Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Repeating a year

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
im considering repeating my final year

Ive fucked up majorly, have had alot to deal with in 2005 and ive got too far behind. In year 1 and 2 i was mainly getting marks of at least 60% (normally late 60's). Which means i am capable of a 2:1

This year im in the 40's. At this rate i will be getting a 3rd. If i have to leave with a 3rd i wont be happy because i know im capable of better. I know it would really depress, and constantly eat me up, me if i had to leave with lower than im capable of.

SO, i thinking of repeating this year if its possible. Anyone know if this is possible? And does anyone know if i will be able to get a student loan for a repeated year?

Any feedback welcome. Of course im not going to jump into anything, i will be seeing my course tutor to discuss things first.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know about the student loan- LEA are annoying me right now so... Do you know what you want to do when you leave? If you want to do certain grad jobs- they def ask for a 2:1 so maybe, for that reason alone it would be better to repeat and get a better grade. Also, you know you can do better, I know a big part of my wanting to do a degree is for personal satisfaction as well as the opportunities it presnets. Plenty of people take an extra year to do their degree, by changing course, repeating a year etc so other's have managed to get their LEA to co-operate I'm sure.
    My step-sisters boyfriend had to repeat a term (his course was structured in a way that you could just repeat a term not a whole year) due to illness but they would not let him have any extra student loan for doing this.

Your university should let you repeat but its up to them, they can be wankers about it if they want to be. But hopefully they will let you especially if you explain that it is for person reasons (I'm not sure what your reasons are but if they can be backed up by documentation e.g. doctors letter if it is health related this may help).
    Randomgirl wrote:
    My step-sisters boyfriend had to repeat a term (his course was structured in a way that you could just repeat a term not a whole year) due to illness but they would not let him have any extra student loan for doing this.

Your university should let you repeat but its up to them, they can be wankers about it if they want to be. But hopefully they will let you especially if you explain that it is for person reasons (I'm not sure what your reasons are but if they can be backed up by documentation e.g. doctors letter if it is health related this may help).

yep i definatly have proof on my doctors records :)
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I repeated a year way back and I managed to get a student loan. However, I would get in touch with them to find out for sure :)
    well it's worth thinking about but at the same time, don't give up yet. pull your socks up and work harder than you've ever worked in the last few months. it'll be worth it in the end. :yes:
    \
    i have repeated my second year and the student loan company were fine about it, i had to pay my own fees but you wont if you have a doctors note.

its worth thinking that most places wont let you repeate your dissertation
    I never even thought about tuition fee's :( i definatly cant repeat if i have to pay those, because i wont be able to earn enough over the summer due to a back injury

I definatly plan on pulling my socks up, but its the last seimester of my last year. All i have left is 3 exams, 1 assignment, and a dissertation. Not enough for me to raise my standards...
    Blah wrote:
    I never even thought about tuition fee's :( i definatly cant repeat if i have to pay those, because i wont be able to earn enough over the summer due to a back injury

I definatly plan on pulling my socks up, but its the last seimester of my last year. All i have left is 3 exams, 1 assignment, and a dissertation. Not enough for me to raise my standards...

but you might be able to get a 2:2. if last year you were getting 2:1's and this year so far you've got 3rds/2:2's then you might be able to average it out. there's no point in thinking you've failed already - you may aswell do your best now.
    but you might be able to get a 2:2. if last year you were getting 2:1's and this year so far you've got 3rds/2:2's then you might be able to average it out. there's no point in thinking you've failed already - you may aswell do your best now.

Yeh im definatly not going to give up until i have some sort of estimate from my course tutor
    Blah wrote:
    Yeh im definatly not going to give up until i have some sort of estimate from my course tutor

you'd best not be staying in lincoln ANOTHER year.

stalker. :grump: :crying:
    you'd best not be staying in lincoln ANOTHER year.

stalker. :grump: :crying:

haha it takes one to know one, u saw me first :p