Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reaction to Prophet Muhammad cartoons in London (pics)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    There was absolutely nothing wrong with Chile's democracy that merited overthorwing a lawfully and democratically elected government and putting a butchering fascist madman in his place.

Putting aside the fact that the whole point of democracies is that the will of the people must be obeyed.

No matter how you or grapes try to spin this issue. No country has a right to interfere in the electoral process of another nation. Especially when the said process is a democracy. And double especially when the country that is doing the interfering actually portrays itself as a promoter of democracy and freedom for everyone (LOL x 1,000,000,000,000).

I guess that you might have disagreed about Allende's democracy if you were having your head kicked in by his thugs. And its not really a functioning democracy when you're beating those who oppose your will into bloody lumps.

The fact that Pinochet then went and did the same doesn't really defend Allende doing it.
  • Options
    How often did that happen? And how widespread it was?

And more to the point, are you actually suggesting that the US overthrew a democratic government because it was concerned about unrest?

Please...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    How often did that happen? And how widespread it was?

And more to the point, are you actually suggesting that the US overthrew a democratic government because it was concerned about unrest?

Please...

Pretty often and no I'm not suggesting that the US overthrew a democracy to prevent unrest*, but that Allende was not this perfect democracy you seem to be suggesting, but instead a country sliding towards civil war where the political leadership (and its opponents) were both prepared to use violence to support their ends.

* as an aside the US involvment in the overthrow of Allende remains unproven either way.
  • Options
    I don't think Chile was heading towards civil war, but discussing it would mean diverting further from the original point, since the US involvement had nothing to do with such concerns.

The bottom line remains that the US does not care for democracy and freedom for other nations- and that is based on its actions not on its words- and that as such any suggestions that it supports Israel because it used to be the only democracy in the Middle East are widely off the mark.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So you want the army to be called in to shoot at what was basically a peaceful protest?

You've all gone bonkers.

yes dressing up as sucide bombers, making repeated death threats, racists chants and oh yeah charging at the police is really peaceful....

they had their one shot. Time to get serious.

If the government can arrest protestors at the Labour party conference, they can arrest these vile specimens.

I get why they didn arrest staright away. Though the flaws in videoing them, then arresting them after is they might not be able to tell who alot of them are due to their faces being covered.

I belive in the right to protest but allying yourself with terroists, making public detah threats and mimicing sucide bombers is out of line.

Would they be so bold if they knew they could die doing one one protest?

I don't think so.

Its nothing on par with adolf hitler either. Thats typical arrogant, ignorant, pointless, pathetic comment and one I sadly expect.

what if the fake suicide bomber had been a real one eh? then what? what if he got out and went to some hbuilding full of innocent people?

they have the clearance to kill suicdie bombers, they should use it. Although to better effect then last time, least get the right guy.

there needs to be some real deterrants to stop terrorism. Of course you can never use them as the cicil rights and equality brigade alway smake a fuss and then media turns it back on the governmnets etc that are rying to stop terrorism, then bitch and complain when they fail to!
  • Options
    Wow. You've actually never read anything on how to stop terrorism, have you? Bloody Sunday ringing any bells?
  • Options
    well actually I was taight by an expert in international affairs and terroirms, who pointed out the a zero tolerance policy that included killing fmailies of terrorists, actaully worked in Algeria. So yes I have read and been taught about stopping terrorism actually.

And Bloody Sunday isn tanything ot do with this. IRA and extremism are 2 very different animals.

the lethal force I suggested would be an aid to stopping protest such as that one and creating this fear climate but you need more then that to stop the hardened terrorist and recruitment of new ones.

Yes a lethal policy would still be in place but you have to take away what they most desire and are fanatical about. Not life. They ar ewilling to die for the cause. Just killing them won;t do.

You have to take away what they hold most dear.....their afterlife.

but its too controversial an idea to ever be accepted.
  • Options
    Algeria? They're in the middle of a 10 year long civil war against Islamic extremists!

So, you dont think killing a bunch of protestors might lead to terrorist sympathies among Muslims?

