Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Muslims and the environment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'll try not to ramble too much on this issue. I am by no means an expert and wanted some opinions. I was reading an article in Aljazeera the other day(I read Aljazeera sometimes to get different viewpoints) and it was discussing different social values from the East and the West in regards to family and civilization.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/6A50D011-7047-43C6-A60A-3C5B985BB70F.htm

Basically, we view arranged marriages, women's right, birth rates ect. in a more liberal manor, but they view the decreased birth rates in some western societies as a huge weakness and very impractical in regards to population growth. I know many Roman Catholics are concerned over this issue as well(reproduction and growth in order to spread your faith).

I guess my question is do Muslims consider the environment in matters such as overpopulation at all or are they just concerned with procreation and spreading the Muslim faith. I never read about any muslim nations becoming very involved in environmental issues. I think Christianity and its attitude toward seperation of mankind and nature is bad enough and I'm certainly not going to defend it. In fact its the biggest factor that turned me away from Christianity 12 years ago.

My whole point is that shouldn't this issue be one of the largest in what we consider is a society that adapts well to the future by practical means.

Comments

• Options
    viridis wrote:
    I think Christianity and its attitude toward seperation of mankind and nature is bad enough QUOTE]
    could you explain this to me?
  • Options
    I remember studying back in college that during the 1800's, a growing theme of separation from man and nature developed largely due to the Industrial revolution and Christianity's interpretation of the Old Testament at the time"for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours."

Another example may be the constant battle between teaching evolution in class rooms here in the states as well as comparing the general attitude of many Polytheistic religions respect and union with nature compared with Christian and Western general attitude. Do dogs go to heaven?
  • Options
    viridis wrote:
    Do dogs go to heaven?
    A dog got voted in parliament in '79... So I can't see why they won't go to heaven.
  • Options
    viridis wrote:
    I remember studying back in college that during the 1800's, a growing theme of separation from man and nature developed largely due to the Industrial revolution and Christianity's interpretation of the Old Testament at the time"for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours."

Another example may be the constant battle between teaching evolution in class rooms here in the states as well as comparing the general attitude of many Polytheistic religions respect and union with nature compared with Christian and Western general attitude. Do dogs go to heaven?
    might be me but ...i think your misunderstanding something or misrepresenting something ...
  • Options
    viridis wrote:
    Do dogs go to heaven?
    if you walk round an old graveyard you will discover from the inscriotions that no one even believed men were going to heaven.
    they were awaiting the great resurection of the dead ...from the earth and the sea ...to a resurection of life on a renewed earth ...not heard of ...and the meek shall inherit the earth?
  • Options
    viridis wrote:
    I'll try not to ramble too much on this issue. I am by no means an expert and wanted some opinions. I was reading an article in Aljazeera the other day(I read Aljazeera sometimes to get different viewpoints) and it was discussing different social values from the East and the West in regards to family and civilization.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/6A50D011-7047-43C6-A60A-3C5B985BB70F.htm

Basically, we view arranged marriages, women's right, birth rates ect. in a more liberal manor, but they view the decreased birth rates in some western societies as a huge weakness and very impractical in regards to population growth. I know many Roman Catholics are concerned over this issue as well(reproduction and growth in order to spread your faith).

I guess my question is do Muslims consider the environment in matters such as overpopulation at all or are they just concerned with procreation and spreading the Muslim faith. I never read about any muslim nations becoming very involved in environmental issues. I think Christianity and its attitude toward seperation of mankind and nature is bad enough and I'm certainly not going to defend it. In fact its the biggest factor that turned me away from Christianity 12 years ago.

My whole point is that shouldn't this issue be one of the largest in what we consider is a society that adapts well to the future by practical means.
    Your stuff about Christianity is not particularly accurate, I don't know who told you that. Christianity teaches that people should be the caretakers of nature. Genesis 2:15 explicitly states this.
  • Options
    why do you mention RCs in your post but then onl;y ask whether its a problem with muslims?
  • Options
    Only because you mentioned it in the original post... What I have never understood is why we always want the population to grow. We all know the Earth can't handle endless expansion...

We would find a different way to care for the aging population if we had to.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Oh, we all know hte truth. Muslims are responsible for global warming, each Muslim outputs more than a faulty diesel engine.

Meh.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Oh, we all know hte truth. Muslims are responsible for global warming, each Muslim outputs more than a faulty diesel engine.

Meh.
    so thats why george wont sign up to kyoto ...kill the muslims instead ...and we thought he was thick!
  • Options
    so thats why george wont sign up to kyoto ...kill the muslims instead ...and we thought he was thick!
    :yes: :thumb:

He knows more than we think!
    That's a worrying thought.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:
    Only because you mentioned it in the original post... What I have never understood is why we always want the population to grow. We all know the Earth can't handle endless expansion...

We would find a different way to care for the aging population if we had to.

We're designed to reproduce.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I want babies.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

If we each had one child the population wouldn't grow would it. I don't think anyone wants a world with 10 billion starving people in it...or do they??
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I want babies.

With me? :flirt: :p

Our main role is to survive and reproduce...that's how we and all other animals fit in with nature.
  • Options
    some races breed faster than others imo......fuck gettin into this!
  • Options
    If we each had one child the population wouldn't grow would it. I don't think anyone wants a world with 10 billion starving people in it...or do they??
    There's plenty of food to go around. It's just that certain people stop it going round.
  • Options
    There's enough people in the world as it is.
  • Options

China is going to have a far worse time than even Europe because of its one child policy.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    With me? :flirt: :p
    Ur... no thanks, I'm taken :p
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    There's enough people in the world as it is.
    MORE than enough.

Wouldn't be so bad if they were all educated, intelligent people.

But we need far less people.... a cull is in order! :p Or just take the chinese "one child per family" appraoch for a while until it balances.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    MORE than enough.

Wouldn't be so bad if they were all educated, intelligent people.

But we need far less people.... a cull is in order! :p Or just take the chinese "one child per family" appraoch for a while until it balances.
    open season should be introduced once a year for thick people.tell me the dates and i'll hide away for that day :)
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    some races breed faster than others imo...

Do they have different gestation periods?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Do they have different gestation periods?
    and your point caller is?.......
  • Options
    My point is- do you really think that some races breed faster than others or do you mean different cultures? If you mean different races- where's your proof, sounds like bullshit to me?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    My point is- do you really think that some races breed faster than others or do you mean different cultures? If you mean different races- where's your proof, sounds like bullshit to me?
    i think your being pedantic,its obvious what i mean. the asian community for example breed like rabbits.....
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i think your being pedantic,its obvious what i mean. the asian community for example breed like rabbits.....

We used to in the west, now it has fallen dramatically. It is to do with social and economic reasons. As a country hits a low point, with depression, or hte economy wavers nad there is much stress and worry, I guess breeding drops.

When the opposite happens, and growth is needed and people are occupied, I guess it goes up, as it does in Asia.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:

Which asian community?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Which asian community?
    the ones in england. :)
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    the ones in england. :)

Which ones?