Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

student loan installment

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
well i know it differs slightly for every uni cause some start early, others late but when do you get your next loan installment through, is it march or april?

I really hope i dont have to wait till april or I am buggered cause I wont be able to afford rent/bills money for food ;<
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    24th april for mine
    crap chances are i'll get mine around the same time too then :(
    Yep, around end of April for me.
    18th April for me and its the same day my rent is due, I hope its not late.
    yeh it's april time. so i'm pretty sure it's around the same date for everyone.
    my rent is due on the 1st of april! Ah bugger I dont even know if I will be able to make my march rent payment :/

the stupid thing is though I am skint now yet when i get my next installment through the inland revenue will also reimburse me £600 so i'll have plenty of money then ;(
    Gavman wrote:
    my rent is due on the 1st of april! Ah bugger I dont even know if I will be able to make my march rent payment :/

the stupid thing is though I am skint now yet when i get my next installment through the inland revenue will also reimburse me £600 so i'll have plenty of money then ;(

i'd have to agree that jan-april is quite a long time to make our loans stretch!

my landlord is quite good though and we pay rent 3 times a year (so, when we get our loan). next year though, i'm going with a letting agency and paying monthly.
    Gavman wrote:

i would have a word with your landlord, sometimes they can be quite flexible if you explain that you are waiting for your loan installment.

also in the past i've spoken to my local council who got onto the loan providers to give me my installment early because i needed it to pay my rent.
    Gavman wrote:
    I hope you don't mind me asking, but how often is rent paid at university? Do they take the money out of an account weekly, or do they take more money at regular intervals?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I hope you don't mind me asking, but how often is rent paid at university? Do they take the money out of an account weekly, or do they take more money at regular intervals?

depends on your landlord. do you mean halls?

generally you can either pay monthly, 3 times a year or in 1 chunk. that's how it is around here anyway.
    ah well I am renting a house through a letting agents (Tully's but they are a bucnh of thieving wankers!) and I pay on the 1st of every month
    depends on your landlord. do you mean halls?

generally you can either pay monthly, 3 times a year or in 1 chunk. that's how it is around here anyway.

same here if you live in halls.
    Gavman wrote:
    ah well I am renting a house through a letting agents (Tully's but they are a bucnh of thieving wankers!) and I pay on the 1st of every month
    i recommend that next year you pay in 3 installments which co-inside with your loan installments. its much easier to manage money that way.

eta: if you find that you are really struggling and can't get help from your parents then there is the option of applying for a hardship loan from your university.
    Little_one wrote:
    same here if you live in halls.

otherwise it depends on the landlord.

mine was quite lenient though he never gave us any other option of paying other than 3 times a year.

it might be best to go with a student orientated letting agency (for your 2nd year?) as they might offer better installment dates etc. i'd say private landlords would be more lenient than bigger companies such as clubeasy (who i'm using next year).
    Mine comes on March 1st. But then again they messed mine up, I had the last one January 31st, so only have a month to wait for the next installment.
    Mine comes on March 1st. But then again they messed mine up, I had the last one January 31st, so only have a month to wait for the next installment.
    I'm getting the impression the people who deal with student loans are wonderfully incompetent from reading the last few posts.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I get mine at the start of April. Plus I pay my halls over 8 installments, one a month as it means it can come out after my wages.
    from my experience, the SLC have been excellent - no problems with late payment or anything.

the only problem i have is with my university taking my fees out on time!
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm getting the impression the people who deal with student loans are wonderfully incompetent from reading the last few posts.

They are actually ok, they just seem to have no idea how to cope with the fact our uni has 2 semesters rather than 3 terms, so don't know when to give us our installments.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    stargalaxy wrote:
    ive never had a problem, but i know quite a few people who have. they arent very good in sept, just to warn you, as they have hundreds of thousands of applications...unfortunately in 3 years theyve not sorted it, so i doubt they will have by the new academic year.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    oh and Gavman, pop to your Advice Centre, or the Welfare Centre, at your uni or union they should be able to sort you out with a hardship loan...rent is definately a big tick in the box to be given it.
    i'd say if you get your application in early/on time then you shouldn't experience any problems. they're bound to experience a few hitches given the numbers of students that apply for and get given loans.
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    ive never had a problem, but i know quite a few people who have. they arent very good in sept, just to warn you, as they have hundreds of thousands of applications...unfortunately in 3 years theyve not sorted it, so i doubt they will have by the new academic year.
    Well, thanks for the advance warning.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    You can still get your form in on time and not have the loan. I didn't get my first installment till November this year.
    So far my loan company has been alright. Does it depend at all on your Local Education Authority how good your loan company is?

For my halls rent I pay it in 3 lumps, one to be paid before October 31st, one to be paid before Jan 31st and I don't know when the other one is due because I haven't paid for it yet.
    24th April for me too.

I'm fucked cos I've very little money left and I also need over a grand to pay for accommodation by the end of this month...I need a miracle.
    :lol: i'm glad i'm not the only one who's shit with money.
    im with clubeasy now, and next year i am stayiing with them but in a different house. I don't think the dates they have given us are very good at all, im payin mine of in one installment at the beginning, but thats even before we get our loan through. thats how i did it this year as well. Bit of a pain in the arse actually.
    So far my loan company has been alright. Does it depend at all on your Local Education Authority how good your loan company is?

For my halls rent I pay it in 3 lumps, one to be paid before October 31st, one to be paid before Jan 31st and I don't know when the other one is due because I haven't paid for it yet.
    Well the loans all come from the same place, Student Finance Direct (previously known as the Student Loans Company- SLC) but the administration aspects are done through you LEA and at times they need to contact your university.

So loan problems can be caused by bad administration on behalf of your LEA (the main culprits I understand), your university or Student Finance Direct themselves. Or indeed yourself if you don't get your forms done on time.
    Mia16 wrote:
    im with clubeasy now, and next year i am stayiing with them but in a different house. I don't think the dates they have given us are very good at all, im payin mine of in one installment at the beginning, but thats even before we get our loan through. thats how i did it this year as well. Bit of a pain in the arse actually.
    You pay 1 massive installment per year? That sound really weird!