Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Am I addicted?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now then, I reckon someone like rolly might know about this....

I've been on about 300-400mg of codiene everyday since beginning of september and I've been on a mixture of codiene and dihydrocodiene or just high doses of dhc for the last few weeks, this is all for a LEGIT purpose (road accident, leg/hip was in a mess) and I've just had another operation.

I came out of theatre with them thinking I was a smackhead because I had a tolerance to morphine, they gave me 60mg while I was under and then another 30 when I woke up (and fenatyl but I dunno how much!!)and then more mixed with dhc in the hours that followed. Thing is I had less in my first op and was out of it for 2 days! I was up and about within half an hour this time, despite having all that. Plus I've noticed my tolerance has rose greatly I need at least 180mgDHC/ Equivalent to TWICE the amount in CODIENE. Compared to before where 90mg codiene would put me in a nice place.

While I haven't been abusing any of these medicines I haven't denied myself the pleasure of enjoyin em.

But do you think it's likely I am addicted? I have never had to try stopping them, and my tolerance is making me need more and more which = more side effects and it starting take the piss. I have at least another 4-6 weeks on high doses before I get tapered off (hoping my GP tapers me anyway!).

Should I be concerned about an opiate addiction, Coz I feel like I am at least addicted mentally. I'm also concerned about the physical side. Plus this has given me a taste of opiates and I'm now really curious about 'em having done nearly every other drug goin :mad:

Feel like I've been fucked over by the NHS!! :eek2:

Comments

• Options
    OOh harsh. I hda one injection of pethadin (sp?) during childbirth and had cravings for nearly a year afterwards. I'm sure your doctor must know that you are going to have to wean off the drugs sfter having taken so much. I don't envy you that one though.
  • Options
    theres a very good chance you have developed a habit yes.
    the only way to know for sure is ...don't take any and see what happens.
    try 36 hrs without.
    along with temperature flutuations you will probably have seriously aching and restless legs ...won't be able to sleep and so on.
    coming off them can be a lot easier than the proffesionals like to tell you.
    it can of course be bloody difficult.
    you sound like your quite enjoying them ...so it will be bloody difficult.
  • Options
    Damn, that's certainly quite the borderline issue isn't it? Seems like you sincerely enjoy it, but it IS a totally legit prescription...

Although truthfully I personally couldn't consider your situation an addiction. As you said, you haven't abused it so far; keep it that way and you'll be much better off, especially given your current tolerancy level. A freind of mine has a similar situation. She is HDHD and has the highest possible dose (30 MG Adderall twice daily, more than enough for a good body buzz) and is on heavy antidepressants following the suicide of her best friend. last week she was crashing on anti-ds while coming up on the amphetamine and she could hardly put a fucking sentance together. Took 2 of us to get her out of my car...

...but again, I know for a fact that she has not been abusing her meds; it's all according to the recommended dosage...

...bear with it my friend, and just stay in the mindset that you are using for a valid medical reason, not to get high, and wean yourself off it gradually. You'll pull through. :thumb:
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I'm not sure about your advice to just stop taking it Rolly, that is definitely NOT the recommended course of action in any medical advice I have read.

Uprising, the advice you were given a few months ago still stands. At the very least call NHS Direct for advice, and the best thing to do would be to go and see your GP. You have a perfectly legit reason for taking codeine, but I think you have good reason to be concerned about your use. There are always pain relief alternatives, now would be a good time to check them out, don't you think? Have you been allocated some post op support, like physio or something?
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    I'm not sure about your advice to just stop taking it Rolly, that is definitely NOT the recommended course of action in any medical advice I have read.

?
    i certainly wouldn't advice it for alcohol or valium but opiates yes.
    lots of people go cold turkey.
    it never killed nyone.
    what i am suggesting is TRY ...to go without for 36hrs.
    if he feels fine then he has no physical addiction.
    starts to feel ill ..he knows he has and can resume his addiction.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    or he could go talk to his GP, that's what they are there for after all ;)
  • Options
    Hmmmm. A drug habit is not just about whether you have built a tolerance or got yourself a physical addiction. Its also about whether you have developed a psychological dependency too. You're saying you enjoy the feeling - I can understand that, I was prescribed dihydrocodeine recently after an op and they were quite pleasant. However I didn't feel the need to keep using them when I returned to work. Why? I have other things in my life that are more important to me - my job, my relationship etc. Whether you will feel the psychological need for these drugs after you no longer need them for medical purposes is down to what psychological benefit you get from them and what your social circumstances are (amongst other things).
    Sometimes if the social context is changed, the need for drugs also changes - for example soldiers coming home from Vietnam after using heavily out there not carrying on their habit back home as the circumstances were completely different.

So are you addicted? Who knows really. Addiction is a complex thing.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    or he could go talk to his GP, that's what they are there for after all ;)
    thats always a good idea but he's talking to us at the mo.

it appears to be very rare that people have difficulty quiting from medical use.
    but like i said before ...if your enjoying them ...then yes it is more likeley it will be more difficult.
    what your enjoying and why your enjoying it is the key.
    your enjoyment might have actualy gone into a sense of security ...trouble.
    they may make your reality easier in some way ...trouble.
    they may even improve your sex life ...trouble,
    the fact that your hear asking questions could also point to trouble.
  • Options
    What's the difference between ecstacy and prescription pills...not a lot. They both can become pyschologically addictive...same as alcohol...it'll give you that release you need or have become accustomed to. I wouldn't worry much though mate.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What's the difference between ecstacy and prescription pills...not a lot. They both can become pyschologically addictive...same as alcohol...it'll give you that release you need or have become accustomed to. I wouldn't worry much though mate.
    the BIG diffence being this is physicaly addictive opiates.
  • Options
    I think you should talk to your GP about moving from opiates to other types of pain killers, Tramadol perhaps.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. Bongbudda, I was also on tramadol for a couple of months but now I can't take them without them making me feel almost wired n just plain shit, strange really coz they made me feel really nice too when I first started taking them. Well I did mention it to my GP and he didn't really have a lot to say. But I went to another doctor while he was away and he called me a junkie coz of all the meds I'd been on haha.

I'll keep taking them until my leg has healed a bit better and I'll just go cold turkey with a few valiums maybe... just to see what it's like. Can't imagine it being much more than uncomfortable.

I'll be glad to hear anyone elses or any more thoughts... ta.
  • Options
    It could be more than just uncomfortable, Rolly's right that its not life threatening, but that doesnt mean its a walk in the park.

I think gradually reducing your dose is the best way forward, have you tried Voltarol, its supposed to be weaker than Tramadol but I found it to actually be better and have less nasty effects on the stomach.
  • Options
    Uprising wrote:
    Well I did mention it to my GP and he didn't really have a lot to say.
    very few gp's know anything at all about addiction which is outragous realy.
  • Options
    Yeah I've found that to be generally true.^^

Never heard of voltarol, docs never listen to when I suggest things anyway... just wanna do what they wanna do which aint always best.

I've tried going without for a bit, I'm at around 24hrs now and feel ok but I will be taking some later... gonna spend ages in hospital waiting room bored outta my skull! I actually feel great this morning except for a bit of a headache... could be just the nice weather making me feel good though.

Gonna just try and take as little as possible for a bit and let my tolerance drop a little. Then I'll go back to taking them as I feel necessary.

It really is suprising how UNwilling NHS are to give proper medication for anything... could be my age but either way it's still shocking. No wonder most people who have access to drugs seem to self-medicate themselves using what they know, the way the NHS is probably contributes to the drug problem overall (just my opinion, could be way off).

Light excercise and getting out really helps, I'd love to help anyone with anything similar. PM me if you have anything like!