You know nothing about this subject. Whats the name of this "respected lecturer?" I'd like to know, as I'm currently studying an MA in International Relations at St Andrews, where the European Centre for Political Violence and Terrorism Studies is situated. I spoke with John Horgan, the terrorism and forensic psychology expert in November about terrorism. And funnily enough, he didn't advocate any of this.
  • Options
    Algeria, they Algeirs/ Look back on history. The French did it apperently.

I didnt say to kill a bunch. Some letahl force could be used. You'd could only kill 1 or 2 or 5 or more. Depending on what they did. Psychology, relaity. It would probably work and be legitimate to.

You can't threaten to kill people, threaten rebellion, swear alligence to terrorists and not have anything done to you.

Thats not protest, thats treason! And I always thought treason was an executional offense so its nothing new.

and di your guy say? Big bad west made it all, pander them??

the way to deal with terrorists and is intelligence, force and psychology. Tkaing away what they desire and the resources for their aims.

what did your guy say to do?
  • Options
    1. The French lost Algeria, and had to leave. Not too good at history, are you?

2. Also, guess what turned Fallujah into jihadi centre of the world? The US forces shooting dead 14 protestors. Because of that, for months after they couldnt enter the city, and only took it back after some pretty bloody fighting.

3. Yes, thats why have courts of law. Then we can try them and send them to prison, if they have committed a crime. Besides, who says any hypothetical crowd shooters would hit only those who broke the law? Or is that "collateral damage", just like all those civilians terrorists kill?

4. Treason has not been an executionable offence since 1999. Your lack of history is showing again.

5. Hey, look, its the Strawman argument! I'll make up shit thats so unbelievable I can knock it down with a few words!

No, actually he said a strategy is needed whereby terrorist sympthies are stopped being created and cutting off the killers from the religion goers. By isolation, limited assassination (because actually, killing isnt an effective tactic http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2004/03/destabilizing_t.html) and cutting off their financial funding would work.

I say that first off Iraq needs to be dealt with. Send in the whole damn CIA, DIA, NSA, MI6. Everyone. Infiltrate, find evidence of crimes, try them and send them away for life. Terrorism is a crime, treating it as a military matter is the start of all our current problems.

Beef up intelligence at home. Start looking into where the money comes from, like the French did. Pin the head of Saudi intelligence to a wall until he spills his guts with all he knows, because they fund AQ more than anyone else. Get Musharraf to shut down the Maddrasses and arrest those who run them. Purge the ISI while he's at it.

Covert funding and recognition should be given to moderate groups, to seperate the fundamentalists from the ordinary people and prevent the fundamentalists preaching at all, if possible.

Just killing people doesnt work. Unless you're willing to commit genocide, it never does.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Not really, no. Seeing as it was a democratically elected government and that Allende was not a communist.

I meant turn it into an enemy on their doorstep rather than a communist haven.
    That is not what the US believed. Therefore it is right to call them hypocritical and to say they really don't give a shit about democracy.

Again, unsupported. You can't know what "the US" believed.
  • Options
    You gotta love the unresearched gullibility ( or is it intentioned ignorance, one wonders) of Dis. Who does he cite for his idea of "balanced" rebuttal but one of the most notoriously known hardline Zionist ideologues in the US. A man who is a signatory to the PNAC's seminal policy report on the necessity of applying US military might unilaterally across the Middle East...

In short, another liar and extremist who associates with Tel Aviv's most useful American spies in the halls of power.

You're really showing your extremist colours with every post. Oh the irony!

Yawn. Unfortunate that you can’t give any response to the link in question and content of that. I actually had the pleasure of seeing Pipes a little while back and speaking to him. Anyway I’m not here to defend the personality of Daniel Pipes, I’m sure you’re capable of emailing him your inane insults and conspiracy theories.

Meanwhile to consider what Pipes has actually said on the subject of ‘Jewish control’:
    (1) It is said that the Jewish control of America is so tight. Is that reality or myth?

The notion of Jewish control of the United States is utter nonsense. Jews are a capable people who have, through hard-work, gained a disproportionate role in some aspects of American life. But they in no way dominate the country. Further, they could not, for Jews differ greatly among themselves; the notion of a single Jewish viewpoint organized by a single Jewish group is pure fantasy. On any topic—from education to foreign policy—they disagree vociferously and intensely among themselves.

(2) The Arab press talks about Jewish control of money, media and politics in America. Is this an undisputed fact?

