Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Buying The Wrong Thing For You Computer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ever bought the wrong thing for you computer?

I just bought a PCI Express graphics card for my HP Server and went to install it and it wouldn't fit.

Turned out I have PCI-X

Which as I found out to my cost aint the same thing .. :eek2:

Luckily the card I bought was shown the wrong price on the net and the shop sold it to me at the lower price - paid £58 for it when they said the true price was over £100 - so might just stick it on ebay!!

or might just keep it for when I build me next PC

Comments

• Options
    Just goes to show how everyone should read up properly about what their system specs are and what can be added to it before buying anything...!

Yes it is easily done, but also easily avoided. Looks like you've come off ok though! Make a profit!
  • Options
    Yeah - always research components and see if they are compatible with your mobo and that you have enough 'space' in there.
  • Options
    only last week i got four cans of carlsberg special and a half ounce of weed for my computer ...
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    Just goes to show how everyone should read up properly about what their system specs are and what can be added to it before buying anything...!

Yes it is easily done, but also easily avoided. Looks like you've come off ok though! Make a profit!

Wellt eh server also had a PCI Express slot - but that also turned out to be a different size.

And the card only said PCI Express on it not what kind of PCI Express it was

Obviously if I had more research time would have gone through it in greater details but when you strike lucky and the guy says you can have something for almost half price but got to decide then and there you take a calculated risk.

Only came across the card 2 minutes before leaving for central London and just printed it off to look at cos I knew I'd be passing the shop, if the guy had said you'd have to pay full price I wouldn't have risked it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    only last week i got four cans of carlsberg special and a half ounce of weed for my computer ...
    :lol:
    It goes in the USB, I think.

I bought an 80mmfan for my old PC. Found out it was a 60mm port. Oops.
  • Options
    PCI instead of AGP. PC World let me take it back though :-)
  • Options
    Nash wrote:

Not only that, but the fact that this industry still uses the wrong naming conventions doesn't help in the slightest. If two different interfaces had two different names, then stuff like this wouldn't happen.

Ask the average Joe to work out which processor he needs to upgrade his system and you'll be laughing at him for a while...

I never buy the wrong thing. I'm very thorough when it comes to handing over my cash. But I know that it is very easy to get a little mixed up when so many different acronyms are used...