Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

CofE apologises over slave labour

It can safely be said we live in difficult times. Family breakdown is at unheard of levels, divorce rates are rocketing, there's a lack of respect in society, terrorism is rampant in Iraq and elsewhere. Oh, and embassies all round the world have been burning. Well, you know there's one group of people you can trust not to pay any attention to any of this. Yes, the Church of England. What have they decided to do?

The Church of England has voted to apologise to the descendents of victims of the slave trade. An amendment "recognising the damage done" to those enslaved was backed overwhelmingly by the General Synod. Debating the motion, Rev Simon Bessant, from Pleckgate, Blackburn, described the Church's involvement in the trade, saying, "We were at the heart of it." The amendment was supported by Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams and Archbishop of York John Sentamu. Dr Williams said the apology was "necessary".

Clickety click click...

Now let me make one thing clear. I do not doubt that there are moments of history that Christians should be ashamed of. But consider that most countries of the world have violent histories. And most other religions have violent histories, though we dare not say so for fear of "offending" someone. And bearing in mind that Britain stopped taking part in the slave trade in 1833, (I think that was it, I'm not completely certain) isn't all this irrelevant nonsense, dragging up the past? Let it be!

In difficult times such as this, it's always nice to know that the Church of England hasn't got anything relevant to say about it. This is where I commend Islam. Muslims stand up for what they believe in. They defend the family unit, they defend marriage, they stand up for manners and common decency. No, I don't agree with everything Islam stands for, but at least they have the guts to stand up and be counted, unlike the useless CofE.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You weren't so nonchalant about turlough apologising for bullying that was in his past.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    You weren't so nonchalant about turlough apologising for bullying that was in his past.
    Unless Turlough stopped bullying in 1833 as well, there's no way a comparison can be made between the two situations.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Unless Turlough stopped bullying in 1833 as well, there's no way a comparison can be made between the two situations.
    the past is no part of my future and the present is well out of hand.
  • Options
    the past is no part of my future and the present is well out of hand.

sounds like a Joy Division lyric...am I right?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    sounds like a Joy Division lyric...am I right?
    :thumb:
    that line has stuck in my head all these years!
  • Options
    Probably my favourite band ever.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Probably my favourite band ever.
    into stimulants and weed at the time by any chance?
  • Options
    Well I was 9 when Ian Curtis hanged himself. But I was a moody teenager and spent a lot of time in my bedroom listening to Joy Division...
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Well I was 9 ...
    sorry mate!
    i was into them and the manchester scene under the influence of sputnik and speed ...lots of.
  • Options
    It is easier to listen to and have respect for an organisation/ body/ church etc. that acknowledges its past mistakes and learns from history so that these mistakes aren't repeated. What is rather pathetic in this case is that the CoE are making an apology in 2006 for a wrong in circa-1833. I'm not saying that the apology shouldn't be made this late, more that it is telling that is is being made so late. Why? springs to mind, what's their motivation? If it's to acknowledge their past, how come it's taken so long when their involvement hasn't exactly been disputed? Makes me think they're trying to 'slip it in' amidst "Family breakdown is at unheard of levels, divorce rates are rocketing, there's a lack of respect in society, terrorism is rampant in Iraq and elsewhere."
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    It is easier to listen to and have respect for an organisation/ body/ church etc. that acknowledges its past mistakes and learns from history so that these mistakes aren't repeated. What is rather pathetic in this case is that the CoE are making an apology in 2006 for a wrong in circa-1833. I'm not saying that the apology shouldn't be made this late, more that it is telling that is is being made so late. Why? springs to mind, what's their motivation? If it's to acknowledge their past, how come it's taken so long when their involvement hasn't exactly been disputed? Makes me think they're trying to 'slip it in' amidst "Family breakdown is at unheard of levels, divorce rates are rocketing, there's a lack of respect in society, terrorism is rampant in Iraq and elsewhere."
    catholic church have done the same about the jews and sex crimes ...all a bit late. when it no longer realy matters and ...they can say ...well ...we did apologize ... eventualy.
    meaningless shite realy.
  • Options
    catholic church have done the same about the jews and sex crimes ...all a bit late. when it no longer realy matters and ...they can say ...well ...we did apologize ... eventualy.
    meaningless shite realy.
    Well, exactly.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Well, exactly.
    they make themselves less and less relevant to peoples reality by the day ...digging their own graves ...good thing too.
  • Options
    they make themselves less and less relevant to peoples reality by the day ...digging their own graves ...good thing too.
    I do wonder when the CofE will ever get its act together. Or even if it ever will.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I do wonder when the CofE will ever get its act together. Or even if it ever will.
    it won't.
    take a look around you ...churches becoming homes shops garages ...god moved out a long time ago in disgust.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    it won't.
    take a look around you ...churches becoming homes shops garages ...god moved out a long time ago in disgust.

God moved out as soon as Religion became an organised thing. When Churches were established. And people began to take power through it...

God left fucking quick, when he saw what a cock up he made here. If he exists.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    God left fucking quick, when he saw what a cock up he made .
    you mean when he saw men bowing before statues and becoming property owners and investors in the arms trade ...
    when they fought wars and blessed nations in his name ...same with the muslim god i'd think.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    you mean when he saw men bowing before statues and becoming property owners and investors in the arms trade ...
    when they fought wars and blessed nations in his name ...same with the muslim god i'd think.

They're one and the same, I reackon! Different folk took a different take on it, I reackon. If they are different, they're probably sharing a pint, laughing, and saying "Heh, do you remember that Earth? I wonder if they've all killed each other yet!" "Yeah, I'm sure glad we haven't made that mistake again!"
  • Options
    Interestingly the Economist called for slavery to be made legal again because after it was banned it continued and was worse than before because the profits were higher.

They suggested that as horrid as the trade was it would be better if it was legal.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Interestingly the Economist called for slavery to be made legal again because after it was banned it continued and was worse than before because the profits were higher.

They suggested that as horrid as the trade was it would be better if it was legal.
    interestingly ...slavery is now reffered to as employment.
    not all employment but many people ...the majority i pressume ...are nothing more than wage slaves.

interestingly ...if you read the bible account of moses freeing his people from slavery from the egyptians ...few of them actualy wanted to leave behind what they had.
    it wasn't slavery as in chains. it was a slavery where thewy obeyed the rulers but were were free to have shops and trades etc.
    once they were set free they wouldn't stop grumbling about the joys they had given up such as ...garlic and tomatoes and a roof over their heads.

so come the revolution ...any revolution ...most people i pressume will be complaining ...
  • Options
    so come the revolution ...any revolution ...most people i pressume will be complaining ...

Most people just want stability.
  • Options
    not all employment but many people ...the majority i pressume ...are nothing more than wage slaves.

:yes:

The chains are hidden, the pressure's subtle. People refer to it as stress, but what they mean is fear.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Most people just want stability.
    now that would be some revolution!
  • Options
    When has life ever been "stable" though?
  • Options
    Always, if you're a horse...

:o:D
  • Options

See, you do like Marx after all. :p