Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I know this is probably in the wrong thread...

...so I'm really sorry but I need quick replies.

I have an interview at 1pm at this place tomorrow.

What should I wear? Would wearing a suit be too formal for bar/restaurant work? Could I not just wear some nice jeans (with some boots) with a nice top and jacket?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *Stacey* wrote:
    ...so I'm really sorry but I need quick replies.

I have an interview at 1pm at this place tomorrow.

What should I wear? Would wearing a suit be too formal for bar/restaurant work? Could I not just wear some nice jeans (with some boots) with a nice top and jacket?

no i wouldn't recommend jeans. yes, it's a bar/resteraunt or whatever but doesn't mean you should go casually. i'd suggest some plain black trousers and a nice shirt or something. i wouldn't go too formal though..but then you don't want to be too casual either.

good luck.
    yeah me too - black trousers and a shirt/smart top would be fine id have thought. for most interviews ive been too ive just worn black trousers, a shirt and if its cold, a v neck jumper too. and heels and a smart jacket, but not a suit jacket.

ETA - best to be too smart than too scruffy i think! so go for somwhere in between. :)
    I've always been told to dress for the interview, not the job. A suit might seem a bit formal since it's bar/restaurant work, but it just gives the interviewer the impression that you've made the effort and are a smartly turned out person, which is always something they look for in that kind of work.

I'd wear the suit, possibly with a V-neck jumper or similar underneath so you don't look overly formal. Or like others have suggested just wear smart trousers, a shirt and nicely polished boots or shoes.

Good luck with the interview, sure you'll be fab. :thumb:
    The thing is, if you click on the link, it looks like a rather classy place.

I don't have any bar experience (but its not essential) so I really do need to make a good impression.

I don't have any V Neck Jumpers.
    *Stacey* wrote:
    The thing is, if you click on the link, it looks like a rather classy place.

I don't have any bar experience (but its not essential) so I really do need to make a good impression.

I don't have any V Neck Jumpers.

so why on earth would you consider wearing jeans if you just said it looks rather classy?

you don't have to wear a v-neck jumper; chances are they'll have central heating.
    so why on earth would you consider wearing jeans if you just said it looks rather classy?.

Because I don't want to look overdressed.

I think I shall wear some black trousers with a nice top along with some boots.
    I would never wear jeans to an interview.

Black trousers, nice shoes and a splash of colour with a nice coloured top or summat.
    I'd just go for blouse and trousers. If possible, some snappy shoes and maybe a nice jumper over your shirt if you're feeling adventurous ;)

EDIT: oops you're a girl :)
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    yeah i agree with the majority, id say a nice, coloured blouse, (not white looks very 'schoolish') black trousers and some heels, i wouldnt say boots, perhaps some black pointy shoes if you have any, as it looks better when u sit down and cross your legs. and a small bag. good luck!
    I got the job! :D I've just had the phone call telling me!
    *Stacey* wrote:

OMG YAY. So proud of ya, love.
    <33
    *Stacey* wrote:

well done!

and yeh, what did you wear?

you wouldn't have got it if you'd worn jeans. :p

no more mcdonalds for you then?
    No more Maccies EVER EVER again! I'm never going back there.

In the end I wore some black trousers with some pointy black shoes. I wore a nice pink top with it and took a cute little black handbag!

Yay! I'm so pleased! From what the manager was telling me before, this place is going to be a really really good place to work for. Hehe!
    Yay. Congrats. You rock. High Five.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Yippeee :D

New Year, New Start etc. Fantastic.

I'm well pleased for you :)
    Yay! Thanks guys! I'm well chuffed :D
    Well done you :)
    sounds much more scary than my interview

which was a 5minute jobbie before me and the then manager started talking about random shit
    MrG wrote:
    sounds much more scary than my interview

which was a 5minute jobbie before me and the then manager started talking about random shit

Ew, so you had a long poo, then talked about more poo? That's fucking sick.
    1983 wrote:
    Ew, so you had a long poo, then talked about more poo? That's fucking sick.

was more along the lines of who he shouldnt and should sack
    Great stuff Stace :). I'll organise a hooligan biker meet there over the summer just to get you in trouble ;).

I think we should sign the car park with skidmarks... do you think we could manage the word 'Stace' without falling off? ;)
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    well done babes!!
    Thank you.

I handed my resignation into Mc'Donalds on Saturday. This was what I wrote...

Dear Managers name,

Please accept this as formal notice of my resignation from the position of a Customer Care Assistant with effect from 3rd February. In accordance with my contract of employment I am happy to continue to work my weeks notice until 10th February. Thanks for the time you have given me within your company.

Yours sincerely
    My name

I've just got a message from one of my work mates though that the manager wants to talk to me. Theres nothing wrong with my resignation is there? I'm giving the notice that is required for the company. I'm worried as to why the manager wants to talk to me.
    Exit interview maybe? Maybe they want to offer you some incentive to stay?

Your letter of resignation is fine :)
    Exit interview?

Theres no way in hell I'm staying there. I have been meaning to leave for years now.

I'm going to pop into work tomorrow to at least confirm that I am actually leaving!
    I reckon it'll be an exit interview... most big companies have them before you leave, so they can find out why you're leaving, what you liked/hated, etc etc. Don't worry about it, it won't reflect on you.

Congratulations, btw.
    Ok, well I have just rang my manager, well it was the assistant manager. I asked him why he wanted to talk to me and he just said "well, you never said why you were leaving and we *need* to know". I never realised this was a requirement of a resignation? I just simply said I have a new job which pays better although there are a million and one reasons why I want to leave Maccies. He asked where I had a job and he joked (well hopefully he was joking :( ) saying that he knows the manager and he is going to get me sacked within a week. I wish I wasn't gullible. I actually believe him :(
    they'll want to know why you're leaving so say you were having problems with such and such..they might try and change it so no more people will leave!

i wouldn't take him saying he'd get you sacked literally.
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Ok, well I have just rang my manager, well it was the assistant manager. I asked him why he wanted to talk to me and he just said "well, you never said why you were leaving and we *need* to know". I never realised this was a requirement of a resignation? I just simply said I have a new job which pays better although there are a million and one reasons why I want to leave Maccies. He asked where I had a job and he joked (well hopefully he was joking :( ) saying that he knows the manager and he is going to get me sacked within a week. I wish I wasn't gullible. I actually believe him :(

So write in to them and tell them in no uncertain terms that you are leaving because of the attitude your manager has with his staff. Record the details of the call, and also send a copy to human resources at the head office.

Get him a little grief in return for putting the wind up you ;).

for future reference - don't tell companies where you are planning on moving to. You'll gain nothing from it, and you risk walking into an awkward situation with an aggrieved manager ;).
    I told him where I was working because he asked :( Oops. I'm sure he was joking, well at least I hope he was.