No, there is no Jewish control of the media and politics in the United States. Jews do have a larger role than their 2 percent of the population might suggest, but it is far from monolithic or organized. Jews compete with each other as much or more than they cooperate—whether for business or for votes.

(3) Has the political Jewish control originated from the active role in elections as a well organised minority?

For starters, there is no "political Jewish control." For evident historical reasons, Jews have an intense interest in politics. They have had a tumultuous and sometimes terrible history: to protect themselves from future disasters, Jews in the United States and elsewhere tend to pay close attention to politics. They vote in larger percentages than almost any other element of the population. They give money to political candidates in larger amounts. They write and speak more about politics. None of this amounts to Jewish "control" of politics in the United States, but it does help explain the prominent place of Jews in American public life.

(4) What about religious and cultural alliances of American Jews with the rest of America?

In the entire history of the Jews, they have never lived in a country as securely and as successfully as in the United States today. It is a golden age. The secularism of the United States offers Jews the opportunity to purse their religion without any interference from the state. The openness of the country allows them the chance to flourish economically and express themselves intellectually. Its democratic nature permits Jews to integrate into public life. In all, Jews have become a full-fledged part of American life. They have both influenced the country and been influenced by it. In this sense, Jews cannot be distinguished from other Americans, even if they retain a distinctive set of characteristics.

(5) If there were such control, how can America liberate itself from it?

The notion of America liberating itself from Jews is absurd. Jews are full citizens of the United States with political, economic and personal rights and responsibilities precisely like any other citizens. This may be difficult for Arabs to comprehend, for the premises of American life are utterly different from those in the Middle East; as a result, Arabs in many cases simply do not understand how things work in the United States. It is key not to assume that the United States resembles Arab countries; I urge your readers not to see the United States in terms of their own experience. It takes much information and imagination to understand how this truly revolutionary country functions. Do not presume: learn. Do not project from what you know but take the time to find out how things work there. Only by such a process of investigating will Arabs come to comprehend the United States in general and specifically the role of Jews within it.
  • Options
    I meant turn it into an enemy on their doorstep rather than a communist haven.
    Allende and Chile could hardly be described as an enemy.

Allende was simply critical of the US government and refused to dance to its tune.

That is all it takes sometimes (or rather, most of the time) for the freedom and democracy-loving US government to take down or attempt to take down other democracies.

Again, unsupported. You can't know what "the US" believed.
    Yes I do. The whole world knows. That's absolutely beyond doubt.
  • Options
    Personally, I think they are completely over reacting, although these people see it as their right not to have their faith made fun of or ridiculed. I see their point also but there are definately other ways of dealing with it. What I hate most about the entire situation is the fact that it is giving Islamics a bad name and I feel sorry for normal Islams who are just going about their everyday lives.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    well actually I was taight by an expert in international affairs and terroirms, who pointed out the a zero tolerance policy that included killing fmailies of terrorists, actaully worked in Algeria. So yes I have read and been taught about stopping terrorism actually.

has to be one of the daftest fucking posts i ever read!
    what a crock of shit!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    well actually I was taight by an expert in international affairs and terroirms, who pointed out the a zero tolerance policy that included killing fmailies of terrorists, actaully worked in Algeria.
    That has worked well in Palestine, has it?
  • Options
    Al, I think we have finally met Thanatos's "Minime". Rolly, I think "daft" is your biggest understatement yet. This guy is outright genocidal in his views.
  • Options
    Al, I think we have finally met Thanatos's "Minime". Rolly, I think "daft" is your biggest understatement yet. This guy is outright genocidal in his views.
    i love this last bit ...

have read and been taught about stopping terrorism actually.

so go and stop it you chump!
  • Options
    Im sure his summer school module equipped him with all the oversight of the issue he ever thinks he'll need.

I wonder if his training involved target practice with military assault weaponry and 101 ways to use electricity to extract confessions. :nervous:
  • Options
    Well the board could do with one... ;)
  • Options
    Not enough extremist apologetics from Dis alone to satisfy your tastes, Al? ;)
  • Options
    Not enough extremist apologetics from Dis alone to satisfy your tastes, Al? ;)

Extremist? :rolleyes: That’s interesting because I support a Palestinian state existing alongside a Jewish one and I believe the best way to achieve that is through the Roadmap to Peace. This view is supported by the bulk of the international community; by Britain, the US, the EU, Russia and some moderate Arab states. It's the mainstream attitude.

