Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bush-Blair secret deal revealed

I want you all to think of weeks before the start of the Iraq war. I want you to remember Bush and specially Tony Blair, with his big toothed smile/ worried statesman look (choose as applicable), telling everyone in the 4-6 weeks before the war began how war "was the last thing [they] wanted" and how all diplomatic avenues would be exhausted before contemplating the use of force.

Now read this:
Tony Blair told President George Bush that he was "solidly" behind US plans to invade Iraq before he sought advice about the invasion's legality and despite the absence of a second UN resolution, according to a new account of the build-up to the war published today.

A memo of a two-hour meeting between the two leaders at the White House on January 31 2003 - nearly two months before the invasion - reveals that Mr Bush made it clear the US intended to invade whether or not there was a second UN resolution and even if UN inspectors found no evidence of a banned Iraqi weapons programme.

[...]Mr Bush told Mr Blair that the US was so worried about the failure to find hard evidence against Saddam that it thought of "flying U2 reconnaissance aircraft planes with fighter cover over Iraq, painted in UN colours". Mr Bush added: "If Saddam fired on them, he would be in breach [of UN resolutions]".

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/iraq/story/0,,1700881,00.html

I want to ask everyone, but especially those who supported and still support the war, what they think of those two fucking liars. Can anyone justify such appalling hypocritical spectacle? Daily press conferences to claim they were men of peace and that they would only use force as a last resort, when they had already set the date nearly two months in advance regardless of whether any WMDs were found... Talking of obtaining a second UN resolution as "insurance", specially against "the Arabs"... Thinking of painting US military planes in UN colours and hope that Saddam will shoot one down...

Can anyone be any more of a twunt? :mad:

I must say, I've always thought Bush was a ****. But in view of the latest revelations, I am now starting to see Tony Blair as an even bigger **** than Bush is.

So, to war supporters past and present? Can you justify this?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Evidence or not I thought it was obvious we were going to war long before it happened.

It does prove the old saying right, two men can have a secret deal, as long as one is dead.
  • Options
    As above?

Is this news?
  • Options
    Not to you or me. But it 'officially' proves beyond any doubt that Blair lied through his teeth repeteadly over this.

For that, he should resign immediately.

And even though the word 'liar' is forbidden in the House of Commons, MPs should now be able to routinetly use it on Blair without any consequences.
  • Options
    When the Iraq war was being mooted, I was nervous. I thought Saddam was a menace, but the evidence of WMD didn't entirely convince me. When it started, I supported it reluctantly for the reason that British soldiers were in Iraq and that Saddam was a total bastard who I wouldn't mind seeing removed from power. Within weeks of the conflict ending, I knew I'd made a big mistake in supporting the war.

Since then, I have been doing some of my own research into this. We have seen in the press that the claims made by Bush & Lapdog were not true. We have seen the extent of their lies, and the way the useless Tories collaborated in these lies. We have seen Iraq turn into a bloodbath.

No, there is no justification for any of this. There is no justification for the lies they told. My trust in politicians has completely collapsed as a result. When the next Prime Minister says there is a country producing dangerous weapons, will the people of the United Kingdom believe him/her?

This war was the biggest foreign policy mistake since Vietnam, and I regret more and more every day that I initally supported this mad folly.
    Aladdin wrote:
    And even though the word 'liar' is forbidden in the House of Commons, MPs should now be able to routinetly use it on Blair without any consequences.
    The point of these rules is to show the integrity and dignity of our politicians. Trouble is, such values do not apply to Tony Blair. The Labour Party remains lazily compliant on this issue, the Tories are damaged goods thanks to their stupid support for the war, and the LibDems cannot be taken seriously at the moment. Who will speak out for the people of this country, who believe we have been led into a bloodbath?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

I'm not sure its as clear cut as they are making out;

"He is quoted as saying he was "solidly with the president and ready to do whatever it took to disarm Saddam"."

Which they say means that he has definately decided to go to war, but does it?
  • Options
    Known killer and thief also tells porkies.

I may die of shock. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Known killer and thief also tells porkies.
    I may die of shock. :rolleyes:
    Why the apathy? Isn't it important we have at least some confidence that our leaders are telling the truth?
  • Options
    He's not "my leader" and everything the smug fucker says is a lie.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Why the apathy? Isn't it important we have at least some confidence that our leaders are telling the truth?

Dont ask questions like that to Klintock, in his world everything is quite different to how the rest of us see it.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Dont ask questions like that to Klintock, in his world everything is quite different to how the rest of us see it.
    Alright, I'll ask you then, Bongy. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Yes it is important, but no, no one does.

