Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reaction to Prophet Muhammad cartoons in London (pics)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Interesting use of the word 'retaliation' giving that they've been running anti-semitic cartoons for years I can't see that deciding to publish some more is really retalition, rather its more of the same.
  • Options
    you go as far as is decided is fair

if these people want a theocracy go to another country
    Define "fair" and what people can and cannot do.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Interesting use of the word 'retaliation' giving that they've been running anti-semitic cartoons for years I can't see that deciding to publish some more is really retalition, rather its more of the same.
    An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.
  • Options
    Originally Posted by -[MoonRat]-

So how far do you go?

And you can't stop people believing anything.

Let people believe whatever they want to. The second they take up arms to make others believe (or more likely ACT like they believe) the same thing is the second they should be atopped.

And it doesn't matter what the belief is either. No one has the right to use violence on anyone else just to make them conform to some ideal they have floating around inside their heads.
  • Options
    I don't mean to hijack this debate, but I'd like to bring something to your attention. Last night, BBC Two's Newsnight had a debate about "Islam and the West". A very interesting series of reports followed by some passionate debating. They spoke to a series of Muslims, one of whom was from the organisation that helped to organise the Friday demos in London - it was called Al-Ghurabaa.

At the time of posting, I can't find many links to this, aside from what the Newsnight producer said last night about the show. However, the man from Al-Ghurabaa was spouting utter hate. He attacked the other Muslims on the show, calling them "non-believers" and "non-practising Muslims" because they didn't share his extreme views. He was effectively preaching terrorist propaganda. (I'll put up some links if I find any later)

I've also checked the website of this organisation - it's absolutely revolting. There are articles encouraging Muslims to go out and protest violently. There are articles proclaiming their admiration for the "work" of Osama Bin Laden. They claim that "the concept of freedom of expression is indeed an evil one. It provides nothing but justifications to allow haters of Islam and God to broadcast their satanic views in a civilised and conniving manner.". There's also considerable venom aimed towards homosexuals. (I'm not giving the weblinks to such disgusting content, I don't feel these people deserve any more attention than is necessary)

With groups like this operating, can we really be surprised at the ugly, hate-filled scenes London has seen in recent days?
  • Options
    Well, on a related issue, some good news!

Abu Hamza found guilty!

:)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Ah, some good news at last. I bet that'll be front page tomorrow. Brilliant to hear it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I don't mean to hijack this debate, but I'd like to bring something to your attention. Last night, BBC Two's Newsnight had a debate about "Islam and the West". A very interesting series of reports followed by some passionate debating. They spoke to a series of Muslims, one of whom was from the organisation that helped to organise the Friday demos in London - it was called Al-Ghurabaa.

At the time of posting, I can't find many links to this, aside from what the Newsnight producer said last night about the show. However, the man from Al-Ghurabaa was spouting utter hate. He attacked the other Muslims on the show, calling them "non-believers" and "non-practising Muslims" because they didn't share his extreme views. He was effectively preaching terrorist propaganda. (I'll put up some links if I find any later)

I've also checked the website of this organisation - it's absolutely revolting. There are articles encouraging Muslims to go out and protest violently. There are articles proclaiming their admiration for the "work" of Osama Bin Laden. They claim that "the concept of freedom of expression is indeed an evil one. It provides nothing but justifications to allow haters of Islam and God to broadcast their satanic views in a civilised and conniving manner.". There's also considerable venom aimed towards homosexuals. (I'm not giving the weblinks to such disgusting content, I don't feel these people deserve any more attention than is necessary)

With groups like this operating, can we really be surprised at the ugly, hate-filled scenes London has seen in recent days?
    we should treat those who preach hatred for our way of life with kindness ...by chucking them out of the west and sending them to a country they will be happier in.
    i for one am pissed off with people who come to live in the west and then do all they can to topple it.
    we have invited and are nurturing our evilist enemies within our own city walls ...it is madness.
    kick them out. with nothing.
  • Options
    we should treat those who preach hatred for our way of life with kindness ...by chucking them out of the west and sending them to a country they will be happier in.
    i for one am pissed off with people who come to live in the west and then do all they can to topple it.
    we have invited and are nurturing our evilist enemies within our own city walls ...it is madness.
    I'm sure Afghanistan has plenty of caves for these nutters to rent.
  • Options

I'd rather most of them were here so we can keep a better eye on them to be honest.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'd rather most of them were here so we can keep a better eye on them to be honest.
    here they can get publicity and money to easily ...send the bastards to the kind of closed society they crave.
    they don't like anything about here apart from the fact they can abuse us so easily.
    fuck 'em off ...now!
  • Options
    here they can get publicity and money to easily ...send the bastards to the kind of closed society they crave.
    they don't like anything about here apart from the fact they can abuse us so easily.
    And the generous benefits they can receive from the state whilst they preach "death to the West".
  • Options
    fuck 'em off ...now!

Dont give them the publicity then, the only reason they have any sort of power is because the stupid tabloids make them out to be Bond villians.

Generous benefits? What all of £40 a week, let them have it.

If they really are dangerous then surely its better they are here where we can keep tabs on them.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    And the generous benefits they can receive from the state whilst they preach "death to the West".
    why would we want to keep them here ...oops bong ...like a bleedin' circus.
    send them home ...where we can keep an eye on them ...or a missile or two.
    if we don't strat acting with some courage ...the british nazi lot will have a field day ...soon.
  • Options
    why would we want to keep them here ...oops bong ...like a bleedin' circus.
    send them home ...where we can keep an eye on them ...or a missile or two.
    if we don't strat acting with some courage ...the british nazi lot will have a field day ...soon.