You meanwhile – along with white supremacists, fundamentalist Muslims and Iran oppose the very existence of the State of Israel. And you have the audacity to consistently label me as some kind of extremist. :lol:
  • Options
    You meanwhile – along with white supremacists, fundamentalist Muslims and Iran oppose the very existence of the State of Israel. And you have the audacity to consistently label me as some kind of extremist. :lol:

Spot on.
  • Options
    The class walkindude is talking about was taught at Leeds University by Dr Hartley, and his point on Algeria was in the context of the French occupation of the country. The tactic of zero tolerance was only implemented in the capital of Algeria not the whole country and resulted in the total and utter crushing of all anti-French actions with in the city successfully. The brutal nature of the tactic made it impossible to implement on a national scale however considering Frances ever declining status as a world power at the time. Had they been a stronger nation and the leaders responsible been willing to make the sacrifices of the innocent lives the tactic would have been successful.

Since, Walkindude didnt mention the specifics and you all decided to jump on in for that oversight, i thought i would fill in the blanks.

Another correction that needs to be made is, that what ever Israel has so far been doing to stop palestinian extremists, has not even remotely come close to the French tactic of zero tolerance. So to even make the comparison is ignorance of what the French actually did, which was far more brutal.

Just to clear things up.

Also Disillusioned last point was indeed spot on.
  • Options
    Thanks Subject + Tal :) :thumb:
  • Options
    This view is supported by the bulk of the international community

This is actually incorrect as most foreign policy analysts of note recognise that the Roadmap is essentially dead, killed in large part due to Sharon's unilateralist substitution of it with Gaza withdrawal without any further negotiations on other key issues required by the Bush admin plan. A PR coup perfectly in keeping with the historic disingenuity of the Israeli state towards any viable and lasting peace.

CFR analysis: Roadmap is a dead end

Too much money being extorted from US taxpayers for too many generations to allow peace to threaten the profitable militaristic status quo. Your man Pipes is a perfect example of the duplicitous and grasping mindset that will not rest till the Arabs are completely eliminated or deported elsewhere.
    You meanwhile – along with white supremacists, fundamentalist Muslims and Iran oppose the very existence of the State of Israel

Now you are truly getting desperate and again revealing the depth of your adherence to ideological reactionism over any claim to scholarly "balance". I have never once advocated the eradication of Israel, nor would I. You also lie by associating me with white supremists as it is you who evinces racist bigotry in almost every post, not I. I would tread carefully in your repeated false assertions Dis, others have been banned for far less.

I would caution your little ideologue cheerleaders to be similarly careful in their dishonesty and false accusations.
  • Options
    This is actually incorrect as most foreign policy analysts of note recognise that the Roadmap is essentially dead, killed in large part due to Sharon's unilateralist substitution of it with Gaza withdrawal without any further negotiations on other key issues required by the Bush admin plan. A PR coup perfectly in keeping with the historic disingenuity of the Israeli state towards any viable and lasting peace.

Israel’s acting Prime Minister has quite clearly stated that Israel will give up large parts of the West Bank. (See here). Israel is committed to the creation of a Palestinian state, further withdrawals from large parts of the West Bank could allow a feasible Palestinian state to materialise. While I am uneasy with the idea of further concessions until terrorist groups are dismantled – or renounce violence and recognise Israel the current Israeli position may be a more practical way forward.
    Now you are truly getting desperate and again revealing the depth of your adherence to ideological reactionism over any claim to scholarly "balance". I have never once advocated the eradication of Israel, nor would I.

I wasn’t aware that you had performed such a colossal U-Turn. You now presumably recognise the State of Israel? I’m delighted.
    You also lie by associating me with white supremists as it is you who evinces racist bigotry in almost every post, not I. I would tread carefully in your repeated false assertions Dis, others have been banned for far less.

