Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

"Booze Britain": Doom-sayers left with egg on their faces

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    your hypocrisy is stunning!
    heres me thinking the mail did the bidding of the tories ....
    the tories cut police numbers to the bone ...
    along with all medical staff and teachers and binmen and firemen etc etc etc etc.
    I'm not a Tory, I've rubbished the Tories before, countless times.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm not a Tory, I've rubbished the Tories before, countless times.
    you do sound a little to right wing for the tories.
    you do sound a little to right wing for the tories.
    And you sound too left-wing for Labour, Rolly.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    the Government can always trust a lazy, compliant paper like The Independent to do their bidding, can't they? :rolleyes:

Have you ever actually read the Independent?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Have you ever actually read the Independent?
    Of course. Your point being?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    And you sound too left-wing for Labour, Rolly.
    i think you should consult blagsta on that one.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Of course. Your point being?

My point being that if you think "the Government can always trust a lazy, compliant paper like The Independent to do their bidding" then either
    (a) you're an idiot
    (b) you've never read it

They've been quite outspoken in their opposition to ID cards, the Iraq war, the anti-terrorism legislation etc iirc
    i'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
    i need my bed ...
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Getting back on topic, here's what the Daily Mail says about this story.

Well, well. Aladdin didn't point out the figures had been published two months early. Nor did he point out there's a £2.5 million campaign involving the police to see how the law beds in. I bet if we look again in a few months that alcohol-related crime will be rocketing. Rubbish law by rubbish government. It may not be popular to look at what the Mail says, but the Government can always trust a lazy, compliant paper like The Independent to do their bidding, can't they? :rolleyes:

£2.5m is absolutely nothing, how much is that per pub? A fiver? It was hardly worth the bother of giving the Police such a stupidly small amount of money.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Getting back on topic, here's what the Daily Mail says about this story.

Well, well. Aladdin didn't point out the figures had been published two months early. Nor did he point out there's a £2.5 million campaign involving the police to see how the law beds in. I bet if we look again in a few months that alcohol-related crime will be rocketing. Rubbish law by rubbish government. It may not be popular to look at what the Mail says, but the Government can always trust a lazy, compliant paper like The Independent to do their bidding, can't they? :rolleyes:
    The figures are not bogus at all. The Daily Mail is simply reeling that the much trumpeted social breakdown and apocalypse it had bothered us all with has failed to materialise.

This is the very paper that's always moaning and crying about not enough bobbies on the beat ffs!

How odious and despicable that worthless rag is...
    Perhaps not bogus, but certainly misleading...
    It's not a surprise.

More controlled drinking, which is good. My favourite is now open an extra hour, and it means the entire pub doesn't try and ram another pint down their throats in ten minutes. It should be up to the landlord when he closes his premises, unless his premises are causing trouble for local residents.

I can't wait for smoking to be totally banned in pubs.
    Apparently before this new law, bars closed at 11 in England. That's the time I head out some nights...our pubs stay open till 2 and if you know your contacts...even longer :D
    Yeah, it was stupid.

They were supposed to shut at 11. Tell that to a country pub in Cumbria, and they'll laugh at you. The landlord of my old local in Bradford got laughed at when he rang last orders too:D
    Yep...there's a wee bar hidden in the mountains round my way....stays open to 5 and 6 in the morning. Great wee spot.

English can't handle their drink....that's why they're always in the paper, they're not binge drinking...they just can't handle it.
    turlough wrote:
    English can't handle their drink....that's why they're always in the paper, they're not binge drinking...they just can't handle it.

Exactly.

Drtinking quickly makes things worse, but most of the bother is caused by the kiddies who can't handle their beer. That's why Christmas Party season has so much violence- all the people who go out once a year, and can't hack the ale when they do.

Some people could have a fight in an empty room, but that's life.
    turlough wrote:
    Apparently before this new law, bars closed at 11 in England. That's the time I head out some nights...our pubs stay open till 2 and if you know your contacts...even longer :D

The law in NI was changed to put the illegal drinking dens (run by the paramilitaries) out of business.