Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Labrapoodle

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    I think they're quality too, but I suppose It depends what your looking for.

If you want a dog just to look cute and sit on your lap get a little yappa.
    But if you want an active dog to play with, or a dog for your kids then get a Retriever or a Staffy

:thumb:

Selective breeding to an extent isn't a bad thing, or at least it wasn't in the past when it was done for reasons other than vanity and producing expensive (and weird-looking, imo) pets. It's awful reading about some of the health problems pedigrees have, iirc Dalmatians are particularly affected because their breeding process is so strict. :(
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Wrong, wrong, wrong.
    And don't call me "mate". :rolleyes:

The process of breed differentiation causes deliberate inbreeding. This inbreeding decreases genetic diversity which also decreases heterozygosity, thus increasing homozygosity. Which makes deletarious recessive aleles more likely to be expressed. Which basically means that pure bred dogs are more prone to diseases and morpheological problems than cross breeds and mongrels.
    A classic example is the bull dog, it has been bred for its short snout which makes it extremely prone to respiratory problems. Big dogs such as retrievers and boxers are prone to hip displaycia (sp?!).
    Cross breeding dogs kind of dilutes the alleles and brings back heterozygosity.

so yes therefore you are wrong :p
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    briggi wrote:
    :thumb:

Selective breeding to an extent isn't a bad thing, or at least it wasn't in the past when it was done for reasons other than vanity and producing expensive (and weird-looking, imo) pets. It's awful reading about some of the health problems pedigrees have, iirc Dalmatians are particularly affected because their breeding process is so strict. :(

That's because white animals are quite often born deaf. It's the same with white boxers.

A lot of the little dog breeds were bred specifically for lookign nice and being lap dogs, which is a little sad. I don't liek the thought of dogs as fashion items.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Alright, leave it. I made a mistake, that was that.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Alright, leave it. I made a mistake, that was that.
    You're forgiven... mate :thumb: :lol:

Ilora x
  • Options
    no prob.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    A lot of the little dog breeds were bred specifically for lookign nice and being lap dogs, which is a little sad. I don't liek the thought of dogs as fashion items.

Yeah, it's a little peculiar, to say the least. But where's there's demand...

I didn't know that about white animals, you learn something new every day!
  • Options
    briggi wrote:

White cats with blue eyes are more likey to be deaf in both ears. White cats with one blue eye are more likely to be deaf in on the blue eyed side. Those with orange eyes have a far higher chance of being able to hear.

Intresting eh?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    briggi wrote:

Surely not all white ones though? I've had loads of westies and none of them have been deaf, or does that depend on how 'inbred' they are?
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    Surely not all white ones though? I've had loads of westies and none of them have been deaf, or does that depend on how 'inbred' they are?

It doesn't affect every breed.

I know it affects Dally's, boxers, and white cats.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    White cats with blue eyes are more likey to be deaf in both ears. White cats with one blue eye are more likely to be deaf in on the blue eyed side. Those with orange eyes have a far higher chance of being able to hear.

Intresting eh?

I'd actually always wondered if cats having one blue eye was an indication of anything since I see them all the time. Who says this place isn't an education!? :p
  • Options
    Actually stargalaxy, what you are saying is COMPLETELY wrong.
    crossbreeding is BETTER for the dogs, DECREASES health problems. Pedigree dogs are often inbred, and that causes the same problems as inbreeding in humans would. To make a healthier gene pool, dogs need to cross breed. The healthiest dog is a complete mongrel.
    Pedigree dogs are unnatural.
    this isnt opinion its fact.
    Just to back up with skive et al

You're really wrong stargalaxative.

I always wanted a dog, and I fancy a collie, cos they're supposed to be very bright.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

I always wanted a dog, and I fancy a collie, cos they're supposed to be very bright.
    they are, but theyre a complete pain in the arse as a pet unless you want to walk it for hours every day and provide it with lots of mental stimulation for the next 12 years, otherwise they can be destructive.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

:yes:. I've a Border Collie/Lab cross and she is the most loyal/intelligent/active/friendly/gorgeous (etcetc) dog ever. Am just a bit biased toward Collies of any type, though some of the pure-breeds can be a bit fierce and also destructive as rainbow brite said.

Definitely depends on what you're looking for and what you have to offer the dog, too. :D
  • Options
    they are, but theyre a complete pain in the arse as a pet unless you want to walk it for hours every day and provide it with lots of mental stimulation for the next 12 years, otherwise they can be destructive.
    My best mate is a vet med student, she tells me I pick all the awkward dogs, but if I was going to get one, it'd be because I was willing to put the time in.

At least with a collie I'd have someone to go running with.
  • Options
    You're forgiven... mate :thumb: :lol:

Ilora x

At least he has the ability to admit when he's wrong.
  • Options
    I love dogs, but I have to say, I was a little disapppointed by the mix- labs are way cuter than that!! :confused:
  • Options
    awww i wasnt a chi-poo ChiPooDaisy3.JPG
  • Options
    we've got a scottish deerhound
    wow, that clockwork dog is very realistic
  • Options
    :lol: class
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    haha! just realised what u meant!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    :lol:
    Don't you mean sundial though?
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    its approx 3.15pm :lol: time sponsored by scottish deerhound
  • Options
    One of my flat mates is getting one of these in the next couple of years.

The labradoodle that is.

They look quite cute.