I was merely suggesting that in regard to opposing the very existence of Israel you are in agreement with white supremacists and fundamentalist Muslims who feel the same about the Jewish state. However, since you’ve recanted that position and now appear to recognise the legitimacy of Israel I realise I was mistaken. I most sincerely apologise. Meanwhile I'm unsure on what possible grounds you think I should be banned - from previous posts of yours it seemed quite evident that in regard to the State of Israel you agree with white supremacists. Since you don't my mistake, no hard feelings I hope.
  • Options
    I wasn’t aware that Clandestine had performed such a colossal U-Turn

Again i caution you little liar to prove such claims or dispense with them altogether. I have made no U turn as no U turn was ever needed. As ever I advocate that the only true solution for lasting peace is the full acknowledgement by Israel of its own terrorist origins, intentioned ethnocide and perpetual adeherence to the 19th century apartheid ideology of Zionism (which has never wavered from its particularist group exceptionalistic dogma for Jews over all indigienous peoples of the region).

Secondly it must once and for all abandon this apartheid statist dogma and embrace true pluralistic democracy with equal rights for all, Palestinian and Israeli, before it can presume to use the rhetoric of liberal democracy with any validity.

Thirdly it must make restitution and atonement for its ethnocidal atrocities to those Palestinians still living by ensuring full reconstruction of viable centers of residence with equal access to water and freedom of movement and work.

Fourthly it must begin honest, transparent public debate on the right of return for some or all of the thousands of palestinians shamefully forced from their homes into exile. The US bears much responsibility in ensuring a fair and adequate settlement on this issue be it in terms of restored residence or monetary restitution and formal admission by the state of Israel for its former crime against humanity.

Lastly the state thenceforth must, like its South African counterpart, ensure that representation and governance is proportional to the composite ethnic/political character of all its citizens.

Such a one state solution is the only solution and one which rabid extremist Zionist ideologues dare not consider at all costs. Their ideological dogma is founded on too great a paranoia to ever be relinquished, even for lasting peace.

I suggest you stop taking the rhetoric of your ideological heros at face value, Sharon's own "facts on the ground" admissions and his actions (which have been anything but a willingness to meet far lesser conditions required for a two state solution) belie the true intentions of the Israeli state. One day when and if you ever do achieve some academic honesty and some experience in political double speak, you may just perhaps recognise what I have long been attempting to tell you. Then again, I wouldnt bet on it.
    I was merely suggesting that in regard to opposing the very existence of Israel you are in agreement with white supremacists and fundamentalist Muslims who feel the same about the Jewish state.

I know full well what you were suggesting and you've done it again with this statement. Repetition does not make it true nor was it ever. Neither, again, did I recant anything since you will find no post in all the time I have been here where i ever advocated any such position. Your assertion is a reactionist lie and merely further indication of the validity of my assessment of your inherent extremist perspective.
  • Options
    Let me apologise again for my misinterpretation of your opinion. You do not oppose the very existence of the Jewish state. You simply oppose in the most absolutist terms the very concept of Zionism – the movement that sought the creation and development of a Jewish homeland. Um and surely your advocacy of a single state translates into rejecting the existence of a Jewish state? And I'm guessing you don't want to call this new singular state Israel? Wait a sec, I don't think I was mistaken at all in my interpretation of your position.

Meanwhile speak to some Israelis about your proposed one-state solution; unless they’re feeling suicidal they won’t be too keen. The pragmatic solution is two states and fundamentally a viable Palestinian state. I don’t see any other realistic solution that imo could practically produce long-term peace and stability for Israelis and Palestinians. I find it tragic that in the past the Palestinians in 1937 and 1947 twice rejected partition plans that would have created two states; a Jewish and a Palestinian one. (Even more tragic that this couldn’t have been solved in 1937, were a Jewish state in existence then the effects of events in Europe could have been far less catastrophic)
  • Options
    Interesting to note how I acually delivered a tactic and used real examples of stopping terrorism, while the majority on here simply come up with stupid insults and mocking behaviour rather then use any real examples or ideas of solutions. Its easy to critcise other but coming up with idea of your own is hard for you isn't it?

that speaks volumes to me.

also, as I said, though none of you bothered to read it. Death ISN'T the the ultimate solution to terrorism. My lethal force idea was for those who support the terrorists and while I think killing terrorists isnt far wrong, its the not the ultimate solution. But no one bothers to read what people put so whats the point in saying it?