So if someone says something a bit nasty we should kill them? And thats better than their views how?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So if someone says something a bit nasty we should kill them? And thats better than their views how?
    it's not that simple though is it bong.
    i;m all for people saying what the hell they like but ...if you come here from abroad to live ...then make the most of it. enjoy everything you possibly can ...enjoy to the best what attracted you here in thre first place.
    but you can't honestly expect to come here and demand that i obey allah or die.
    anyone who thinks that is right and normal and acceptable ...is loosing it. is loosing the very things we cherrish.
  • Options
    well interesting you mention the killing point.

I mean we had someone there dressed as a suicide bomber, but how did we know he wasnt a real suicdie bomber? Getting in close neough to see if he had fake bombs on or real bombs on is too rsiky I would have thought.

Quite frankly I would have no problem on the army being called out on these people a dhave lethal force used. Then see if they wanna prostest as much eh?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Quite frankly I would have no problem on the army being called out on these people a dhave lethal force used. Then see if they wanna prostest as much eh?

So you want the army to be called in to shoot at what was basically a peaceful protest?

You've all gone bonkers.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So you want the army to be called in to shoot at what was basically a peaceful protest? You've all gone bonkers.
    I think calling in the army would have made everything a million times worse.
  • Options
    it's not that simple though is it bong.
    i;m all for people saying what the hell they like but ...if you come here from abroad to live ...then make the most of it. enjoy everything you possibly can ...enjoy to the best what attracted you here in thre first place.
    but you can't honestly expect to come here and demand that i obey allah or die.
    anyone who thinks that is right and normal and acceptable ...is loosing it. is loosing the very things we cherrish.

I didnt say it was normal, what I'm saying is virtually everyone should be able to say almost whatever they want.

And, if these people really are a danger to everything we hold dear they arent going to get less dangerous if we ship them off to some other country.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I didnt say it was normal, what I'm saying is virtually everyone should be able to say almost whatever they want.

And, if these people really are a danger to everything we hold dear they arent going to get less dangerous if we ship them off to some other country.
    i think keeping them at arms length ...a few thousand miles away ...would be easier and safer all round.
    it is madness to allow people to come and live in your house if those people are bent on destroying all you hold dear.
    would you invite me to live in your house if you knew i wanted to destroy it and you?
    how many people can we keep an eye on?
    lukewalkindude ...there was no need for the bleedin' army!
  • Options
    i think keeping them at arms length ...a few thousand miles away ...would be easier and safer all round.
    it is madness to allow people to come and live in your house if those people are bent on destroying all you hold dear.
    would you invite me to live in your house if you knew i wanted to destroy it and you?
    how many people can we keep an eye on?
    lukewalkindude ...there was no need for the bleedin' army!

No matter what the papers tell you there arent that many of these 'radical clerics', hell we've got loads of MI5 blokes sitting around doing nothing, I'm sure they could have followed a fat bastard like Abu Hamza around easily enough.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    No matter what the papers tell you there arent that many of these 'radical clerics', hell we've got loads of MI5 blokes sitting around doing nothing, I'm sure they could have followed a fat bastard like Abu Hamza around easily enough.
    Abu Hamza's about to spend the rest of his life in prison, hopefully.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Raise from the dead Adolf, you're needed again...

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Abu Hamza's about to spend the rest of his life in prison, hopefully.

The rest of his life?!
  • Options

Well being in another country and using it benefits while secretly wanting to destroy it isn't fair. If they don't like it...they can fuck off.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    The rest of his life?!
    Probably not. Revolving door justice system of this country. :(
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Probably not. Revolving door justice system of this country. :(

Either you think that he’s one of the most dangerous men in the whole UK or you’ve gone totally nuts.

I’m guessing you know absolutely nothing about what prison is really like.
  • Options
    I find myself with Morrocon roll again, if some one, regardless of their faith or skin colour, comes to Britain, then merely goes around saying people should be beheaded for drawing cartoons, dressing like suicide bombers, preaching hatred of white/British/Christian people, then they should be deported to a country where they can express themselves like that, better there then here!

The thing is, it is all well and good saying there are not that many terrorists here, and we have lots of MI5 agents and Special Branch boys who just sit around with nothing to do, and its all scare mongering, and regular muslims do not become suicide bombers....BUT thats the whole point! It is the ordinary who become extremist! How come the 7/7 terrorist attacks happened if we have so many MI5 agents to keep an eye on all terrorists? Because we do not know who the terrorists are, they are ordinary people who listen to the people preaching hate, get swept along in a tide of fundamentalism and then boom, bombs killing innocents! They are are not really Islamic, they are just nutters and murders with no justification.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Incidentally, from the first link, how are cartoons 1, 5 and 6 anti-semitic, exactly?

Cartoon 1 repeats the so-called "blood libel" that Jews drink the blood of Muslim babies. This is a surprisingly prevalent belief in the more backward countries of the world.

Cartoon 5 suggests that Jews control America from the shadows. Again, a belief held widely - but also by many moderate Muslims in this country in my experience. It doesn't seem that harmful a belief until you realise how most of the world's ills are currently being blamed on the US and then you'll see how the Jews might be in a similar kind of danger to that of the 30's and 40's.

Cartoon 6 needs context otherwise it means nothing (barring the Star of David being a sacred Jewish symbol of course).