Its interesting that for you it was the War which made you realise they lie, you've got a lot to learn before you start your course.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its interesting that for you it was the War which made you realise they lie, you've got a lot to learn before you start your course.
    :yeees: That's not what I meant. I knew politicians have always lacked a grasp of the truth, but the war simply showed me just how much they will lie. Recent years have shown more and more to me about it. I have been naive about it in the past, perhaps too trusting.
  • Options
    Ignore what they say and watch what they do.

Speech -

"Freedom, dignity, social justice, fairer more equal society blah blah blah"

Reality -

Do what they say, pay them what they demand, when they demand it or get threatened with jail, get kidnapped if you still refuse, what you have worked for gets forcibly taken from you and you get put in a cage. No one is presumed innocent in a tax court or any other court where the "state" stands to gain.

Every time you deal with anyone from the state, they are offering either money obtained through threats or just straight threats. If you accept money from them, it has been obtained through threats or actual violence.

When TB stands up and says "education, education, education" what he really is saying is "I will rob your neighbours for you, to teach your children things I want them to accept". Why do you think you have such a hard time dealing with the fact that there are no countries?

Governments do not open lemonade stands to fund what they do. They take it by force or threats of force.

The whole of political language is designed to hide this simple fact. The "benefits" they offer are just PR to help hide that fact.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Governments do not open lemonade stands to fund what they do.
    The New Labour Lemonade Stand. Come and get your New Labour Lemonade, sold by the conman that is Tony Blair. The fizz wears out of the drink, in the same way you get more and more disappointed at Labour's miserable performance in office. People complain the lemonade is murky and unclear - just like the politicians they bought the lemonade from...

Sorry, imagination carried me away there...
  • Options
    I can't see the story being picked up by the BBC web site just yet ... do you think they are scared of losing their charter?
  • Options
    "To be GOVERNED is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so.

To be GOVERNED is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished.

It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be place under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first world of compliant, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonored. That is government; that is its justice; that is its morality."

P.J. Proudhon.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    I can't see the story being picked up by the BBC web site just yet ... do you think they are scared of losing their charter?
    Of course they are! We know the BBC have their heads in the sand as far as Labour are concerned. Tony Blair and his lying cohorts can do no wrong for them. Morons.
  • Options
    But they did blow a lid on the '40 minute' missile saga at the start of the war ...
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    But they did blow a lid on the '40 minute' missile saga at the start of the war ...
    45 minutes... :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    :lol:
  • Options
    Well, it doesnt surprise me about Bush, i thought he and the yanks were always going into the war! As for Blair, well shows him a cuntwit...then again, so does everything else he has ever done!
  • Options
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Hey, when you're being nuked by non-existent WMD missiles, what's 5 mins???? :p
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I want to ask everyone, but especially those who supported and still support the war, what they think of those two fucking liars. Can anyone justify such appalling hypocritical spectacle?

I don’t see any significance of this Aladdin. Bush and Blair were both being pragmatic recognising realistically the best approach we could take towards Saddam. To be honest I’d be surprised if Blair wasn’t “solidly” behind US plans to invade Iraq prior to considering legal formalities; indeed for those of us that support the significance of the special relationship Blair’s support for our close friendship with the Untied States is reassuring. There's an article you might enjoy here btw Aladdin.

And on a side note we can both be grateful for a continuation of Britain’s close friendship with its greatest ally the United States under the next Conservative government when David Cameron becomes Prime Minister. :)
  • Options
    It's not just the question of the validity of the war (a massive question in itself, but done to death and answered beyond any doubts) but the fact that both Bush and Blair said on numerous ocassions in the run up to the war that they definitely did not want to go war if it was at all possible and that they would wait for all diplomatic channels to be exhausted when
    • They were prepared to falsely impersonate the UN
    • They were prepared to have their own planes shot at (I'm sure the would-be US pilots will be very grateful to their Commander-in-Chief for such contempt for their lives) in order to justify a war
    • They knew perfectly well that WMDs were not going to be found, that Iraq had no links to terrorism and that every last single excuse they had put forward was a LIE
    • They cowardly wanted a UN resolution approving of the war to bail them out politically, not because they had any regard for international law as they claim

Anyone who has but the faintest trace of decency and sense of right and wrong should be repulsed by that pair of lying, cheating, murdering subhuman war criminals, regardless of whether they thought about the war itself.
  • Options
    well i agree with laddin but ...the sad bit is that public interest has waned ...oo another dead soldier ...ooo another lie ...so what.

that sadly is exactly what these guy knew would happen.
    it didn't matter how many people were blown to bits in northern ireland after a couple of yers.
    the powers that be know ...fashion binge drinking big brother east enders and having a holiday are far more important to the masses.
    sadly ...aladdins rightous indignation is how everyone should be felling and reacting ...except klint of course ...the reality is ...few realy give a shit.