yours faithfully'?

That's what she just said.

Dear sir, Yours Faithfully. To whom it may concern, yours faithfully.

Dear Mr Bloggs, Yours Sincerely.

You can't be sincere to someone you don't know.