Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

new computer help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
all you computer clever people out there, maybe you can help me:

Basically, my boyfriend and I wanna get a second computer since we are always fighting over who uses the computer (for reasons, see other posts entitled 'world of warcraft' :p ) and also i just think i should have my own computer anyway.
i mostly use the computer to use the internet and messenger, to download and keep my music, some wordprocessing, and then games. Although i would like to get a laptop because of space; people have said this is a bad idea as laptop is no good for games :S so i guess i need desktop.
I would spend up to £1000 although of course it would be great if it could be much cheaper than that.
have been looking at computer stuff on the internet and seriously, it is all another language to me - i literally have no idea what they are talking about :P all the specifications are beyond my understanding...
So, any advice you could give me would be so wonderful.
Here are 2 examples that have been recommended to me, let me know what u think and if you have any other ideas:
Komplett AMD Athlon 64 PCI Express
Article number: 307307
NEC DVD±RW burner, ND-3550A, 16x,
Videoseven 17" LCD E17PS Monitor,
Norman IC, 1 year license Virus Control
PC box
SoftThinks Installation/Recovery
Gigabyte GA-K8NMF9,nForce4-4x,Socket-939
Logitech Media Keyboard Elite
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz Socket 939,
Samsung SpinPoint P120S 200GB SATA2
Trust Ami Mouse 250S Optical
APLUS Case Dark Trooper, Front in Black
AKASA Powersupply ATX/EPS 12V 400W
TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB Dual Pack
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2
POINT OF VIEW GeForce 7800GT 256MB,
Sony Floppy Drive, 3,5" 1,44MB Black
CNet PCI Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

http://www.alienware.co.uk/Configurator_Pages/aurora_ddr.aspx?SysCode=PC-EU-A51AURORA&SubCode=SKU-PERFORMANCE
but with 7800GT graphic card added (oh and purple colour of course :P )URORA&SubCode=SKU-PERFORMANCE

Comments

• Options
    Well if you spend £££££ then you can get a Laptop that will play games better than some PC's, it's all down to components.

If you can build one yourself, or know someone that can, then it's far cheaper to do this and buy all the parts and then assemble.

Alienware are good, but they really arn't worth forking out all that cash when you could build one for cheaper!
  • Options
    The first system you listed is ok, some of the components are average, such as the power supply.

The second system is Alienware, so fairly much designed to be a solid gaming system. If I were going to get that one though, I'd pay the extra and get the GTX card. I'd also consider going for the Enermax power supply.
  • Options
    thanks for your comments :)
    others have told me also about building one but really i know so little about computers that i dont really think this is an option for me :p
    if you have any other ideas, let me know :)
  • Options
    flighty wrote:
    thanks for your comments :)
    others have told me also about building one but really i know so little about computers that i dont really think this is an option for me :p
    if you have any other ideas, let me know :)

Building a computer is a nice idea, but to be honest today you can buy one that will have better build quality for the same price, if not less. Especially if you need a complete system including monitor and other bits.

Companies like Alienware and www.overclockers.co.uk will sell you pre-built stuff with high quality components, and from certain place you will get support that you don't get if you build your own.

My computer is a Mesh computer. They put together a good box for me, unfortunately I didn't get a PCI-E motherboard as they were only just coming out at the time.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Go for the Alienware.
  • Options
    thanks so much for all your advice :)
    got another couple of options from looking at a few things... (as u can tell, i am terrible about making up my mind :p)

DELL £1097
    Base: Intel® Viiv™ technology -Intel® Pentium® D 830 Dual Core(3.00GHz,800MHz,2x1MB)
    Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
    Memory: 1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz (2x512) Memory
    Monitor Dell E196FP 19" Midnight Grey (TCO99) Flat Panel Monitor
    Video Card: 128MB ATI Radeon® X600 SE graphics card
    Hard Drive: 250GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst cache
    13-in-1 Media Card Reader, USB
    CD/DVD Drives: 8x max. DVD+/-RW Drive
    Sound Cards: Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio
    Standard Warranty 1-Year Collect and Return service

not sure about the graphics card.

MESH £1068
    Matrix² Prestige (03)
    AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ with HT Tech.
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    Midi-Tower ATX Case +550W PSU -Black/Silver
    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe PCI-Express Mainboard - ATX
    1024MB DDR400 Memory - PC3200 (2x512)
    250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
    SONY 16x Dual Layer DVD-Re-Writable +R/-R/RW
    256MB nVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT - TV-Out + DVI - PCI-Express
    19" TFT Flat Panel Monitor - DVI & Analogue
    7.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio (on-board)
    1.44MB - 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
    Internal 15-in-1 Memory Card Reader
    Classic Warranty - 3 Years Back-to-Base - Parts & Labour

but i heard people have had a lot of problems with service from Mesh..

EVESHAM £1202
    AMD Athlon 64x2 processor 3800+
    nVIDIA 4PCI express mainboard
    1GB dual channel DDR RAM (PC3200) 400MHz (2x512mb)
    200Gb SATA 7200rpm hard drive with 8Mb buffer
    256mb DDR nVIDIA 7800GT PCI express graphics card
    17" Viewsonic DVI TFT screen
    16x dual layer DVD re-writer

bit more expensive but heard they are reliable company

thanks again for any help :)
  • Options
    Personally, if I was going to spend up to a grand on a PC, I wouldn't buy one 'off the shelf'. But then I'm able to buy and build my own. But if you have to, I wouldn't get it from Dell. They're fine if you want cheap and cheerfull, but I always feel they're high spec systems are overpriced.

Are you shure you don't know anyone who can build you one? (or even a friend of a friend).
  • Options
    flighty wrote:

but i heard people have had a lot of problems with service from Mesh..

It's not as great as it could be. Mine is a Mesh PC. When the dvd rom stopped, they got someone out fairly quickly, no problem. However, the web based help system can be a bit slow in response - not sure about the phone system.

Also I'm not sure if my 6800 GT that they've given me is really a GT or not - it's not badged as it but does run at GT speeds, but I left it too long to get it replaced. I'd check out all your components when you get it.
  • Options
    flighty wrote:
    Although i would like to get a laptop because of space; people have said this is a bad idea as laptop is no good for games :S so i guess i need desktop.

http://www.rockdirect.com/ have good some laptops if you want to spend alot.